Why shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going Postal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My LDS goes to Bonaire about every three years. I never go, because I can’t seem to understand why people would spend so much to go shore diving. Loading a truck, driving around, can’t bring anything because people rob the trucks. Putting gear together, breaking it down, way too much work for vacation. The flights there suck. I’d much rather put my gear on a boat and leave it there for a week, only thing I have to do is check nitrox. Am I missing something? Is the diving that good?

Nitrox and all shore dives you want to do 24/7 $160 for a full week!

Our total cost door to door (four people sharing condo and truck) was about $1,760 each on our last trip. Caveat - did not fly first class that trip.

Last edited:
I'm going back Saturday for trip #7 since I got back into diving in 2012.

The idea of Bonaire is that it's diving freedom. You want a boat dive? Get on one of the boats. You want some easy dives? Pick out a few easy sites and go. You want a challenge? Find some of the more difficult sites and go for it.

The diving is pretty awesome, but the draw of the island is that you can do what you want when you want. You can do 2 dives a day or 6. Night dives, early morning dives, whatever you prefer.

My personal favorite place to dive.

My LDS goes to Bonaire about every three years. I never go, because I can’t seem to understand why people would spend so much to go shore diving. Loading a truck, driving around, can’t bring anything because people rob the trucks. Putting gear together, breaking it down, way too much work for vacation. The flights there suck. I’d much rather put my gear on a boat and leave it there for a week, only thing I have to do is check nitrox. Am I missing something? Is the diving that good?
No crowds, absolute freedom. It obviously isn't for everyone, but some of us don't mind the work. The "where i want, with who i want, when i want " diving is worth it. I don't know where you are, but the flights there work perfectly for me.

When you say good, like Wakatobi good? Palau good? I'd much rather have a guide to navigate, find the good stuff. And all I have to worry about are camera settings and how much air or bottom time I have left.

And the cost is almost $2k not including meals?

Yes, the diving on Bonaire is that good, in my opinion. Please check out my July 2017 trip report.

I am normally a "been there, done that" kind of guy and rarely feel the urge to return to a place that I have already visited (for diving or non-diving reasons), but I do intend to return to Bonaire in the future.

If the logistical effort of shore diving is a deterrent, you can always do boat dives. Now, in my opinion, boat dives defeat one of the virtues of diving on the west coast of Bonaire (which I will explain below), but I think it would still be more than worthwhile. You can also do boat dives on the east coast of Bonaire, where shore diving is harder, so many/most go on boat dives there anyway. The east coast has a greater abundance of larger marine life that is less common the west coast. East coast boat dives are on my agenda for my next trip there.

If you want to reduce the logistical hassles of shore diving, there are also some dive operations that provide "valet" service, like VIP Diving, which many users of this sub-forum praise highly. I can personally recommend GOOODive, with whom I dove earlier this year.

What impressed me about shore diving on the west coast of Bonaire was the richness of the marine life in the shallows between the shore and the drop-off, and even in the tidal pools. Indeed, a large proportion of my most interesting creature sightings were in the shallows and during the underwater swim to and from shore, rather than on the reef itself. If I had dove those sites from a boat, I would have missed out on those experiences.

Shore diving also gives you a better appreciation of the topside environment and its correlation with the underwater environment. For example, the salt flats in the south correspond to the flatter reefs of the south, and the mangroves provide shelter for juvenile marine life. The terrain of the north is more rugged and corresponds to the steeper and more dramatically sloping reefs of the north.

The flight for me was not too bad, as I could fly directly there from Newark. My only gripes were that it was on United and I had to cross the river into New Jersey.

Unlimited diving 24/7. Some people want to relax on vacation.... but some of us want to do nothing but dive. And dive a lot. Yes flights suck and there not cheap, but for 2 weeks with airfare, rental truck, unlimited air and a 1 bedroom apartment I can do it for around 2000. That why I’m going again for trip # 27 in January.

We've been to Bonaire 6x. Went boat diving once. Why bother? You have to put up with a boat, lame divers on the boat, the extra expense of the boat, and for the most part you see pretty much the same stuff.
With the minor exception of going to a ......few.....places you cannot access by shore it holds no advantages as I see it.

FWIW, the major resort rooms get broken into also. Leave NOTHING of value in the vehicle, with the windows open, NO MATTER WHAT the stupid rental company tells you. Then you'll be fine. Yeah, it's a hassle but less of a hassle than a boat. In all the years of going there if we were probably rifled but there was nothing to take. I think we lost a grocery bag once. The vehicle next to us had the window broken and a bunch of stuff missing. They were NOT happy, and I fully sympathize.

When shore diving you go where you want, when you want, and can change your mind as you go, on the fly. You deal with the dive on your terms completely, not at the control of the dive master of weakest member of the dive group. You can dive Bonaire and see almost no one but your buddies if you so choose. I simply can't see why you'd even bother with a boat unless there is only 1-2 divers. Then the costs don't work out well.

Last edited:
When you say good, like Wakatobi good? Palau good? I'd much rather have a guide to navigate, find the good stuff. And all I have to worry about are camera settings and how much air or bottom time I have left.

And the cost is almost $2k not including meals?

Different strokes for different folks.

Sounds like shore diving in bon ain't for you

My young daughter and I spent almost 2 hours on 1 dive going round and round the mooring blocks at something special hunting the Orange frogfish we heard hung out there. It was there, just not on the mooring block.

I doubt your guide in Palau would stand for that. And if he found that magical critter I really wouldn't be very interested.

But that's ok, folks are different.

And that is what Bonaire is about.

That's why we go to bonaire.

Edit: spelling

You can make Bonaire a great dive trip or you can make it an average dive trip. I’ve even been with people who had a terrible time. Some people just prefer a boat. I had a blast on a Turks & Caicos liveaboard last year. Of course, I was one of only two “Ironman” divers who hit the water 27 times out of 27 possible dives. I also was, for the most part, left the hell alone by the DM’s on the boat.

Some of us just prefer to be self sufficient and to make our own choices about diving.

I went to Bonaire last month with my wife and a couple we travel with. In that group, im by far the most experienced diver, meaning I was leading most of the dives, choosing the sites, etc. On this trip everyone I’ll be with is very experienced, most of us will be on rebreathers and we’ll be enjoying Tech Week. I am looking forward to a few warm relaxing 3+ hour dives and being in charge of nothing but my own gear.

If you asked me I’d tell you to go once and go with a great group, preferably with someone who knows the diving on the island. And don’t worry about the whole truck theft thing. Be smart, follow the recommendations about leaving nothing in the truck and you’ll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom