wireless computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatrax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I searched for a while and found some inferences to my questions below, but i decided to just ask them.

I have 2 questions:

1. Other than the obvious, what are the pros and cons of a wireless dive computer?
and
2. What are the best brands and style?

I am experienced, dive nitrox and my max depth is 150. The thought of not having a hose coming off my regulator is a good thought; I am trying to streamline all the crap (I know its important stuff) I carry.

Thanks

Steve

The most common complaint about the hoseless computer is failure to link. I have experience with Oceanic VT3 and Suunto Vytec. While I prefer the Suunto computer itself, I no longer use the transmitter and have replaced this with a brass and glass gauge. The Oceanic has never caused a problem but I still like the presentation of the Suunto better and have given up on Suunto's wireless technology. By the way, I have two Suuntos (one for wife) and both have caused numerous problems.

1. Other than the obvious, what are the pros and cons of a wireless dive computer?
2. What are the best brands and style?
Pros first. One less hose, hence more streamlined. They are AI, therefore you get a lot of cool features that AI computers tend to have (calculating dive time remaining based upon available air or NDL, calculating getting you to the surface with a reserve including any stops, so on so forth). I think one of the Aeries computers will allow you to check your buddies gas supply, provided they are using the same computer. I do think that is a cool idea.

Cons. I've found when I use my wife setup, Aeries Atmos Elite, that sometimes it will loose the signal if I'm swimming with my arms crossed. The cool features that the AI computers tend to have, like I mentioned above. This can be construed as a negative because it allows your brain to relax and not 'think'. One more battery to check, therefore one more battery to fail. Camera strobes tend to disrupt the signal.

As for which model...no thoughts.

My wife and I have had Aeris Atmos Elites for several years and her's would lose the link more frequently than mine for some reason? It always checked out the same but it frustrated her so for this Christmas I bought her an Atmos AI with the hose and a quick disconnect. I'm sure she'll like that better and won't have to get familiar with a new interface since they are virtually the same computer. I think I'm going to get a glass gauge for air pressure and just use both Atmos Elite computers for myself, one as a back up. I have had a battery fail at depth and had to abort a dive once and that was a bit disconcerting.

I use a transmitter or SPG, sometimes both.

Pros - you can look at your wrist and see everything.

Cons - failure to link, deck dorks are known to grab the transmitter while schlepping your kit. I keep mine on a short hose and it have tucked between the cylinder and wing.

The whole one less hose more streamlined is specious. My B&G SPG hose is quite streamlined and in the big scheme of things the slight reduction is little. People would better off learning better positioning in the water column and as well as tethering that brick of a console that drags along the reef with their octo.

I've used the Oceanic VTPro (precurser to the VT3) and Scubapro SmartTec.

I found that with the Oceanic I regularly lost link. I have yet to lose the link with the Scubapro until I take off my rig and walk away from it on the boat.

Pros (IMHO) - Streamlined, more information to manage your dive.

Cons (IMHO) - More technically enhanced means more possible points of failure. Also, many people substitute a good tool for good planning and good habits. It should enhance, not replace.

In regards to those who state that you should not use higher technology on more advanced dives, I agree that the above mention on possible failure points is a significant consideration, but this needs to be an informed decision, aware of the additional burdons it places besides the obvious benefits.

But anyone who says that wireless or AI computers are dangerous are pointing to a flawed logic. Fighter jets (and many of today's weaponry) are loaded with sophisticated electronics, and I dare say that they are in life-and-death situations as well. They also have contingency protocols for failures.

Increased danger only comes with a failure to acknowledge potential/added risk and not accomodating for it accordingly. There was a time when Nitrox was killer gas, then it was Trimix, and I still laugh at those who claim that dive computers are a danger. As I said above, it is a diver who dives beyond their capabilties (physical - mental - environmental) that poses a risk to others, not the equipment.

Don't blame the tool for the owner's inabilitiy to use it well. As I've heard said "Guns don't kill people, my cousin Vinny kills people.":D

After doing a lot of research and making a post very similar to this one - I just placed my order for an Aeris Epic today. Most of the guys I have talked to have first hand experience with the Epic and they all love it. No one I've talked to has had anything other than "I've lost a signal momentarily" and even then that's not the norm. I've never had anyone tell me that they dropped the signal at depth and were unable to get it back.

I'm going to put a button-gauge on my first stage for a little redundancy. For all it's benefits, wireless technology (in any application) is still imperfect and subject to interference. But I guess it all depends on what your expectation is.

I have a few Oceanic wireless computers. A VT3, an Atom 1.0 and an Atom 2.0.
To me to pros outweigh the cons.
Pros:
These are all highly reliable, quality dive computers.
No matter how well mounted consoles can come loose, drag, entangle and damage sensitive underwater environments. It allows for the removal of the hose and console and eliminates those possibilities.
Cons:
Flooding of a computer
Link failure(including battery and transmitter failure) - This is only a problem if it doesnt reestablish itself within a period of time that would make gas management impossible. The deeper you are diving the faster this becomes critical. To maintain safety it may become necessary to abort the dive if communications are lost.
Notes:
Many computer divers (myself included) use a second computer as a backup to lower the risk of a computer induce dive abort. Others maintain a hosed console which negates the Pros.
Points of failure are actually very similar:
A hosed console has failure points at each end of the hose, the hose itself, the pressure gauge and the depth gauge separately.
While the computer has the 2 batteries, the connection point of the transmitter, transmitter and the computer itself.

I have the oceanic atom 2.0 havent lost link in a long time and when it lost link psi would just flash so you know ok im at 2300 when link lost about 2 mins ago was my last check so im still good for a couple mins and hopefully link will come back up. the oceanic and aeris i believe are the same MFG but im not positive, then its suunto and Scubapro for the others (pretty much 4 companies for them)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom