HOG vs Mares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking of buying a new regulator set - mainly HOG vs Mares... What other brands are comparable to Mares?

Which brands are regarded as better breathing? Or which ones are easier to get serviced?

What would you consider when trying to buy a regulator kit?

Diving in cold but not at freezing temps (50degree f at best)... Recreational level not tech diving yet but planning on going to get tech certified at some point in the future?

How far in the future do I need to prepare for for reg set? - feels like immediate needs are better breathing, not a hassle to get servicing, and budget under $400 for full set (1st stage, 2nd stage, octo, inflator hose and spg)

There's nothing wrong with either. You're on the right track as far as concerns go.

For budget regs, Edge-Hog is hard to beat. Know that for under 400, you're likely going to end up with unbalanced regs (i.e. the Nano).

If you want to go tech later on, I'd suggest that you consider the D1x (din valve) first stage with a Classic second. That's a little over your budget ~480, but when you move to tech, you won't be in the position of having to buy all new gear.

If you decide on edge gear, you should buy them from me :) - but any Edge dealer has access to package pricing and can build custom sets for you.

Back
Top Bottom