Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The good thing about using a spool rather than a small reel is you can hold the spool with one hand (using thumb and middle finger through the spool) and with your index finger hold the SMB inflator against the str
ing in the spool. This leaves your other hand free to pop off the drysuit inflator hose and push it into the inflation spiggot on top of the spool. Once filled, you just lift your index finger off and up it goes with the spool rotating in your hand.

Pictures. Amazingly this isn't underwater, so things tend to dangle down a lot more than in the sea :)

Remove the double ender and clip it out of the way on your chest D-ring

IMG_7728.jpg
IMG_7729.jpg

Roll up the spare line and tidy things up:
IMG_7730.jpg
IMG_7731.jpg

Finally, roll up the slack onto the spool.

Hold the spool between thumb and middle finger. Put your index finger over the top and hold down the inflator spigot. This is now held strongly in your hand and won't get free, i.e. you can hold it like this for as long as you like. You can flick the SMB out of the way in the water.

To launch, use your drysuit inflator hose. Or your bailout. Or make sure you add a spare hose to your single-regulator rig (the easy place for this is to tape it to your SPG (pressure gauge) so it's easy to get to and tidy).

Use your other hand to GENTLY push the inflation nipple/spigot into the BCD/Schrader valve.

When ready to launch (you have looked above you, around you, nodded at your team-mate/buddy... Then flick the SMB out and press hard as it inflates. Do that for as long as you can so it's going to be properly inflated on the surface. Nobody likes a flaccid SMB.

When you've squirted in enough gas, just lift your index finger and the whole SMB will fly off to the surface and the spool will unwind between your thumb and finger.

Once it's hit the surface, make sure the slack's taken up AND RECONNECT your drysuit inflator, or don't forget it!

Signal to your teammate/buddy your target depth for your first stop and off you go... Deep breath to start then wind all the way, periodically dumping from your drysuit and BCD/wing.

DON'T DROP THE BLOODY SPOOL. OK.

When at a stop, knit the spool up as per the other pics.

Personally, when at a stop, I like to leave the spool bouncing up and down in front of me on its own. Gives you a reference depth and less hassle with the waves pulling the spool out of your hand. Leaning on it slightly negatively buoyant really isn't cool. If there's a strongish breeze, the spool can move away from you moderately quickly. Good exercise to chase it.

IMG_7732.jpg

Ah perfect, thank you! As a follow up to that: does it matter to have two boltsnaps there (one knitted to the reel and one attached to the DSMB)? My DSMB has a metal ring and my line is attached to that. But from what I see, I could do exactly as shown in the picture sequence and then use that same double ender to clip to my d ring. Possibly clip the "knitted" side of it to the DSMB metal ring for extra safety. Objections?
It's a Halcyon SMB, so comes with a "single" ender boltsnap. Some SMBs come with a simple D-ring.

Ok great. So I can indeed use the double ender to attach the whole thing to the d ring of my bp&w. Thanks for your help!

Ok great. So I can indeed use the double ender to attach the whole thing to the d ring of my bp&w. Thanks for your help!
Can you put it into your drysuit/wetsuit pocket?

Best place for it as it can't try and run away to join Neptune's museum of shiny things.

If not, if your SMB has a boltsnap, then use both boltsnaps to the D-ring.

No dry suit yet and a bp&w without additional pockets. I don't really wanna get those cargo shorts. So d ring it is, for now at least. The DSMB has a metal ring only. I could attach another double ender but don't really see the point. I followed the instructions but clipped the double ender to the DSMB metal ring as well. The other side would go on my d ring.
This is what it looks like now. Seems pretty secure to me. I tried twisting and turning it but the double ender stayed put.

Attachments

• 20230417_215147.jpg
    20230417_215147.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 40
No dry suit yet and a bp&w without additional pockets. I don't really wanna get those cargo shorts. So d ring it is, for now at least. The DSMB has a metal ring only. I could attach another double ender but don't really see the point. I followed the instructions but clipped the double ender to the DSMB metal ring as well. The other side would go on my d ring.
This is what it looks like now. Seems pretty secure to me. I tried twisting and turning it but the double ender stayed put.

Fancy stuff but in real life, using it every day, the swivels they use are trash. I use a medium sized fishing swivel that keeps the line from twisting.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom