Wife and I considering PADI Discovery in Cabo - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it and it was great - well for me!! My wife tried, but as many of you predicted, it was simply too much for her to absorb so after going down 5-6 feet and having trouble clearing her ears she just decided to surface and wait on the boat. The instructor tried to convince her to keep trying but she really wasn't interested. After making sure she got back on the boat, we went down to about 10 feet (which took longer than I expected because I was having to clear my ears every 2-3 feet). Once at 10 feet, we practiced some skills (clearing mask, clearing regulator, locating regulator if it comes out of your mouth, breathing from someones 2nd mouthpiece if yours stopped working, etc. etc.). Before even getting on the boat we went over some classroom stuff and signals and things like reading depth gauge and pressure gauge, clearing ears, etc. etc. At 10 feet hung out there for a while. After a while and seeing that my pressure guage was even with the instructor we decided to go down to about 40-45 feet and hung out there and saw plenty of fish, seahorse, starfish, etc. etc. So all in all it was good and my wife still wants to try again, but AFTER taking all our classes and training here in the states before our next vacation.

Now, before you get started on your certifications look on SB to see how to pick a course and your instructor. There is a great stickey about How do I pick a great course. Make sure you allow plenty of time to go through your certification. Look at dive shops but also don't forget to track down the independent instructors in your area (check on SB for some recomendations ). But remember, you are the one who as to be comfortable with your instructor. Interview as many as you can find and don't pick your instructor on price alone. Usually the better ones charge a little more but you usually get a lot more. Look for a small class (esp. for your wife's sake). If you have the desire to dive, a good instructor will have the patience and techniques to help you become the best divers on the boat.

Hello MCF,

I'm a PADI Instructor and under PADI standards maximum depth for Discover Scuba is 40ft in Open Water. You shoul have a Confined Water or Pool session first. You will be taught about the dangers of breathing underwater; altough you have been warned here already.

I would like to hear on your thoughts and feelings after your experience.

Tell us how did you do??

is there possibility of serious injury if she continues to breathe while ascending?

Not really. Ascending fast is NEVER good, but from that shallow a depth I can't imagine anything go really wrong, provided she DOES breathe all the way.

That said, if she really is that uncomfortable, she should not do this, but take her time and go through a thorough and competent scuba training class first instead of rushing things.

See! Now you have discovered the real danger. Another one gets hooked!!!

Just stay away from Cabo Wabo downtown if you're going down for a 4 days of SCUBA. If you go you won't make your classes and probably end up in a dirty taxicab, not knowing what hotel you're staying at and missing your gold tee time that costs you $250, I'm just saying......

I say have fun and like the rest said, open your wallet when you get back. Taking your first underwater adventure / experience in Cabo's waters will be an addiction from the start.

Have fun, just breath normally, "never hold your breath" absolute #1 rule in diving, and listen to the dive master. Looking at their website I'd say you are in good hands, post some picks when you get back as Certified Open Water SCUBA Divers!! Above all get hooked and have fun, you'll be planning your next dive before you leave.

PS - Check the flight rules for diving and your last PG (just a teaser, you'll learn it) when you leave, so that you're not flying too soon after diving, since this is a 4 day course. I'm sure they've CYA'ed themselves anyway, but make sure.

Just stay away from Cabo Wabo downtown if you're going down for a 4 days of SCUBA. If you go you won't make your classes and probably end up in a dirty taxicab, not knowing what hotel you're staying at and missing your gold tee time that costs you $250, I'm just saying.......[/I]

is this the voice of experience.....or does my reputation precede me......maybe were you the other drunk guy in the dirty cab......if so, did you happen to see what happened to my wallet?

Yes from experience !! and some gay Mexican (not that there's anything wrong with that) stole my wifes Mabaline from her back pocket, thank God we had a stub from the hotel to prove we were guests LOL

So he's down there now, hope he tells us he's now PADI OW certified with his wife.

I'll not focus on the dangers, but the joys. I'm an avid diver of nearly 50 years experience. I never tried to "push" my son into SCUBA although he enjoyed snorkeling with me. He and his future bride went on a cruise to Cabo with his mom, and he tried a discover dive there. Now he's hooked... at least as hooked as you can get living in cold Colorado!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom