why women don't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my girlfriends are not athletic and think I am nuts for diving. They admire me for doing it but think I'm a little bit nuts at the same time.

If I had to promote diving to interest more women (and p.r. is what I do for a living), I would do a bit of research and find an Italian female athlete who is well respected who dives (there must be one of them.) And then I would get her out front and centre in a promotional campaign. If you can't find an established female athlete who dives, I would start an ad campaign showing young women who dive and what they like about it, in order to promote it to young women and to dispel the myths that it is a sport that only men can do.

ScubaGoddess

mad:
Hi girls!!

and the most important question is: how can we make them try?

ciao, Marco

One of my girlfriends dives, but the rest are very uninterested in it . . . .they don't really have much of an interest in the natural world and are not particularly athletic.

Most of my friends do not dive for various reasons - they don't like going into the ocean (unless it also involves laying out at the beach), too much gear and it's too heavy, scared of the idea of what's "down there".

That having been said, though - I think there is a higher percentage of women divers in warm tropical locations (such as here in Hawaii). It's easy diving, so it's not as intimidating as what is necessary for less warm climes. I freely admit to being a warm water wimp myself - while I probably still would dive in locations that the climate is not as great, I probably would not dive as often.

mad:
Hi girls!!

In Italy we have only 22% of scuba girls, I don't know in the rest of the world but I suppose the same.

Why your friends don't dive?
do they consider a heavy hobby?
do they think it's dangerous?
do they prefer spending money in other ways?

and the most important question is: how can we make them try?

ciao, Marco

Hi Marco,

I would say that the primary reason that most of my friends do not dive is because they are risk averse, in that they are afraid of relying on an artificial breathing apparatus, not strong swimmers or athletic. Although they probably could afford going scuba diving, they prefer more affordable sports, as the initial impression of scuba is that it is very expensive to invest time and money in. I've spoken to my friends regarding my trips and they're awe-inspired by my tales. But the fact remains that they're not risk-takers, even though I reiterate to them that it is a completely safe sport if procedures are followed.

I don't know how successful you would be to convince a person through words that scuba is a great sport to be involved in. Use photographs to reinforce how beautiful and amazing it is to be underwater. In addition, cater to the more adventurous type, women who, for example, are rock climbers or mountaineers. Take it from a rock climber, fear is all relative!

Cheers!

Mel

I don't know where ya'll are from, but from where I am from there are plenty of female divers. Just this Sunday there five females on the boat. One was the instructor for their class, and one was a DM (my wife). I see plenty of females as DMs, instructors, and boat DMs. I see about 1/3 of every class coming out on a boat consisting of females.

As for females complaining about lifting tanks. Welllllllllllllll, let me tell you something! My wife carries all her gear. I watched her carry at least 100 tanks during her DM class. She never complained about pain even though she has had rotater cuff surgery. She is still in pain, and it hurts her to lift tanks.

My wife is a very beautiful women, but she doesn't complain about chipped nails, soar muscles, make up. The only thing she does is smile becuase she loves to diving. she always says, "I'd rally be diving".

Yes, I know,,,,,,,,,,, I'm lucky!!!!!

I know alot of female divers (granted I hang around with divers) and they are far from afraid to dive. Some of them dive doubles and dry and are pretty experienced and some are just starting up and still learning. All different ages as well. I think it depends on the kind of people you hang with. Most of the people I know are very outgoing as well. I also think that for the most part diving as been advertised as a male dominated sport and a dangerous sport. Some women may find that intimidating.

SueMermaid:
:06: We don't dive?

I don't dive. I just bought all the equipment and know all the lingo so I can hang out at the boat and the bar after the dive. It's a good way to meet men you know. :wink:

Crap. I have been doing it all wrong all this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom