Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find this reliance on mathematics while you are narced to be extremely foolhardy and dangerous. A simple error, which is much easier at that depth, and you run the risk of running out of air.

I recently dived with two other people pretty far back into the jungle in Mexico. We had all our gear, including double tanks, in two tiny rental cars. The road was so bad I had to walk about 1/3 of the way to keep the car from bottoming out, and it took well over an hour to get to the site. We were all geared up and heading into the jungle when my high pressure hose blew, almost deafening me. It would take too long for me to drive back to the shop and get a new hose, so I sat around in the jungle waiting for the others to complete their dives. While I was waiting, a couple diving the same cave emerged, and the husband was very surprised that I did not do the dive without the SPG. I did have a plug, so I could have stopped up the hole and relied on my knowledge of how fast I go through gas and the fact that we normally come back with more than we needed.

I would not do that, though. I have done dives where my consumption rate was surprisingly different from my expectations--in both directions. Two friends of mine recently turned a dive they had been planning for months largely because they realized they were both going through gas at a much higher rate than expected. Two other friends got bent because, having been trained to trust the "computer between their ears" rather than a mechanical one on the wrist, they did not realize the three different math errors they made on the dive until they downloaded the dive log from the computer on the wrist--which was in gauge mode as per agency dictates.

Even if I thought I could do the dive without an SPG, I would not impose that on my dive buddies. I would not ask them to compromise their values to help me get in a dive I could do another day.

Last edited:
For many people, running that 'background program' in the mind would be quite taxing.

But Rich... diving is supposed to be difficult; physically and mentally. If it isn't, you're not doing it right!

:cool2:

Good call John! Some people treat every dive as if it were their last. Given the chances that some of them take to accomplish the dive, it might be construed somewhat as a self fulfilling prophecy! People want to suggest that B&G SPGs are more dependable and seem to ignore that the weakest link is right there in the hose and even the spool. Many shops don't replace those spool o-rings when they rebuild regulators. They should, but it's often overlooked as those o-rings don't come in either the first or second stage kits. This past February, I went through 4 HP hoses in short order on my sidemount kit. On one, the hose started leaking inside the cave on the way out. It's one of the reasons I went to a transmitter. FWIW, none of these hose failures were at the spool where I often see them happening.

I can score a spg and a hose literally at any dive shop in the world. Probably not the case with a transmitter.

To be fair, for many of us making the challenge harder, and then growing skills to overcome that challenge, is a big part of fun. Why climb the mountain when you can drive all the way up in your air-conditioned vehicle or take a cable car, and not even break a sweat. Why draw a painting, when you can take a photo and print it. Why take a photo when better ones are likely available online. Why run a marathon only to get back to where you started, wasting a few hours and feeling miserable in the process...

I can score a spg and a hose literally at any dive shop in the world. Probably not the case with a transmitter.

But the guy with the failed transmitter can remove it & replace it with that SPG you're talking about, foregoing the AI function for awhile, just as easily as you can replace your failed SPG with new one. Seems to me the widespread availability of analog SPGs is not a point in favor of either approach.

Richard.

To be fair, for many of us making the challenge harder, and then growing skills to overcome that challenge, is a big part of fun. Why climb the mountain when you can drive all the way up in your air-conditioned vehicle or take a cable car, and not even break a sweat. Why draw a painting, when you can take a photo and print it. Why take a photo when better ones are likely available online. Why run a marathon only to get back to where you started, wasting a few hours and feeling miserable in the process...

True. But how often do hikers deride auto buying, claiming it's a waste of money? In fact, I suspect most hikers own a vehicle or use public transportation.

And if your transmitter goes bad, you can score a hose and an spg literally at any dive shop in the world. :bigsmile:

Richard beat me to it.

Or you can carry it one in your bag on the boat.

But how often do hikers deride auto buying, claiming it's a waste of money?

I'm not defending that attitude, I'm with you on this one. Being a minimalist is one thing, being a judgmental "aggressive" minimalist is a whole different pair of trousers. There's definitely the ego factor as well, and some rationalizing going on...

Or you can carry it one in your bag on the boat.
I didn't carry extra transmitters (which I have), but I did take two short hoses with their own SPGs for my side mount kit and a long HP hose with it's own SPG for my backmount reg. They were in my bag for every dive: just in case. Who knows when I'll get back that way again? On top of that, I had a button gauge on each side mount reg and carried plenty of batteries. It's the department of the department of redundancy, redundancy.

People are so weird... the thread is "Why the dislike of air integrated computers?"... so people voice why they dislike air integrated computers... most of the 129 posts i've read are in no way aggressive... people are just voicing there personal opinion on why they dislike it... haven't many people with elitist attitudes on the subject...

but I think the most common theme for a lot of people is the convenience gained by AI really doesn't justify the cost, especially when chances are you're gonna be carrying a "traditional" spg backup anyway.

As with most technology, until it is really mainstream the cost hard to justify for the majority of consumers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom