Why the small tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In light of the fact that I'm still a bit of a hoover (big chest and other issues), and am going to be in Oahu and Maui in May, I've read in numurous threads like this statement by KrisB about a dive op that only supplied 50's and 63's:

"Since we were both instructors, we were allowed the freedom to explore as we saw fit by IDH -- and I'm sure you can get a smaller tank from them. It was that the other op was a little less "dive as you wish" and had newbies diving 50's in the same dive group. We stuck around underwater longer than they did... but still, it's disappointing to see fresh divers have to go back up after a 30' for 20 minute dive when it's due to small tank size."

Now I do understand that making a living running dive trips has to be tough, and the novelty of paradise wears off, so I can only assume that the smaller tanks assure that the boat will be back in time to collect more money on other trips that same day.

Why not just limit the time at depth to 40 minutes, but supply 80's? Diving a 63 seems waayyy too dangerous, and would tempt a newbie to push his air time down to 300 psi or less just to get his $130.00 worth (tip included).

90% of other dive ops in the caribbean are able to get two to three trips a day while allowing 45 minutes each tank on 80's. Why not Hawaii dive ops?

Personally, I will be looking to rent steel 100 or 120's (if they are available) for my shore diving (not likely available on boat dives) because I want the peace of mind to know that I have a safe amount of air left after 40 minutes, and don't want to spend my dive staying shallow, or minimizing my movement so I'm not out of breath.

When I was getting Nitrox certed in West Palm Beach doing constant 70 to 90 foot dives, Jupiter Dive center gave me Steel 100's and they were perfect - 45 minutes bottom time. I met a grey haired veteran spear fisherman on the boat that had a steel HP 120, and asked why, and he soon became my hero. He said its because he really moves underwater checking things out from reef to reef. That's what I want to do! But I'm constantly concerned about getting out of breath, sucking my air supply, so I try to go slow.

By the way, all you guys on this board really impress me, and I can't wait to meet some of you.

As a matter of fact - I will be bringing my black light filter for my 24 watt HID and plan to do some biofluorescent night diving that you have GOT to see - corals light up like they are lit with neon inside. Anyone want to join up, PM me - I'll be in Oahu May 11th, 12th and 13th, and near Ulua beach on Maui the 14th through the 28th.

Well, let's see

Small tank = shorter dive : therefore : shorter dive = less time dive boat spends at dive site :
therefore : dive boat returns to dock sooner : therefore : dive boat can run another trip sooner : therefore : dive op can run more trips in one day : therefore : dive op makes more money : therefore : diver gets screwed.

One of the many reasons I hate cattle boats and prefer to charter a 6 pack whenever I can.

the K

therefore : dive op makes more money : therefore : diver gets screwed.

the K

That's what I thought for sure, but any diver with half a brain will have checked Scubaboard for recommendations before going to Hawaii, and will avoid a charter like that like the plague (unless you have a great SAC rate).

In this information-rich internet world, I would imagine that short dive ops will be exposed more (like here) and they may lose business.

I can only assume that these short dive ops cater to the spur-of-the-moment tourist divers, which are more likely to be problematic, tip less, and cost the dive op to the point that they force short dives with small tanks. I can't blame them, if that is their market. Makes a lot of sense from that standpoint.

Aloha. It's nice to see another Clevelander here on the board. The shops that usually utilize the 50s and 63s are generally the shops that cater to the Japanese and shops that use them for class purposes only. Saturday I dove off one of the boats and everyone was using aluminum 80s. Some of the shops do have higher capacity tanks, just ask them if they have what you want and most shops will try to cater to what you want.

It's rare for me to see tanks larger that the AL 80's here, though I do see them on occasion.

It is true that the "cattle boat" operations will try to get you on and off the boats as quickly as possible. While on Oahu, I recommend searching for an independent operator that can get you out to different parts of the island and is willing to take their time with you. Kaimana Divers (waikikiscuba.com) is a good option for this. Gabe's off-island until Mid-march, but he's a good bet to get your maximum bottom time.

When I was a kid I could get a big candy bar for a nickel, then it was a dime but then I started getting smaller and smaller candy bars. Same deal with the baby tanks.

In light of the fact that I'm still a bit of a hoover (big chest and other issues), and am going to be in Oahu and Maui in May, I've read in numurous threads like this statement by KrisB about a dive op that only supplied 50's and 63's:

I'd probably laugh, ask if he was serious, then leave if he said "yes".

Any op that can't cough up an 80 doesn't deserve my money.

Terry

I think you may be taking things out of context. Every operator I have worked for on Oahu (Deep Ecology) and Maui (Ultra Dive/Prodiver, Extended Horizons, Rainbow Aquatics, 5-Star) has mostly 80's. I think that is the norm, with Lahaina Divers being notorious for mostly having 72's. I do not remember larger tanks at 5-Star, but most of their diving is really shallow. Every other operator mentioned has larger tanks available. Maui Dreams will rent you a 100 cft with 36% if you give them enough notice; Deep Ecology probably will too.

The use of smaller tanks (50's & 63's) is by and large an instructor/guide decision. Some instructors would only use those tanks for the small fry and petite divers (the good ones?), others are evidently looking to shorten the dive for one reason or another (doesn't always mean they are bad ones).

Sunset House in Cayman rents 72's for their shore diving. As far as I am concerned a "tank" implies at least an 80. Anything less is a pathetic rip off.

80's seem to be the norm with the companies I've dove with, but I've seen quite a few 72s out there and most divers wouldn't know the difference between an AL80 and an AL72 unless it was explained to them.

I'm thinking the use of 50s and 63s as their primary tank is limited to a very few operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom