Why Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you've been saying "1 and 1 is apples".

true if you have apples, which you do in this case

oh wait!

deadhorse.gif

i understand now that rebreathers are just as simple as scuba, with no extra training needed, no extra dangers, nothing else to look out for above and beyond the inherent risk already present in scuba!

by gosh, they're just scuba with a different name... that's all ...

dude, next we should try and convince people they can just pick up a rebreather after an OW class and just go diving ... no extra risk to manage, no new dangers to be aware of, no new training needed ... just scuba that lasts a long longer!

thanks for the explanation

oh oh oh oh me me me me me

deadhorse.gif

Wow. This sounds like pretty scary stuff. I better get my blankie. I sit here very puzzled as to how I've managed to survive all these CCR dives. Why haven't I botched the setup? Why haven't I gone hypoxic by now? Why hasn't my rebreather come apart? How did I survive 270ffw? How on earth did I make it back from 4,000+ feet in a cave? Why haven't I forgot to check my PO2? Why have I never had to bail out from the rebreather? The more I think about it the more I wonder why anything hasn't gone wrong in over 100 CCR dives because it just can't be safer than open circuit. Luck maybe?

Do you want congratulations for following your training?

Ohh and thanks for living up to the elitest attitude that is soo common with CCR divers. I hope after 100 CCR dives I don't come across the way you do. :shakehead: As a trained CCR diver you should know that its only a matter of time before something fails.

So tell me again why CCR diving is not for everyone? Also, I need to know why the training and knowledge required is more extensive than OC?

Well, this thread is certainly past its due date. :shakehead:

Do you want congratulations for following your training?

Ohh and thanks for living up to the elitest attitude that is soo common with CCR divers. I hope after 100 CCR dives I don't come across the way you do. :shakehead: As a trained CCR diver you should know that its only a matter of time before something fails.

So tell me again why CCR diving is not for everyone? Also, I need to know why the training and knowledge required is more extensive than OC?

Elitest attitude? Show me a long running history that supports it and I'll give you that one.

Glad I could help out though. Congratulations are not needed. This was not to toot my horn but to show that rebreathers aren't as dangerous as the uneducated run around proclaiming. I sometimes get tired of hearing and dealing with it. There are locations that I'd like to dive that are off-limits to rebreathers for no good reason other than lack of knowledge.

I make every dive with the expectation that something will fail. It hasn't yet in over 100 dives. That was my point. Furthermore, it hasn't thumbed a dive a dive or caused a panic with any buddies diving rebreathers with me also.

It's not for everyone because the vast majority don't:

1) Want to commit the funds
2) Want to commit the time and energy to maintainance
3) Have the mind set to operate the unit

Why is the training more extensive than OC? That's because you have galvanic O2 sensors measuring the loop, a loop with variable gas content and a CO2 scrubber. If you can drive a car, you can learn to dive a rebreather. However, some people are not so good at operating a car as they probably won't be operating a rebreather as well. For those that are good at driving a car, well, ......

This is my last post in this thread. I'll leave you with a thought provoking question though.

Are open circuit 1st and 2nd stage regulators technical or recreational diving equipment?

Have fun

There are locations that I'd like to dive that are off-limits to rebreathers for no good reason other than lack of knowledge.

This is my last post in this thread. I'll leave you with a thought provoking question though.

Have fun

What locations have you found off limits?

Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom