Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...a la Mike Nelson! Hey, @Snusmumrik do you have a picture or a link to this device?
Ah, man, i steal basic idea from AP Diving - look at APSMBCi at AP Self-sealing SMB Marker Buoy with Inflation Cylinder
My SMB is made from OMS red self-sealing sausage and 0,1l 200bar steel cylinder with custom connector.
IMG_6088.JPG

True, but they do say that in the course. I've sat in on several GUE Fundamentals courses, and when they do the module on buoyancy and trim, they say for example, it's ok to follow the slope of a wall, bottom topography, etc. Your body position can correspond to the environment you're in. Also in an emergency, do what you have to do.

It could be different instructors or different times, not sure.

I can't recall what might have been said about deviating from horizontal trim in the classroom portion of my Fundies course (2014), but we spent zero time in the water following the contour of the bottom, so the topic probably did not come up in a context in which I would have remembered it. When I took Drysuit Primer a couple of years later, we did a LOT of following slopes up and down. But Fundies definitely left me with the impression that out in the real world GUE divers always maintain horizontal trim, use their computers in gauge mode, and yes, assemble the SMB and spool on-the-fly.

I can't recall what might have been said about deviating from horizontal trim in the classroom portion of my Fundies course (2014), but we spent zero time in the water following the contour of the bottom, so the topic probably did not come up in a context in which I would have remembered it. When I took Drysuit Primer a couple of years later, we did a LOT of following slopes up and down. But Fundies definitely left me with the impression that out in the real world GUE divers always maintain horizontal trim, use their computers in gauge mode, and yes, assemble the SMB and spool on-the-fly.

GUE divers, in my experience, are rock solid. Some of the best if not "the best" taken as a group in their fundamentals. However, one downside of the GUE/DIR philosophy is missing the forest for the trees. There are absolutely times when rock solid skills are called for and immensely helpful if not critical. However, outside of technical diving (cave, wreck penetration, deco) there are many instances where "letting your hair down" is not only warranted but helpful. If I were to get hung up on rock solid horizontal trim at ALL TIMES I would miss a good bit of the marine life I see on every dive. Sometimes I have to go heads down, sometimes maybe roll over to look up, sometimes go somewhat vertical to scan the reef for cool critters I may be missing, sometimes go perfectly vertical in mid water on ascent to scan for boats, dolphins, sailfish, swimming crabs, etc., etc.. I'd encourage you to work hard to maintain what I'm sure are intensely solid skills, but also be willing to let yourself deviate from them when the environment and the situation warrants it.

GUE divers, in my experience, are rock solid. Some of the best if not "the best" taken as a group in their fundamentals. However, one downside of the GUE/DIR philosophy is missing the forest for the trees. There are absolutely times when rock solid skills are called for and immensely helpful if not critical. However, outside of technical diving (cave, wreck penetration, deco) there are many instances where "letting your hair down" is not only warranted but helpful. If I were to get hung up on rock solid horizontal trim at ALL TIMES I would miss a good bit of the marine life I see on every dive. Sometimes I have to go heads down, sometimes maybe roll over to look up, sometimes go somewhat vertical to scan the reef for cool critters I may be missing, sometimes go perfectly vertical in mid water on ascent to scan for boats, dolphins, sailfish, swimming crabs, etc., etc.. I'd encourage you to work hard to maintain what I'm sure are intensely solid skills, but also be willing to let yourself deviate from them when the environment and the situation warrants it.

Okay, this is getting off topic, but yes, you're absolutely correct. Not only are there circumstances under which it is totally reasonable to deviate from the norms we were taught, but it's good to remember that "reasonable" isn't even a requirement. Sometimes you can deviate just for the fun of it, as related in this classic thread: My day with Jarrod, or how I was right all along . . .

I tie a tiny loop in the end of my large loop before girth hitching my smb. This way if i want a spool by itself it is easy to grab the tiny loop and undo the hitch. Otherwise it is attached during open water diving.

Not an issue really.
Dive with Showa 720 gloves and thick undergloves, can still put my SMB and reel together in a hassle.
I definitely prefer having it pre assembled though as that just makes things easier, but don't see how dry gloves would ruin that.
Practice makes perfect.
It works; but the dexterity can be signifigantly less than bare hands, so it does take a bit longer and is more challenging.

Okay, this is getting off topic, but yes, you're absolutely correct. Not only are there circumstances under which it is totally reasonable to deviate from the norms we were taught, but it's good to remember that "reasonable" isn't even a requirement. Sometimes you can deviate just for the fun of it, as related in this classic thread: My day with Jarrod, or how I was right all along . . .

Absolutely. @JimBlay, you might be surprised how crazy silly some GUE instructors are when they're not training.

For example, Bob Sherwood, who is known for the most incredible control and the highest standards, loves to turn onto his back and blow bubble rings, play games, and just be a fun dive buddy during a rec dive.

Everything is about time and place. You have to show that you can perform to the standards during the course. After that, it just comes naturally anyway. It's the least amount of work to just be neutral, relaxed, and unencumbered, not using bandwidth to maintain position anywhere. We certainly "let our hair down". :)

I am dry land practicing with my new finger spool and DSMB while wearing my dry gloves. I have watched multiple videos demonstrating how to do it and in all the videos the first task is to attach the line from the finger spool to the DSMB.
Is there a reason why I can't attach the line before the dive and carry it that way? Just seams like it would be easier.
I see instructors partly inflating the SMB when demonstrating there use over and over.

Absolutely. @JimBlay, you might be surprised how crazy silly some GUE instructors are when they're not training.

THIS! The only divers that take GUE and this perceived "corps d'esprit" too seriously are freshly minted "fundies" divers with a pass under their belt, thinking they own the world and need to preach to the "infidels". Almost everybody else is super relaxed, and some are outright funny (and crazy underwater). It's not a religious sect you know ;-)

Back
Top Bottom