Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok.. clearly this mainstream conversation is over... regardless.. it's a simple word that any dictionary can define... and mainstream items ARE typically cheaper than before they were mainstream...

a Model T (a mainstream car), was cheaper than non-mainstream cars...

if a product because mainstream by dropping prices then so be it...

back on topic Hoseless AI Computers are neither cheap nor mainstream... whether it becomes mainstream because of a reduction in price or price reductions occur after it becomes mainstreams are yet to be seen

ok.. clearly this mainstream conversation is over... regardless.. it's a simple word that any dictionary can define... and mainstream items ARE typically cheaper than before they were mainstream...

a Model T (a mainstream car), was cheaper than non-mainstream cars...

if a product because mainstream by dropping prices then so be it...

back on topic Hoseless AI Computers are neither cheap nor mainstream... whether it becomes mainstream because of a reduction in price or price reductions occur after it becomes mainstreams are yet to be seen

What % market penetration is required for your personal, narrow definition of "mainstream" product?

As Pete points out, "mainstream" is about acceptance of a product as being considered normal or conventional. Mainstream has very little to do with purchase behavior.

Rolex, for instance, is a mainstream watch brand. Why? Because the manner in which a Rolex watch measures and conveys time is normal and conventional:

Rolex-116233.jpg

A Tuve, on the other hand...(no pun intended)

horological-machine-no-3-futuristic-watch1.jpg

personal... dude... i don't get personal for lame things such as these:

Mirram webster

Definition of MAINSTREAM

: a prevailing current or direction of activity or influence
— mainstream adjective

Oxford

(the mainstream)
1The ideas, attitudes, or activities that are shared by most people and regarded as normal or conventional:

Dictionary.com

belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.: mainstream Republicans; a mainstream artist;

Wikipedia:

Etymology[edit]
The term mainstream refers to the main current of a river or stream. Its figurative use by Thomas Carlyle to indicating the prevailing taste or mode is attested at least as early as 1831.[17]

what do you want me to look up next?

Conventional???

adjective
conforming or adhering to accepted standards, as of conduct or taste:
conventional behavior.
pertaining to convention or general agreement; established by general consent or accepted usage; arbitrarily determined:
conventional symbols.
ordinary rather than different or original:
conventional phraseology.
not using, making, or involving nuclear weapons or energy;nonnuclear:
conventional warfare.

is it becoming clear to you that it's a numbers game?

The etymology of the word says it all...

but hey... what do i know

don't know who told you Rolex is a mainstream watch brand... it's popular... and luxury.. but maybe you might want to look at Citizens or Casio or something if you're speaking mainstream

being embraced... and being mainstream are two different things... it's the same with hybrid vehicles.. they grow 40% yoy in sales but that still only represents 3% of the US market... they are RAPIDLY becoming mainstream but they aren't there yet.

I myself want to try rebreathers... when they are more mainstream the cost will come down.... but if you check the scuba diving community as a whole... rebreathers are not mainstream... for anybody to argue that point is silly... it could very well be on the way... but it isn't right now

rebreathers are pretty mainstream on this side of the pond. about half of the divers I know dive boxes. I would say on any given day, inland site or boat, at least 1 in 4 divers is on a box. tech trip (that isn't a GUE chartered boat), more than that.

Rolex is mainstream because it originally set the standard. They were the first to make a deep underwater watch. But only a fraction of the population can afford one. Look at how many watches now kind of look like a Rolex.

Mercedes Benz is mainstream because they set the standard for years and were known as the best car company in the world. I don't know where they sit now, but the point is mainstream has nothing to do with numbers or percentage of market share, it's about recognition and reputation.
It's funny, Mercedes is actually not as mainstream as they once were as the mark of wealth. I think Lexus, Land Rover, BMW, and maybe Porsche are more mainstream with the elitists trying to show wealth through vehicles since Mercedes got into the "economy" market and offered less expensive models to the upper middle class. So Mercedes share grew but they became less mainstream because they were no longer considered an exclusive rich man's car.
Mainstream also means popularity within the group that can afford those things.
Ferrarri's and Maseratti's are not mainstream.

If I had money to burn I would buy a Rolex before I'd buy a AI hoseless PDC.

rebreathers are pretty mainstream on this side of the pond. about half of the divers I know dive boxes. I would say on any given day, inland site or boat, at least 1 in 4 divers is on a box. tech trip (that isn't a GUE chartered boat), more than that.

you understand what mainstream means... but of course that's in your area alone... but for recreational scuba in general... it isn't yet

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 06:27 PM ----------

Rolex is mainstream because it originally set the standard. They were the first to make a deep underwater watch. But only a fraction of the population can afford one. Look at how many watches now kind of look like a Rolex.

Mercedes Benz is mainstream because they set the standard for years and were known as the best car company in the world. I don't know where they sit now, but the point is mainstream has nothing to do with numbers or percentage of market share, it's about recognition and reputation.

Mainstream also means popularity within the group that can afford those things.

that's taking a market and narrowing it to show what's mainstream in that segment.. which is what i described early... BMW... Mercedes, Audi to a point now... all mainstream (luxury) brands... but in general they aren't mainstream cars

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 06:30 PM ----------

and i'll add one more to the mix... why am i the only one that is actually presenting something that is not my personal opinion though:

Business Dictionary:

Products and services which are readily available to and appealing to the general public, as opposed to being of interest only to a very specific subset of the public.

what do you want me to look up next?

I'd like to understand what percentage of market penetration you regard as the minimum for a product to be considered a "mainstream" product. While your definition seems to rely on some requisite level of purchase behavior... none of the definitions you've cited include that information.

I'm stymied by your assertion that hybrid vehicles have not yet attained mainstream status. Frankly, I think that any product that doesn't elicit a response of "Oh my god... what the hell is that?" from the population at large is probably a "mainstream" product. To that point, I'm in agreement that RBs are not "mainstream" in the overall scuba marketplace yet. Here on SB, perhaps, but not in the real world.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 06:37 PM ----------

Business Dictionary:

Products and services which are readily available to and appealing to the general public, as opposed to being of interest only to a very specific subset of the public.

So... what is the minimally acceptable size of a "specific subset of the population" required to achieve mainstream status?

And you say my replies and definitions are personal? Seriously something that doesn't elicit omg is what you consider mainstream lol... Am I really suppose to respond to that...

Listen I don't know what is mainstream I'm clueless... I have no idea what percentage is required...

Fwiw market share gives a fair idea of what the general public considers readily available and appealing... Hence using that to determine mainstream might kinda make sense...

But
Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, looking at the members currently watching this thread confirms something I read: People argue most about the things that matter least.

In tropical 28 deg C waters, drift diving going with the current with minimal exertion touring the awesome reef walls of Palau, my pressure SCR (Surface Consumption Rate) becomes a personal best of 1 bar/min. [And do you really need an AI to work with unity factors like multiplying by "1" ??]

Most of my Palau wall dives are averaging 20 meters depth going with the drift current; 20 meters is 3 ATA (divide 20 by 10 and add 1 gives a depth in atmospheres absolute of 3 ATA).

Therefore 1bar/min multiplied by 3 ATA equals a depth consumption rate (DCR) of 3 bar/min at 20 meters. Checking my bottom timer every 10 minutes, I expect to consume 30 bar (3 bar/min multiplied by 10min equals 30 bar), and accordingly my SPG should read 30 bar less in that 10 minute time frame.

So by 30 minutes elapsed dive time at 20 meters, I expect to be down 90 bar or at half tank (AL80 full tank is 200 bar). At 40 minutes elapsed time, I'm ascending off the wall into the shallow coral plateau around 9 meters (down 120 bar from 200 bar total, or 80 bar remaining in tank). And finally at the 45 to 50 minute mark, I'm at 6m and my 3-5min safety stop with 60 to 70 bar left. I surface and I know even before looking at my SPG that I have around 50 bar remaining in my tank.

This is how you should actively use your SCR with your particular tank, knowing how much breathing gas you have left not only on pre-planning, but also during the actual dive at depth, real-time-on-the-fly --and you really don't need an AI for this at all ....just an SPG and a bottom timer or non-AI dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom