Why shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but no way am I trusting my smartphone to a water-proof box.

Maybe get yourself one of those new iphone underwater camera housings and you can not only take it with you on the dive but use it to take pictures.

I used to read of people using a company called Digicel in Bonaire for cell phones and SIM cards. Unless anyone’s heard differently, I’d check with them.

Sorry, but no way am I trusting my smartphone to a water-proof box.

Not a box or bag, no. But if you really want to take a phone, I feel confident relying on something like the McMurdo canister, made of aluminum, rated to 492 feet: McMurdo Dive Canister - Star Marine Depot

That canister does look solid. But did I mention I'm cheap? There's usually enough traffic passing the dive sites that I don't worry much about emergencies until we go up to Nukove. Here's the one piece of gear I do feel is a necessity: Aqua Tire Inflator

That canister does look solid. But did I mention I'm cheap? There's usually enough traffic passing the dive sites that I don't worry much about emergencies until we go up to Nukove. Here's the one piece of gear I do feel is a necessity: Aqua Tire Inflator

And don't forget the tire plug kit ... I even plugged a steer tire on my 18 wheeler one night in the middle of no where..

Jim...

And the sad part about the coral... The warm water does a job, But Divers that should be still working on learning the BASIC's are kicking and crashing into the reef... I dove a spot almost on the east coast that VERY FEW know about and the reef is just stunning... Big fields of fans and soft corals on hills of living hard corals and fish every where....

Jim....

And the sad part about the coral... The warm water does a job, But Divers that should be still working on learning the BASIC's are kicking and crashing into the reef... I dove a spot almost on the east coast that VERY FEW know about and the reef is just stunning... Big fields of fans and soft corals on hills of living hard corals and fish every where....

Jim....
I agree. If you take away the divers with no buoyancy control, the sunscreen and a lot of activity on the near shore the coral always seems to do better. I have not dived the east side but I think a bit more current helps there as well.

I’m on my way home now from Bonaire. Never locked the room to the hotel, never lost a towel, water bottle, shirt, anything to theft from the room or the truck.

I had the distinct pleasure of taking someone to dive far down south for her first shore dive south of Salt Pier. We dove an unmarked site near Kite City and when she got out of the water she had a grin from ear to ear. Beautiful dive, tons of life, somewhere I’ve got some footage of a green moray that looked like was posing for a centerfold.

I’m glad it’s not for everyone. Keeps it reasonably priced for those of us who love it. When I get a chance, I’ll upload some photos.

Just a side note....anyone who dove Alice in Wonderland in the weeks after Matthew hit, that site was one of the worst ones messed up by the storm. I was on the island a week after Matthew and it looked like a snowstorm had covered the site. It looks much better now.

As a thought to the debate over if the corals are healthy or not.

I think you should consider the time of year, currents, etc in your opinion. If you visit in August when the water is the warmest perhaps the corals looks stressed. They might looks much healthier 4 months later in cooler Dec waters.

Same with current - the corals will prefer the higher current times.

What is good for the divers might not actually be the best for the corals...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom