Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hybrid cars are no where close to being mainstream... It's not NEW but it isn't mainstream either

That might be true in Trinidad & Tobago.

a computer cannot get narc'd but a narc'd person can not check their computer either.
Which is why they have alarms. :D

Here's the problem with your line of reasoning. You seem to believe that narcosis is optional when it's not. You may not feel stupid, but your IQ still decreases as your depth increases. No matter how much you deny it, you can not handle pressure with cognitive impunity. To quote Bob Dylan: I would not feel so all alone! Everybody must get narced (er stoned).

novelty has nothing to do with being mainstream though... novelty is just about newness... something can never reach mainstream and not be a novelty... case in point... rebreathers... been around for quite awhile... definitely no novelty there... but not mainstream by a longshot...
I would disagree with you on this. I see them all the time and they are being embraced by the agencies for the masses. Most divers I know WANT to dive one. Fewer and fewer see them as little yellow boxes of death like a mere ten years ago.

Which is why they have alarms. :D

Here's the problem with your line of reasoning. You seem to believe that narcosis is optional when it's not. You may not feel stupid, but your IQ still decreases as your depth increases. No matter how much you deny it, you can not handle pressure with cognitive impunity. To quote Bob Dylan: I would not feel so all alone! Everybody must get narced (er stoned).

I don't know how that's any different to what i'm saying :S... just saying that narc'd is narc'd... it can cause you to do stupid things... like not check your computer, spg etc or hell even ignore an alarm... just as it can cause a person to get the arithmetic wrong in calculating their air consumption...

+1 for AI though... the alarm can possibly save your life if you're narc'd and run low on air

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 05:21 PM ----------

I would disagree with you on this. I see them all the time and they are being embraced by the agencies for the masses. Most divers I know WANT to dive one. Fewer and fewer see them as little yellow boxes of death like a mere ten years ago.

being embraced... and being mainstream are two different things... it's the same with hybrid vehicles.. they grow 40% yoy in sales but that still only represents 3% of the US market... they are RAPIDLY becoming mainstream but they aren't there yet.

I myself want to try rebreathers... when they are more mainstream the cost will come down.... but if you check the scuba diving community as a whole... rebreathers are not mainstream... for anybody to argue that point is silly... it could very well be on the way... but it isn't right now

... when they are more mainstream the cost will come down...

I think you have that exactly backwards.

I think you have that exactly backwards.

i will rephrase... cost of ENTRY will come down... there will be more expensive models (that wont be mainstream) but to get into it... the overall cost will be lower (minus inflation and all that, lets not get into an economic debate).

when cars were just invented... only the rich could afford to buy and maintain, they are mainstream now, more people can afford to drive one, however there will always be more expensive models....

that's how it is typically with every technology product, your phones your tvs etc. before mainstream cost of production is higher... after mainstream you can do greater economies of scale, there are more competitors etc... i shouldn't have to be saying this though... we see this everyday

i will rephrase...
You completely missed the point. When Henry brought in his incredibly cheap Model T, they became mainstream: not the other way around.

Are airplanes mainstream? I don't know many people who own them, but I would suggest that they are accepted by the masses as a viable means of transportation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom