A new normal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A new reality. A new normal. Last year, I was my sister's sole caregiver as she was in her final weeks of life. I was not fully trained in how to assist her, and on January 15th i severely injured my back. I've had one surgery already, and about 2 months after, a new pain emerged. They've given me two steroid injections, but my back pain is worsening. It used to be I could stand for five/ten minutes, but now the nerve is in pain/tension all the time. I think I'm mentally blocking most of the pain, so I just feel the tension. Standing up is over the limit, and I often have pain induced Tourette's. Walking is better than standing, but it also hurts. Sigh. I went to my physician today and I'm going to apply for full disability. Since I live alone, she's going to start the paperwork for a motorized wheelchair... I don't want a scooter. I can survive in the house, but I can't clean anymore. It's an emotional day. I am getting two more steroid shots next Friday and a nerve conduction study the Wednesday after.

It's been well over a year and I'm still in pain. I'm hoping for relief, but I won't believe it until I have no more pain. It's time to plan like this will be permanent. I'm not so much disappointed as I am resigned to it. I don't want to stop trying whatever I can do to be whole again, but I just don't see it happening.

So, talk to me about options. I'm starting my online application for full disability. As I noted my physician is doing the paperwork for a wheelchair. I can walk a few minutes at a time, and I feel relief in the water. What's next? What are your suggestions, and please be verbose. I need specifics. Type slowly so I can keep up. :D :D :D

@DiveHeart

Sorry to hear about your back. Im on the heating pad now. I got no advice but I can empathize.
And thanks... I need the all the good vibes I can get.

Ugh, that sucks. Two suggestions:

1. Prolotherapy. Google it, but I know several people besides myself who had chronic problems that a couple of treatments cleared up.

2. As big as you are, consider a gastric bypass. The average patient loses 75% of their excess body mass (i.e. fat). I had one almost two years ago, and I went from the 320s to the 190s. It is life-changing, though it turned me from a polar bear in the water, to a complete wimp about cold.

I had one almost two years ago, and I went from the 320s to the 190s.
After the first steroid shot, my doctor did a routine check and my A1C was high. Long story short, I qualified for Monjaro. I've lost almost 40 pounds since Christmas.

However, I incurred an injury not related to weight. I had to change my sister's sheets while she was still in bed. I made the mistake of not raising the bed as high as I could before I started. Rookie mistake, but leaning way over caused the disc between L3 and L4 to shift and impinge on my nerve. It was January 15th, the day after my birthday.

I have chronic pain from the stupidity I abused my body with while active. It would be worse if I did not work to maintain a healthy weight. Getting the excess weight off your spine would likely help a lot. Just 20lbs made a significant difference for me. I know you're working on changing habits for caffeine and soda consumption and that's a fantastic start. I really do hope you get to a point where the peripheral issues are no longer contributing to your back pain and the doctors can correct this.

Get wet as often as you can and don't forget to park in the blue spots.

Pain sucks.
I am prescribed Vicodin/acetaminophen for chronic pain.
I use it sparingly so I don't build a tolerance or an addiction.
But there are many times I need it to deal with the pain level.
I would talk to your doc about pain relief meds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom