Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeckll
I wasn't trying to make a point I was asking a question. Your last statement is a recap of what I said. I also stated that the experienced diver is a safe diver. What I mean by that is he knows the area. He doesn't dive beyond his training. He doesn't let his gear drag through crap. He moniters his buddy's air like his own. He keeps track of where his buddy is. He has checked all his gear and his buddy's gear. He knows his nav points. He knows his dive profile which he has reviewed with his buddy. He knows all the safety proceedures. If the conditions say abort, he does. Do I really need to go on?

Ben Ca
I respect that and I know how you feel. I have a dive buddy where we read each others minds. You can't replace that. I feel a lot more anxiety when I am split up with someone I don't know. That is what I was looking for just an honest answer.

So when are you bringing the scooters?

uspap:
...safe diver. What I mean by that is he knows the area. He doesn't dive beyond his training. He doesn't let his gear drag through crap. He moniters his buddy's air like his own. He keeps track of where his buddy is. He has checked all his gear and his buddy's gear. He knows his nav points. He knows his dive profile which he has reviewed with his buddy. He knows all the safety proceedures. If the conditions say abort, he does. Do I really need to go on?

You don't now that you layed it out. But no offence, given the nature of this thread, "safe" could mean different things to different people. To some, it may include specific equipment considerations, diving nitrox instead of air, or any number of other things. It could mean that they bring a snorkel and have an alternate air source in "the triangle".

I'm not trying to be difficult, but sometimes it helps to be more specific. :)

Jeckll
I think we are on the same page. I have dove (I never know what the past tense of dive is) with those who are supposed to be safe and certified that have almost gotten me jacked. There are so many out there that scare the crap out of me. I remember back in the day it seemed the agencies where looking to fail you. Now it seems that if you promise to buy gear from their shop you pass with flying colors. That is an exageration I know.

Ben Ca
I am actually doing a boat dive Sat and Sun. I'm doing a Reef Cheek thing. Do you ever get out to Monestary or Butterfly House?

uspap:
Jeckll
I think we are on the same page. I have dove (I never know what the past tense of dive is) with those who are supposed to be safe and certified that have almost gotten me jacked. There are so many out there that scare the crap out of me. I remember back in the day it seemed the agencies where looking to fail you. Now it seems that if you promise to buy gear from their shop you pass with flying colors. That is an exageration I know.

It's only an exaggeration because you don't have to promise to buy gear...

:eyebrow:

uspap:
Ben Ca
I am actually doing a boat dive Sat and Sun. I'm doing a Reef Cheek thing. Do you ever get out to Monestary or Butterfly House?

I'll do Monastery every now and again... quite a workout in doubes I haven't done Butterfly house... Looking for a quick shore dive Sat... then Sunday I'm on the Escapade.

Monestary would be crazy with doubles. Butterfly House can get very nasty. You must have good knees if you do Monestary with doubles. Lobos is probably booked. Metridium is okay by breakwater but not too exciting. From you profile it looks like you dive Cannery row. Is that pic from hidden beach? Or is it by El Torritos?

Jeckyll
I like the way you think. We're on the same page. By the way what time is it in Canada right now? Or is it British Columbia or both?

uspap:
I have a quesstion. Would you rather dive a quarry with a DIR diver or the Monterey California canyon with a SAFE NAUI or PADI diver who has been there dozens of times.

I would have to know the 2 divers to make the decision. The training organizations are meaningless -

knowing the 2 instructors would also help, but you dont always have that option. Knowing the divers is more important

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom