Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to take the lead when it comes to laughing at some stuff I do :)

In other news: I'm gearing up for a bicycle trip and priced out some panniers. Very expensive for a solid waterproof set. Then I saw some stuff on the net about making them out of Kitty litter buckets... I have my front bag made already and have feelers out to my cat loving friends for two more. They will look great on my 1980's era frankenbike.

This thread has taught me one thing: If you're a cheap assed diver, then hoseless AI is not for you! :D :D :D

While that is probably true, you could also apply that logic to any piece of optional dive equipment. If you are a cheap ass, the following are probably not for you:
  • New equipment (used are cheaper)
  • Brand name equipment (scuba pro and aqua lung are more expensive that the equivalent from generic brands)
  • drysuits
  • canister lights
  • LED lights
  • scooters
  • rebreathers
  • boat diving charters
  • dive trips (including scubaboard invasions)
  • video equipment
  • photography equipment
  • scuba diving altogether
  • computers with superfluous functionality

Being cheap or being on a tight budget (these are not the same) may make it less likely for a diver to spring for any number of optional items.

Cheapness is all in the eye of the beholder.
To some it would be unthinkable to do any dive without a dry suit, scooter, can light, expensive computer, brand new top of the line name brand regs, the most expensive BP/W, biggest best tanks, etc.
Then there might be some that can't justify spending that kind of money just for simple recreational dives. They might dive with old gear and choose to do things economically since in the end the result is the same.....to go diving.

What if both parties are having just as much fun, does it matter?
I mean, that's the whole point right?

Some people love to spend money, and some people don't.
Nothing wrong with either.

I think it is partly what interests you too.

I like videography so any extra money I have these days goes into video equipment.. either cameras of lights. During the dive I am totally concerned about what images I can capture and could care less about tracking data. The only data that interests me is being captured by the lens. After a dive all I want to do is review my clips to see what I've got.

Some of my friends are photographers. Same applies to them. All their money and interest circles around capturing still images. Sometimes they are happy to dive in 10' of water as long as good shots might be there. Last year I crawled through a creek on my belly with a snorkel to shoot salmon and was happy to do so.

I'm sure others are into gadgets (not meant in a bad way) and love to see some sort of digital representation of what they are doing. After the dive they probably look forward to downloading that data to see a graphic representation of their dive and they don't mind spending money on AI to do that. Why not. Have fun and enjoy diving.

For an AL80/11L per bar Cylinder, my Surface Consumption Rate (SCR) in pressure units is 2 bar/min (a nominal SCR that's acheivable for most recreational divers). Therefore my Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) is 2 bar/min multiplied by the depth I'm at in Atmospheres Absolute (ATA).

So if I'm at 30m depth -which is 4 ATA- then I know I'm consuming a DCR of 8 bar/min. After 10 min at that depth, I already know that my SPG will show a delta 80 bar down of air consumed.

Point is that you really don't need an Air Integrated (AI) Computer Function to monitor an arithmetic method as easily & intuitively applied as above. . .

For an AL80/11L per bar Cylinder, my Surface Consumption Rate (SCR) in pressure units is 2 bar/min (a nominal SCR that's acheivable for most recreational divers). Therefore my Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) is 2 bar/min multiplied by the depth I'm at in Atmospheres Absolute (ATA).

So if I'm at 30m depth -which is 4 ATA- then I know I'm consuming a DCR of 8 bar/min. After 10 min at that depth, I already know that my SPG will show a delta 80 bar down of air consumed.
I find this reliance on mathematics while you are narced to be extremely foolhardy and dangerous. A simple error, which is much easier at that depth, and you run the risk of running out of air. Even worse, a little elevated breathing due to excitement or fear and the numbers go way, way off. Whatever your method of determining tank pressure, please check it often. Not every few seconds, but often enough that you don't run out. While you're at it check your buddy's pressure as well. This is more important the deeper you go. There's no reason to run out of air with today's gear.

I find this reliance on mathematics while you are narced to be extremely foolhardy and dangerous. A simple error, which is much easier at that depth, and you run the risk of running out of air. Even worse, a little elevated breathing due to excitement or fear and the numbers go way, way off.
That's exactly why you should plan your dive. Not just gas usage, but timing also. Looking at your gauge is to verify there's no leakage and your gas consumption is as planned. It's not meant to see how much longer you can dive or how much air you have left. At least not in my opinion ;-)

As this is in Advanced I'll propose that......losing one's tank status as well as deco status at the same time while rare is an unnecessary risk.

As I have made thousands of dives without an integrated computer,it doesn't seem it would add any value to my diving

As I do not suffer from gear envy I do not have to have the latest greatest toys to keep up with anyone.

As there are no integrated computers with algorithms that suit my diving ,I'll pass.

Just a I no longer dive big BCs(either a simple BP/W or a Zeagle Scout will do)unless wearing doubles I try to keep my gear simple to almost minimalist.Less drag,fewer entanglement hazards,less maintenance,fewer failure points,less relative expense can all be had without compromising safety and redundancy.

I have a natural reef off SC I named AKONA reef after on of my guys lost a knife and light on it because he had them on retractors and shot a big fish,all that stuff got tangled and the gear came off.He learned that more is not always better but it is always more.

Point is that you really don't need an Air Integrated (AI) Computer Function to monitor an arithmetic method as easily & intuitively applied as above. . .

For many people, running that 'background program' in the mind would be quite taxing. Far & away I'd rather keep an eye on the computer's PSI reading, dive time elapsed & air time remaining.

That's exactly why you should plan your dive. Not just gas usage, but timing also. Looking at your gauge is to verify there's no leakage and your gas consumption is as planned. It's not meant to see how much longer you can dive or how much air you have left. At least not in my opinion ;-)

What constitutes 'planned' would be a lengthy & likely futile debate in its own right. For a technical diver who needs adequate supplies of a back gas that'd be too hypoxic at the surface to survive on, at a depth where the surface gas would have to high a PPO2 for safety, I imagine a specific plan for time, depths, etc..., is needed.

For someone shore diving Bonaire, if you're not cold or bored, diving as long as you can (safely) on a tank & meandering about to wherever the scenery looks good or the wildlife is interesting, within reason (especially under 60 feet deep), makes fine sense, as long as you're mindful of gas supply, NDL's, safety stops & ascent rates, etc...

Many people splash without a detailed knowledge of the underwater topography of the site. Think warm water tourist divers following a guide, or the shore diver such as mentioned above. They may have a very rough idea (e.g.: dive briefing), but on some level, many will 'ride the computer' just like they'd 'ride the SPG.'

It's an approach that works fine for a lot of recreational diving that a lot of people do. Not all of it.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom