Why Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i can only repeat myself so many times without losing my mind

which i think i just did

there's only so many times you can say "but 1 and 1 is 2" and hear it come back, "but 2 and 1 is 3"

yeah ... no kidding ...

deadhorse.gif

But you've been saying "1 and 1 is apples".

-S

Is rebreather diving considered technical diving?

Yes AND No

Ok....

Andy is the lawyer and you're the politician. Good luck with the elections later this year.

I dislike politics very, very much. I find it extremely boring and a waste of energy.

I don't need to actually get in the water or formally be trained on one to form an educated opinion on it. The keyword is educated! Some of us are capable of self-educating through books, videos, and conversations with experienced individuals. While this certainly doesn't replace formal education under the guidance of a competent instructor, it does however allow me the opportunity to participate in discussions like these with a very good understanding of each sides points.

I think you may want to re-visit your use of the term "educated opinion," because you've chosen to apply it to a technical subject which requires a high degree of actual practical experience in order to engage in a analytical discussion comparing the degree of risk involved in it's use as campared to other diving systems. Consequently, how "educated" can an opinion referring this subject be, if the source of that opinion has not actually logged considerable real world underwater experience with a unit strapped to his/her back?

Jep,

<thinking more about this as I prepare my diving day> If you've read enough on rebreathers, you'd understand my answer. And really, you should already know this answer per your "self education" thus far.

I don't really see how having in water experience matters much to this conversation. I am aware of how rebreathers fail, I am aware of the emergency procedures for recovering, and I know the do's and dont's of a MOD1 level CCR diver. If you want to discredit my opinion for not having actual inwater experience fine, it's an easy and expected argument, which I may have used myself based on the person posting.

Since my opinion differs I'm an easy target for this kind of an argument, but if I agreed with you guys nobody would be discrediting me for my lack of experience.

There is one major difference though in my viewpoint as someone with no practical experience..I dont have the pride or sense of accomplishment of being a CCR diver. With that I sense some divers feel the need to promote or solidify CCR's to us non-educated people.

CCR diving is inherently more riskier than OC because the chance of human error is greater. More to setup, more to check, more to monitor, more recovery modes, more likelyhood of error.

Don't you guys pride yourselves on being diligent/non-complacent?

J

i pushed an old lady in front of a bus last week

well, ok, i thought about it

and i have six overdue public library books

OMG Andy!!!!!!
I always thought you were a better person than this !!!!!!!!! :dropmouth:
Not one, but six overdue books??????
Shame,shame :no

...but if I agreed with you guys nobody would be discrediting me for my lack of experience.

The truth is I would be on the side of discrediting you no matter which side you are on because of your lack of in-water experience.

There is one major difference though in my viewpoint as someone with no practical experience..I dont have the pride or sense of accomplishment of being a CCR diver. With that I sense some divers feel the need to promote or solidify CCR's to us non-educated people.

You can sit on the sidelines and watch "us" dive from a safe distance if you'd like. It won't bother me in the least.

CCR diving is inherently more riskier than OC because the chance of human error is greater. More to setup, more to check, more to monitor, more recovery modes, more likelyhood of error.

Wow. This sounds like pretty scary stuff. I better get my blankie. I sit here very puzzled as to how I've managed to survive all these CCR dives. Why haven't I botched the setup? Why haven't I gone hypoxic by now? Why hasn't my rebreather come apart? How did I survive 270ffw? How on earth did I make it back from 4,000+ feet in a cave? Why haven't I forgot to check my PO2? Why have I never had to bail out from the rebreather? The more I think about it the more I wonder why anything hasn't gone wrong in over 100 CCR dives because it just can't be safer than open circuit. Luck maybe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom