Why No HOG Reg Reviews in Recreational Dive Magazines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EDGE April 2007 really...HOG about a year later.

So how long has Hog-Edge been around now?

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 06:28 PM ----------

It is bad either way, with the piston there seems to be less HP seat issues than with the diaphragm after a flood (from observation over years of this stuff, not a scientific study). Regardless of design, it actually takes some work to flood a first stage, the pressure needs to be off and you need to either remove it from the valve or depress the purge button on the second a LONG time ....even then it's unlikely you'll completely flood the stage. In fact the most common place I have seen regs get flooded in in rinse buckets.....
OK, still don't understand. . . it would seem like badness for either a piston/diaphram regulator to get nasty, corrosive salt water where it is not supposed to be.

If this ever happens to me, how would I know, and should I plan on stripping that primary stage and cleaning it?

And if the primary became flooded, what difference would there be in clearing it?

EDGE April 2007 really...HOG about a year later.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 06:28 PM ----------

It is bad either way, with the piston there seems to be less HP seat issues than with the diaphragm after a flood (from observation over years of this stuff, not a scientific study). Regardless of design, it actually takes some work to flood a first stage, the pressure needs to be off and you need to either remove it from the valve or depress the purge button on the second a LONG time ....even then it's unlikely you'll completely flood the stage. In fact the most common place I have seen regs get flooded in in rinse buckets.....

So if I flooded a first stage while diving, how would I know and if I did, should I count on taking it apart and giving it a thorough cleaning?

And what is inherentlly diffierent about a piston (vs diaphram) first stage if flooded?

I think you misread it. The pistons are not more likely to flood. They tolerate floods easier and it is easier to clean them.

Sealing has nothing to do with flooding the reg. The reg is flooded through one of the holes , in most cases I guess through the tank connector when the reg is no pressurized.

All of my floods happened when the reg was on the stage that was clipped off to a leash while scootering.

Why are piston first stages more likely to flood than diaphram first(s)? Shouldn't a purge on the second stage blow any water out of either?

I would have throught that since diaphram firsts are sealed, they would be less likely to flood.

So quoting Duane's review:

Testing the HOG regulators on Deco/Stage Bottles
Let me start this section off by saying that I do not like my Apeks DST first stage on a deco or stage bottle. I find that the first stage sticks out and interferes with access to the valve knob on the bottle. The HOG regulator had this same problem. Why is this a problem for me? I dive in very cold water (i.e. low 30s Fahrenheit). Free flows are a constant worry for us. When a free flow happens on a deco or stage bottle, we “feather” the valve. That is keep it turned off when we are exhaling, then slightly crack it open when taking a breath. When “feather” the valve on a deco/stage bottle, it is critical to be able to keep your hand on the knob. My Scubapro regulators do not stick out and interfere with the valve knob.

I submit two photos. One of an MK20 and one of a Hog D1. I'll let you be the judge. Personally, I can't for the life of me see how the Hog "interferes" with the valve. And I don't have small hands. I slung it on my BP/W and reached for the valve. Seems good to me. I'll have to dive it this week to find out for sure of course. Anyone want to join me?

photo4.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpg

Angled valve knob doesn't count vis-a-vis doubles manifold.

The quote wasn't about doubles. It was about deco/stage bottles.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2013 at 09:07 AM ----------

I just asked my husband (who has HOG regs on his doubles) if he'd ever grabbed the first stage instead of the valve knob during a drill, and he looked at me in confusion and said no.

Here's the comment vis-à-vis manifolded doubles.

The quote wasn't about doubles. It was about deco/stage bottles.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2013 at 09:07 AM ----------

Here's the comment vis-à-vis manifolded doubles.

Actually that's wrong. Duane's feedback was on valve drills:

'Next up I wanted to see how the HOG regulator compared to my Apeks on my double tank configuration. I put an Apeks on my backup post and the HOG on my primary post. With this setup, I was able to switch between the two regulators while on a dive. Water temps and depths were the same. Modified S-drills went OK. The valve drill is where the HOG regulator gave me problems. The HOG D1 first stage is about an inch longer than my Apeks DS4 first stages. The HP inlet pipe is in the middle of the first stage body. This means that when the regulator is on a tank in a horizontal or slightly angled position (like when on doubles), one end of the regulator sticks out and can interfere when trying to reach the valve handle. I found on every effort at performing a valve shut down, I either grabbed the first stage body or the first stage body didn’t allow for easy access to the valve knob.'

I've read that thread. Your pictures show a stage set up where you state you wouldn't use a diaphragm reg on deco bottle, which most agree is a non issue. This thread, you reference a review that Duane produced and tried to argue that the reg isn't in the way with a setup not like a manifold in which he noted the concern.

Am I missing your point?

Did you read the part he wrote "Testing the HOG regulators on Deco/Stage Bottles"?

Back
Top Bottom