Why No HOG Reg Reviews in Recreational Dive Magazines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ontdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard lots of great things about HOG regs but can't recall seeing any reviews or ads in recreational dive mags. Are they considered too "tech oriented" for the recreational dive market - which I find hard to believe after seeing them being used by recreational divers in the St. Lawrence river - or is there another reason?

Most dive magazine only review equipment from advertisers.

Whenever something like this puzzles you, think cash.

Hog doesn't buy much (if any) magazine advertising. This, the magazines aren't going to cover them. To so do, would piss off their paying customers.

Speech ain't free.

You constitutional right to free speech only gets you the right to proclaim your values on your porch. Newspapers, magazines, radio and television require bags of cash

The truth is that unlike consumer reports where they actually go out and buy the products they test, recreational magazines feel that they should be provided the gear free of charge. I don't know if that will change and they do decide to send something to one of them to evaluate. I would be very interested to see what they say.

I would also be interested to see if they would review other smaller lines or single product lines that did not buy a $5000 full page ad in their magazine. And what they would say.

FWIW, I don't pay a lot of attention to what a dive magazine like Sport Diver or Scuba Diving says when it comes to gear. If something like Wreck Diver would do a review I might see that in a diffferent light.

But when there is nothing negative at all in a review, and the review sounds like regurgitated mfg ad copy, you can't put much faith in it.

Scuba magazines have no credibility in my eyes. They exist solely to promote the industry stalwarts to the never ending rotation of new divers. The reviews are far from objective and really should have "paid advertisement" printed at the top of each article.

You want a review? Take a look at my profile pic and notice what regs I'm diving. That should tell you where I stand.

http://precisiondiving.net/blog/product-review-hog-regulators/

Unpaid review by a dive instructor I respect.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 11:32 AM ----------

FYI - I took advanced nitrox/deco with Duane and have continued to dive with him over the past 4 years. I'm not providing a review from an Internet expert I don't know.

Couldn't the lack of advertisement be part of the business model I hear so many talking about on Scubaboard?

I did a Scuba Pro G250 Graphite vs a Hog 2nd stage review a few months ago. Both were connected to a scuba pro mk10. After commenting about my findings with a friend, he was telling me that I should also consider that I was comparing a brand new regulator that's has not been broken in to G250s that have almost 20 yrs of service. He mentioned that the Hog might become an even better breather as it started to accumulate more hours underwater.

Maybe it is a self fulfilling prophecy, but it seems to me that it is indeed slowly getting better. I recently took the new hog on dives to 236' and 265' and it performed great.

Here the link to the review thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...26-g250-graphite-vs-hog-adjustable-2nd-4.html

My actual review is on posts 38 and 39.

Last edited:
Chrapi,

You obviously know not what you speak of stating that there is a skill set gap in the reviewer. Duane is an accomplished diver and instructor. He has completed courses through PADI, SDI, TDI, GUE and others. He hammers valve drills in class and expects perfection

I know you love your Hogs - that's fine, but questioning skills of someone that far exceeds your capabilities only degrades your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom