Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has taught me one thing: If you're a cheap assed diver, then hoseless AI is not for you! :D :D :D

Between the October Dive Show at the NEC and Christmas Suunto usually bundle transmitters with the AI capable computers at no extra cost.

this thread has taught me one thing: If you're a cheap assed diver, then [-]hoseless ai [/-] diving is not for you!

fify

:d

Thanks RJP, I dive a primary AI and a backup computer and SPG. I will never miss a single dive or a series of dives. I've never needed the backups but am glad I have them. What's your backup plan AfterDark, abandon the dive, go to tables for the series? Good for you

Never needed a backup for my spg it's not quite as old as my regulator but old enough to say it's as reliable. I use two identical computers on trips, but tables are my primary backup. Been using tables a lot longer than PDCs which I don't consider reliable enough to stake my life on. If there is a LARGE difference between my PDCs and the tables I'll go with the tables every time.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 07:40 PM ----------

This thread has taught me one thing: If you're a cheap assed diver, then hoseless AI is not for you! :D :D :D

If being a cheap ass diver means working 40+ hours a week and living paycheck to paycheck with little left over then that's me.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 07:48 PM ----------

You know, it's funny. As I was posting the first picture I thought to myself "Will AfterDark reply 'I meant the SPG!' in a post that would make one of us look kind of silly."

AI_Transmitter2.png

Feel better now?

:D

Of course, no one is saying that anyone who is happy with their current gear must buy an AI computer/transmitter. That would be far, far sillier than the suggestion that "toting along extra gear" is a meaningful reason NOT to get one.

Only the good feeling being understood brings. I never posted any such thing. Who did I tell not to buy an AI. The point was the technology isn't ready yet and the fact that some use a spg for back up is evidence that supports that opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

Because it is another technology solution to a problem that does not exist. A B&G spg is stone cold reliable and cheap and needs no back up. But the guys with the AI stuff are still using a spg for when the technology goes TU which it seems to often do. I think AI appeals to a certain type/segment of the diver population, not a put down, just hardly an universal draw to someone like myself who is all about eliminating equipment, not adding it.

N

I've had an SPG fail during a dive. Somehow the O-ring extruded and the gauge flooded. And I had my AI computer fail. So nothing is fail proof. When it matters, I use the AI computer with a simple SPG as a back-up.

I've had an SPG fail during a dive. Somehow the O-ring extruded and the gauge flooded. And I had my AI computer fail. So nothing is fail proof. When it matters, I use the AI computer with a simple SPG as a back-up.

That's a maintenance issue. That o ring/valve gets changed on my spg every hose change or every 5 years which ever comes 1st. If a quality spg is cared for it is rock solid reliable.

That's a maintenance issue. That o ring/valve gets changed on my spg every hose change or every 5 years which ever comes 1st. If a quality spg is cared for it is rock solid reliable.

It was an Apeks gauge, just three months old. Shouldn't have happened. They replaced it for free.

I am a cheap a$$ diver and proud of it :)

Seems there is a little intolerance being shown by the AI crowd here no? The question the OP asked was "Why the dislike" so those who answer shouldn't be bashed. You can start a "why the like" thread and then those posting their dislike would be out of line.

I have no dislike of AI. I see it as a luxury component of recreational diving and if you want it go ahead, just like a Rolex watch. If you want it, and can afford it, have fun. I have friends that dive AI and we get along just fine.

I personally wouldn't buy one because it wouldn't give me any more data that I would need or want for a dive. I see it sort of like back up cameras and automatic parking features for cars. Cool gadgets (and who doesn't like those) but not necessary. But then again, I seem to be going backwards because I really don't need/want most of the data my conventional computer gives me either. At one time I did, so I can't judge, but these days I really pay far more attention to my environment instead of my wrist.

Where would I mount it anyway?

011-1.jpg

I guess the question is, what problem are you trying to solve?

For me, I see a ton of divers agonizing over the cost of participating in this sport. Air integration is an expensive feature with questionable benefits at best. My advice, instead of spending your money on nice to haves, spend it on better training. I've never bought any optional gear that has increased my enjoyment of diving as much as good training has.

I have, my rebreather.. :cool2:. Of course, I had to go get training in Florida, that was horrible. :wink:

Seems there is a little intolerance being shown by the AI crowd here no?
Just calling a spade an fn shovel is my take. :D There's a lot of humor in merely stating the obvious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom