Why the small tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm at the 80 dive mark, and still suck up an 80 in 40 minutes, but I really like the extra weight and extra air that a 100 provides for 40 - 60 foot dives.

About five dives into my upcoming Hawaii trip, when I really begin to relax, I expect to get plenty of bottom time on an 80, especially for shallower shore dives.

I've got a quick question. Are the dives you've done primarily guided, or are you on your own for most of them? I've had numerous self-proclaimed "hoovers" who say they generally average 35 minutes on a tank and want the 100's end up getting 48/50 minutes plus right off the bat on 80's. Most of the time they're up to an hour or more on the second day. Sticking within eyesight of a slow moving DM helps a lot of them... I'm thinking a lot of them learned to dive by watching that McConaughay guy on the movie Fool's Gold - I don't know if I could stay down for 25 minutes at the speed they were diving at in the first part of that movie.

As Cuddlefish mentioned earlier, just avoid that deep or current dive right off the bat and you might surprise yourself.

I do read what you are saying; you want a reasonable size tank for you.
Just thought I would mention to those thinking a smaller tank is a rip off, I hate an AL80. I cannot get much past vertical with out bleeding head wounds.
My first tanks were AL50ÃÔ, good for an hour +. IÃÎ not Asian, a hoover then, just less so now. The 50ÃÔ were perfect size wise, loved them.
Personally I think it is nice if there are options for all, now if the ops here would just cough up DIN HP80ÃÔ :D.

cardio health is definetly the worst for air consumption,, the old fat guy on the boat, chain smokin will always have the best air consump. (half his lungs are dead, do'nt need much to keep goin) it's not scientific proof but what i've noticed in 20+ years of teaching
ps i've never had such bad air consumption as when i quit smoking after 25 years those lungs needed some air again, good thing was air consump got better as time goes on

I think Steve (Friscuba) makes a good point here. I get a lot of divers that tell me they will run out of air quickly for numerous reasons. However, when I guide them, they typically come back and say they just went on the longrest dive of their life. There are a couple reasons that this happens.

One: most of my dives are relatively shallow, less than 40 feet.

Two: I go pretty slow and keep my guests moving at a rate that keeps their need for air low, much like that of on land.

Three: I am able to watch for and prevent Free Flows. (How many new divers allow free flowing regs to go off for ten to fifteen seconds before they realize what is going on and finally stop it effectively? Got any idea how much bottom time you can lose from a free flow? A lot!!!)

I regularly gear up my divers in 63's, 72's and 80's. Once in a while I bring in a 100 at special request. Sometimes I use 50's (for the extra small divers). I don't think I (or my business) should be flamed for that. Do you? I have been at this game for 25 years now and for my dives, sizing up the tank to the size of the diver makes good sense. I personally use a 63 most of the time and always have the most air at the end. I take out many mixed groups (men, women and children on the same dive) and I've found that the kids and women in 63's, smaller men or teens in 72's and average to large men in 80's creates a situation where all stay near the same tank pressure throughout the dive and no one runs out particularly early and (usually) no one comes back with over 700-800 psi. This is also most ergonomically comfortable for the persons frame when it comes to walking around with the tank on.

To all you "Hoovers" out there, come to Maui and do a nice leisurely shore dive with me. I can almost guarantee I can show you a few things that will instantly improve your air consumption.

To comment on some of these prior posts:

I agree that runners and bikers typically use air way faster than other people. It's in the nature of their movement underwater that sucks it up so quickly. They're in shape so they buzz around quicker = more air use.

If an 80 gives you head wounds, you are simply mounting your BCD too low. The size of the crown of the tank/valve area (height of valve) is pretty much the same on all tanks that I use so it doesn't make sense to me that a 63 wouldn't hit you in the head but an 80 does. Do you know what I mean? When I use 80's I do sometimes notice the bottom hitting the back of my legs but I'd rather have that then have it hit me in the head with the reg./valve assembly.

I'm a big fan of 72's on boats, myself. Having almost as much air as an 80 but being noticeably lighter to load and carry, I am comfortable to use them. I do see where 80's are preferred though for the average recreational diver who doesn't breathe as efficiently as I do. Like it has been said here, call ahead to find out what the boat has and then you can decide without being dissapointed after it's too late. And though in a perfect world it should always be 3,000+ psi to start your dive, sometimes you get a fill that only has 2,850 or so. I think a good crew would be able to work around that and maybe give a 'low fill' tank to one of the DM's so to keep the fullest tanks for the customers. That's what I have always done when that happens. It shouldn't mean that the company should be given "maximum possible negative publicity" for a slight underfill or minimally leaking tank neck o-ring!!

I've got a quick question. Are the dives you've done primarily guided, or are you on your own for most of them?

Pretty much on my own - I'm very comfortable in the water - almost too confortable - never want to come up. The last warm water dives I did were the Scubaboard Invade the Keys trip (dives 50 through 70ish), and I was at 40 to 45 minutes at 50 foot average dives and ending with average of 500 psi, sometimes less than 400. I do like to travel a lot underwater. My UW photography certainly helps to slow me down though.

Then after that has been my hometown diving in murky cold lake Erie wreck diving with my dive buddy off our own boat and the 14mm of neoprene coupled with 55Ž° water shortens my 70 foot dives to 30 minutes ish. Do you see why I am so excited to go to Hawaii now?!?!?

My big Hawaii concern has been about currents to swim against (that I read about), and I primarily was looking into good size tanks for those reasons, as well as getting long shore dives from one tank, rather than shlepping along two tanks for the daily shore dives.

Here's something to help all you Hawaii divers really appreciate what you have: Imagine a place where good vis is 20 ft (three days out of the year you can hit 40 ft), temps are less than 60Ž° at depth year round, and the only color you see is the bluish lips of your dive buddy.

Can't wait to get to Hawaii!!!

To all you "Hoovers" out there, come to Maui and do a nice leisurely shore dive with me. I can almost guarantee I can show you a few things that will instantly improve your air consumption.

Can't wait to dive with you in May - we'll be staying at the Hale Hui Kai which I think is just a little south of you. You're website is one of the most interesting ones I've seen in a long time - lots of fun stuff, videos, bus tour etc. Do you still use your HydroOptix mask? The HO mask is the best purchase I ever made in my Scuba kit, considering that I am naturally nearsighted, and it corrects my vision not to mention the panoramic benefits.

I may have to donate one of my fish to your scubabus. I manufacture a color changing glass / plastic material and I am installing a mobile of tropical fish made with this stuff at the Shriners Children's hospital in Honolulu, so maybe I'll bring some extra fish. See it on my website on my profile page if interested.

cardio health is definetly the worst for air consumption,, the old fat guy on the boat, chain smokin will always have the best air consump. (half his lungs are dead, do'nt need much to keep goin) it's not scientific proof but what i've noticed in 20+ years of teaching
ps i've never had such bad air consumption as when i quit smoking after 25 years those lungs needed some air again, good thing was air consump got better as time goes on

Wow! Maybe that's why my SAC rate is so bad. I must be in really great shape:wink: (I wonder if my wife will buy that?)!

Blazinator, at least on Maui, the only currents I've ever experienced with any force at all were on deliberate drift dives, where we did not swim into them. I have heard that the Mala Wharf dive can have some current, but it hasn't any time I have been there. The back wall of Molokini can have some current, but again, they either drift it or don't drop divers there. I wouldn't plan your tank size on the idea that you are going to have to work against current.

Great points - which is why I later decided to spend my time on Maui.

For months I had been planning on Oahu only just to save a little bit of money, but came to my senses and realized that for a trip of a lifetime, spend a little extra to stay in Maui after my business is done on Oahu.

The Oahu shore dives always warn of potential currents (Shorediving.com, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom