Why shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the sentiment on this thread that Bonaire is for some but not for all. I'm glad we made the trip and loved the island topside, but the diving wasn't our cup of tea so we wouldn't be likely to go back unless it was with a group of friends. It was easy and flexible, but we like more varied topography. We didn't stay at a resort and instead opted to rent a house, but had no issues with theft. We left plain clothes and cheap sunglasses/flip flops in the truck with the windows down and took our key/money underwater with us. No one wanted our junk, I guess!

We can get the same ease of shore diving on GCM staying up in the West Bay. The marine life isn't quite as plentiful, but still pretty darn good. As far as reef health and plentiful marine life, I thought Saba knocked Bonaire and GCM out of the water. It's not flexible diving and it's not cheap diving, though. It's a set schedule that takes up most of your day because it's a haul to get to the boat but you can get in 4 dives a day if you want including a night dive, or 3 daytime dives without having to do multiple trips.

No crowds,
Your milage may vary on that one. Some divers seem to move in schools. Could be confirmation bias, but often in Buddy Dive pickup trucks :D.

Not a biggie on Bonaire, just move to the next site. :D
Or get a small waterproof container and take it with you when you dive.

That's a good idea for house and carkeys anyway. There's also watertight containers for phones that will keep them dry on recreational depths. Sunglasses may be an issue (I usually either leave mine at home, or (they're plastic Oakleys) simply put them in my BCD.

The one thing I haven't read is how anyone takes and protects their cell phone. Does no one ever have a problem and need emergency services? If this is not the case, how do you hide your cell phone to call for help? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I have one of those cheap, ultra tiny phones that with my keys in my watertight container.

That canister does look solid. But did I mention I'm cheap? There's usually enough traffic passing the dive sites that I don't worry much about emergencies until we go up to Nukove. Here's the one piece of gear I do feel is a necessity: Aqua Tire Inflator

I'd be surprised if there was cell phone reception in Nukove, to be honest. There is typically none in the National Park.

Bonaire is great, in context. I personally like shore diving, but I tend to take it a bit calmer compared to, say, a liveaboard where you can easily do 4 dives a day. You *could* absolutely do that on Bonaire, but the logistics soak up time, so I usually go for a more relaxed 2 or 3 dives.

Regarding protecting cell phone, etc., I built a dive canister that I strap on to my BCD using nylon dog collars whenever I dive. Inside it contains my PLB and my handheld VHF radio. I put in a 2 lb weight to make it neutral buoyant. It is made from PVC, and I seal it with teflon tape. I've had it down to 115' without any problems.

80-picture_php_pictureid_86256_8288c26101606b0d529cb34b0acc848797a95cc2.jpg

80-picture_php_pictureid_86258_abc096066c79752d52676e372adb465ab23c6179.jpg

80-picture_php_pictureid_86257_8d7da234ed024744378787e4bc3148186d1a26cb.jpg

When I filled out my PLB SAR card, I annotated "survivor will have VHF radio and will be monitoring CH 16".

Nice kit! I assume the VHF radio itself is watertight enough to operate when very wet? (IP-x6 or IP-x7, I think)

Nice kit! I assume the VHF radio itself is watertight enough to operate when very wet? (IP-x6 or IP-x7, I think)

Yes, it's a Standard Horizon HX-851 w/built-in GPS. Submersible IPX8 waterproof rating (1.5M or 4.92 feet for 30 minutes)

My LDS goes to Bonaire about every three years. I never go, because I can’t seem to understand why people would spend so much to go shore diving. Loading a truck, driving around, can’t bring anything because people rob the trucks. Putting gear together, breaking it down, way too much work for vacation. The flights there suck. I’d much rather put my gear on a boat and leave it there for a week, only thing I have to do is check nitrox. Am I missing something? Is the diving that good?
If that's the extent of your interest in diving, then by all means stay home or go elsewhere. One thing I have learned by diving by myself in 3 ft of water for as long as I want and when I want is that there are many, many fish species to be seen where no typical dive master will ever take you. If you are not interested in such things or if you are happy to play follow the leader and/or somebody else's agenda, that is your call.

If that's the extent of your interest in diving, then by all means stay home or go elsewhere. One thing I have learned by diving by myself in 3 ft of water for as long as I want and when I want is that there are many, many fish species to be seen where no typical dive master will ever take you. If you are not interested in such things or if you are happy to play follow the leader and/or somebody else's agenda, that is your call.
I enjoy diversity in my diving. I went to Cocos, Roatan, Cayman Brac, Bonaire and to my house in Florida several times last year. It's sad to me when comments regarding others preferences in diving become derogatory and condescending. Everyone has their own favorites, there's something for every diver, they're all good :)

scubadada,

Not sure what you're getting at here. If you're defending going postal - who seems to be trolling the Bonaire forum - I'm not with you.

boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom