winter surge??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone tell me when the best time February thru April to avoid surges? When went in /january a few yrs ago, there was horrible surge, don't want to feel the maytag feeling again. Any news on these swells would help, thanks..:D

espantoon:
Can anyone tell me when the best time February thru April to avoid surges? When went in /january a few yrs ago, there was horrible surge, don't want to feel the maytag feeling again. Any news on these swells would help, thanks..:D

More towards April would be better. You have a great chance at seeing the humpbacks in February. Of course the surge depends on what the weather is bringing in. This is of course on Oahu. Can't help you out with any of the other islands.

Which island? The North Shore of Oahu is out untill March/April, but the South shore up to about Electric Beach would be fine. Just take a look at the Surf Report before you go.

You can almost always find a spot to dive the Big Isle. Where are you going?

We are going to be on the Big Isle for 7 days and Maui for 2 days. Some are divers and some are not.
Last time we were there in winter it was alot of surge, like being in a washer, and it was hard for boats to find good spots, we were putting a finger down to keep from getting run into coral and moving with the surge alot. It was not as enjoyable as when we were there in summertime. Is there a time that is best for avoiding this and is still relatively slow season? Like March or April??

bnkysgrl:
We are going to be on the Big Isle for 7 days and Maui for 2 days. Some are divers and some are not.
Last time we were there in winter it was alot of surge, like being in a washer, and it was hard for boats to find good spots, we were putting a finger down to keep from getting run into coral and moving with the surge alot. It was not as enjoyable as when we were there in summertime. Is there a time that is best for avoiding this and is still relatively slow season? Like March or April??

January generally has the most surgy days, with February following. The six pack boats generally cancel on days the diving will be lousy, most of the biggers boats generally won't. For March and April, just make sure to avoid spring break if you want it slow. I'd avoid the last two and a half weeks of March. Last year it seemed to slow down earlier than in years past, definitely by the second week of April, the later the better in those regards.

Just for info sake, slowest months are May, September, October and early November. All will generally have good water conditions, although it's been a bit swelly lately, but not so bad that you can't find a good spot.

later,

Wildcard:
You can almost always find a spot to dive the Big Isle. ..

except when I went :( ended up doing all my dives in the Kona harbor... nice as far as harbors go, but I would have liked to go to some of the other sites too :wink:

What the others have said is pretty much true of all the islands, the surf swells tend to come from one direction at a time, you go to the opposite shore and that's where the better diving "tends" to be that day. Or just look at the guys driving around with surfboards, if they are smiling go to the other side of the island :wink:

Aloha, Tim

I think we have decided on February 10-18th. Any thoughts? Also we will have three that will need refferals to get certified, any thoughts on shops for this? Our usual is Pac Rim, but they can't certify, so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for this and about how much it will run each??

bnkysgrl:
I think we have decided on February 10-18th. Any thoughts? Also we will have three that will need refferals to get certified, any thoughts on shops for this? Our usual is Pac Rim, but they can't certify, so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for this and about how much it will run each??

I'm doing PADI and SDI referrals for $275 plus tax. That seems to be pretty close to the going rate plus or minus $25 depending on the dive operator.

I would recommend that whoever you sign up with, shoot to get your referrals done early in the week. February is usually better than January in terms of swell, but if it turns out to be bad, it'll usually clear up in a couple days so you'd still have an opportunity to finish up. Every now and then we run into people who plan their dives for the end of their trip and if the swell is huge it just doesn't work out.

Have fun,

Man I wished I lived in an area where I could do referrals. That'd be the way to make a few bucks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom