Shore Diving Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Originally I was going to be doing a charter dive in Lake Huron but my flight had changed and as a result, I get in too late and had to cancel. That being said, I'm thinking about doing a shore dive to get that Lake Huron experience this year and I'll return to dive a wreck sometime in the future.

I'm flying into Detroit, the next day I will be diving Lake Michigan so I have a good 5-7 hours to work with, commute time included. I'm just looking at doing a 30-45 min dive and then head out. Any good recommendations of any good shore diving? Thanks!!!!

Just discovered Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary! Plenty of places to shore dive from! Whoo hoo!

I'm late to the party, but if Alpena is out of the way there's plenty of shore diving off Port Austin and Grindstone City. Same with Harbor Beach with 4-5 wrecks in the harbor itself. St. Clair River is awesome right now for vis.

I'm late to the party, but if Alpena is out of the way there's plenty of shore diving off Port Austin and Grindstone City. Same with Harbor Beach with 4-5 wrecks in the harbor itself. St. Clair River is awesome right now for vis.
Hey better late than never. I like this option because a quick look shows it saves an hour in commute time coming from Detroit airport. Are the wrecks in this area marked with buoys, what are the depths and what is the surface swim like in terms of distance?

Depths are less than 20ft. None of the wrecks are marked with surface buoys except in harbor Beach where they have navigation buoys over the Chicamunga. Swims will typically be 50-150 yds from shore. Let me get my guide out and post here in a hour.

Hey better late than never. I like this option because a quick look shows it saves an hour in commute time coming from Detroit airport. Are the wrecks in this area marked with buoys, what are the depths and what is the surface swim like in terms of distance?
When are you planning on visiting and with what equipment? Are you comfortable with river diving? Or do you want to hit the big lake no matter what?

So if you want to hit the river for wrecks and souvenirs there's 3 levels of diving.

1. Port Huron boardwalk is mostly a drift dive. However if you read my post about the sturgeon dives, you can make it to the wreck of the Tremble and back to your original entry point. South of the Black River in a massive dirt parking lot are 3 wrecks joined together at the bow and depths are around 5 to 25 feet and it's out of the major current.

2. St. Clair. The St. Clair boardwalk is about 10 miles south of Port Huron and the river is slower there on most days and you can easily go upstream. Right out from the large brick hotel in the middle of the river is the massive wreck of William Wolf. It's in 35 feet of water, but you will have to navigate underwater from a compass bearing. Most of the diving is done near the breakwall where there is much more items going to 25ft. Once you hit 30ft and in the channel, it's essentially desert until the Wolf's wreck.

3. Marine City. The current swings from very slow to fast depending on the wind direction. The entire length of the city is open to divers from the main beach down to the old ferry dock. 2 busted up wrecks lie in 20ft of water exactly 35 yards off shore. (Past the weed bed and on a slope) don't go past 30ft as there's nothing there.

4. Algonac boardwalk. Depths can get a little deeper here. Parts of the boardwalk just short off the breakwall can reach 50ft or so. Lots of bottle and such. Current is dependent on the wind, but rarely strong enough not to swim against.

I recommend visiting Anchor Bay Scuba in Fair Haven. They know the river quite well and will be able to give you landmarks to take bearings for.

As for Lake Huron shore diving, you gotta keep an eye on the weather. It's been chocolate milk as we've had lots of rain and North winds the last week and the shoreline has been hit hard. I'm trying to find some GPS #s for the shore sites and public access might be a challenge on some. Harbor Beach is your best bet as of now though Port Austin reef has some interesting rock formations along with tons of shipwreck wreckage (not a lot of hulls).

I'm more interested in doing actual lake dive, even if it is chocolate milk. Because my flight was changed I have limited time that day, so I just want to go out and get a 20-30 min dive in and be on my way. As for gear, I'll be bringing my own gear, except a tank.

Back
Top Bottom