Why Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shawley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why do people use rebreathers???
What is the purpose? (i know it eliminates bubbles)
I know some use it to dive with sharks but is there any other reasons?

The basic difference between open circuit and rebreathers is that, on open circuit, the gas you exhale is lost into the water. On a rebreather, the gas you exhale is recirculated through a scrubber that removes the carbon dioxide. Since you don't take all the oxygen out of the gas you breathe, you can reuse it with the periodic addition of more oxygen-containing gas.

Therefore, you can remain at a given depth a lot longer for a given amount of gas used up from your supply. You may not have to carry tanks as big as you would require for open circuit diving. This is particularly appreciated by technical divers who are using helium, as helium is very expensive.

There are other advantages relating to decompression, and problems relating to having to carry "bailout" gas, which is the gas you need if the rebreather malfunctions and you have to switch to open circuit to get home. But the big advantage of all kinds of rebreathers is the extended bottom time for a given amount of gas consumed.

what TSandM said

basically you can dive a lot, lot longer with rebreathers and you dont' have to carry a dozen bottles to do it

i pushed an old lady in front of a bus last week

well, ok, i thought about it

and i have six overdue public library books

Rebreathers are useful if you need to exceed the range of open circuit technical scuba (100 m / 350 fsw for 20 mins B/T).

They are also useful if you need to do commercial or professional filming underwater or work on oil wells, bridges, or tunnels.

Naval/military need to use them for stealth operations or deep submarine rescue/recovery.

The operative word is "need."

Rebreathers are great for extended range in either depth or bottom time. I'm not a
deep tec diver yet have found them to be very enjoyable.

for example:

I like diving Day Island wall, a favored local dive site in Tacoma WA with a max depth around 130 FSW. It requires a hefty swin, easiest under water but hard on air consumption. It often requires dealing with anywhere from mild to extreme current, also hard on air consumption. On OC it was an hour dive at best, with only a short time in the deeper realm where all the octos and wolf eels are.

On a rebreather and a favorable tidal exchange, I have been able to do a two hour dive on it and only used up about 2/3 of my gas capacity and only racked up 5 minutes of deco (which was totally gone long before the stop). Swimming out to the wall was no problem, I didn't really need to worry about how much gas I had. I saw many times more of the usual critters since I could go at a steady and slow pace and did not sound like a train going through everyone's back yard. I got to stay down deeper, much longer due to the decompression benefits. I spent most of the dive between 130 and 70 FSW...for a two hour dive on OC at that depth you'd be into multiple mixes and multiple stops to pull that off.

For me Nitrox was the gateway gas on the way to rebreather diving, where you don't have to calculate the MOD before the dive, you have lots of options.

The other thing I've noticed is that I do not get so fatigued from diving, my muscles don't ache so much. It's probably because my core temperature stays warmer and because I don't take on so much nitrogen, and the little that I do I off gas mostly before even getting to the surface as my o2 fraction gets richer and richer as I near the surface. by the time i'm at 15 ft i'm near 80% o2 in the mix.

it's time consuming, cost quite a bit to get into but for those who just can't get enough from OC, it's well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom