Why Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepuskar
However, when doing shallow reef diving to say 60ft I think a CCR is riskier.

"I don't agree with that at all."

You don't agree that I think a shallow dive to 60ft on a CCR is more riskier than OC? That's interesting...lol.

We can go around all day on different diving scenarios and how a RB is safer than OC...I'm not going to dispute that certain instances a RB is safer..especially when time is a factor.

All I'm saying is...it's not for everyone, the training is more demanding, the level of attention is more demanding..there is an underlying reason why all of this is...

Is rebreather diving considered technical diving? Last time I checked technical diving was considered riskier.

J

We can go around all day on different diving scenarios and how a RB is safer than OC...

No, "we" are not. I'm in the middle of preparing to go do some risky cave diving with my safe rebreather. :D

Have fun.

I just did an absolute super "fun dive" on boxing day. We swam from Tyee to Dolphin and back (Parksville, Vancouver Island Canada). Max depth 85 fsw, avg. depth 57 fsw. Took 1.5 hours total at a very relaxed pace.

The dive was done with 3 rebreather divers (including myself) plus several divers on twins and a few on single tanks. The single tank divers did the dive one way (Tyee to Dolphin) and the rest, including the tech OC divers did the return as well.

No-one went into deco on the dive, but the OC folks needed twins to complete the return journey. The RB divers could have done the entire dive at much deeper depths and still had minimal deco (if any) and PLENTY of gas for the dive. Not so the OC folks.

Of course, cold and "need to pee" turned out to be the limiting factor for many! :-D

Still, I was no less "safe" on my CCR than the OC folks were on their rigs. I was able to swim in a totally relaxed manner, knowing my gas supply was a real factor in the dive. Plus, with the warm, moist air of the RB, the cold water affected me a LOT less. I could have easily stayed out much, much longer.

-S

There's a reason why I sold all of my perfectly good open circuit gear. I already had it. So, if I felt that using it instead of my rebreather were safer for a certain range of diving, I would not have sold it.

BTW, as you'll learn in your full training, making the rebreather your primary equipment is one of the things that enhances safety. Use it all the time instead of going back and forth between OC an CCR.

:deadhorse:

oh wait

and finally,

So is that finally your very last post on the subject?

WAIT

WAIT

WAIT

just had to get that out of my system

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom