Winter diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost thinking She-Diver is a regular member whose changed names in attempt to start a record thread :) hmmmmmmm

--removed since it solicited a bad resonse--- no apologies here.

And anyone who dives in the winter should be able to handle a Seeker dive. I wouldn't recommend winter diving without AOW.

ScubaSarus:
I almost thinking She-Diver is a regular member whose changed names in attempt to start a record thread :) hmmmmmmm

I think the way guys respond towards a women's question amazes me so much when I sought chem help on a board a few years ago Ide pretend to be Jennifer and all the chem geeks would help me. Sorry to break their hearts lol :)

And anyone who dives in the winter should be able to handle a Seeker dive. I wouldn't recommend winter diving without AOW.

Your a sick little man.:bic:

Great emphasis on the "little" part :devil:

Don't make me tell them about your drysuit!

You win lol I'll be quiet . You better not mention anything about the size of those boots then.

ScubaSarus:
You win lol I'll be quiet . You better not mention anything about the size of those boots then.
Be nice to me and desist in all reference to me as "little" and "carrot top" and while you're at it stop putting me and "latex" in the same paragraph unless you are specifically referring to the seals on my drysuit. Follow these guidelines and I won't tell :devil:
Back on topic-why AOW for winter diving in your opinion? I think I can dive at least until 1/2/06 with BOW just fine.

Ok I'll try and its going to be tough but I'll put my mind to it. Diving in the winter will present some unique problems we may not know about until they happen. Keep things simple and you'll be fine. Some thing to be aware of that I can mention.

Freezing head that makes you think you gonna pass out underwater.
On my first Portland quarry dive I felt this way but kept close to my buddy.
(edited lets not draw others in)
Frozen hands not letting you remove you or your buddies gear.
Breach of a seal by cold water.
Fatigue from all the weight and tightness of the clothing if you overdress.
Cold water that aggravates sensitive teeth.
Getting caught in a current or swell were you cant do much because of all the gear.
Fumbling with buttons clip etc with thick gloves or mitts.
Mask fogging or not being able to put it on with thick gloves in the water and tucking it under the hood.
Regulater free flows from freezing.
Failure to secure your zipper or having a colar or cloting under the seal and getting a leak and making it back to the exit cold.
Slipping on ice.
Tank slipping off due to frozen tank band and not being able to take off your gear to fix it.

Ft Wetherill is not too bad on the boat launch side but I have seen all these problems in experienced divemasters and the problems came as a surprise. Lets learn from the episodes. Sometime a minor problem can turn big if you are far from your exit point or deep. I assume you'll be looking more for tiny life, urchins, and larval stages of marine life given that most of all fish are gone in the winter. Otherwise you have to venture quite a bit to see anything interesting and thats were its good to be a bit more advanced. Once you go around the island and see the rocks formations and wall to wall anomones its hard not to want to go back even in the winter and thats were you don't want any problem to pop up and all the same if you want to venture thru the Beavertail tunnels and caverns in which I've seen diver get washed in quite hard due to an unexpected swell that appeared out of no where. So thats why I think AOW is essential for lets say serious and adventuress winter diving.

Diesel, Im pretty sure you hit it on the mark with, It's winter, and lots of "divers" (hmmm) are out of the water, and looking for entertainment. Too bad...Seems there are two here, one with an attitude, for no apearant reason, and another that I have seen in other threads that just trolls along making dumb ***** comments. In the scheme of things, I doubt that the issues of those that present themselves in such a manner, will have little, if any effect on the thoughts of actual divers. If they do, im pretty sure those divers would make poor company on any dive boat, or shore dive for that matter. One would hope that a competent diver could use reason, to advantage, and realize the obvious. The boat never harmed a soul, and any misfortune was the sole responsibility of those involved. Period. And this is certainly NOT the load to be carried by the current owner, or crew. Odd that the last thing on my mind when I dove her, was any misfortune, but only the rich history she enjoys as a first class dive and research vessel.
But then, im not looking for an arguement, nor do I seek to cause harm to another's business for no reason. I believe there is no reason to be made here, as there is none sought. Only trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom