why Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
Soggy, you raise some interesting points. Many which I agree with, but I have to say that in face of having his business slammed in this thread MDB has represented himself with commendable restraint and answered each of your questions rather well.

I haven't slammed his business, I'm just trying to get some quantification and supporting evidence for "better". I honestly don't know a thing about him or his business, except that the only fins he appears to sell are splits.

I think it's about personal choice. What works for one, may not work for another. Some have started with Jets and gone to splits and vice a versa. I really don't think that is a quantitative thing but rather subjective.

As to MDB and his business being slammed - perhaps I misread the tenor of your posts. I'm glad you have and continue to ask these questions. In my mind MDB has answered them excellently.

I applaud both of you, because I have learned something new about splits. Thus this board has benefited someone jaded like myself.

If the jet fins (or split fins) are superior. why do none of the freedivers use them? Don't they need the absolutely most efficient fin?

dumpsterDiver:
If the jet fins (or split fins) are superior. why do none of the freedivers use them? Don't they need the absolutely most efficient fin?

Wrong tool for the job.

Oic

True but control isn't an attribute that they are looking for. A dragster is still a car, but try driving it to market and you might be surprised by how poorly it performs the task.

dumpsterDiver:

Apples and Oranges. However, you're not suggesting that we scuba using those long fins that they use are you?

mdb:
dherbman: Here is a link to some videos showing the bio-fin in use. The videos show that the silting up issue is exactly the opposite than some describe. A split fin will silt up far less than a paddle fin, you can easily see that on the videos. We do not have
back-up kicks, or helicopter kicks on these video clips. Your comments are good, and we will work to include clips showing several other kick styles.
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Videos.htm

The videos clearly show the divers legs are moving differently. (or it appears to..)

The split fins, with no silt, the divers knees are almost constant, with limited extensions on the thighs..
With the paddle fins, the diver is moving the knees and extending (which makes the tips push the water down).
Looks like VERY controlled diving..

With the side by side comparison, the diver with splits is finning at 1.5 - 2 times the number of kicks compared to the "paddle finned" diver.. So of course one diver is trying to keep up, he is not finning at the same rate.

Just my observations. Dive what you like.. If you control your fins (split or otherwise) you can control speed / silt.

I use the long fins for scuba and snorkeling.. Gave up the jet fins except for special occasions. The long fins do require stronger ankles and legs i think, so they are not for everyone

gcbryan:
Apples and Oranges. However, you're not suggesting that we scuba using those long fins that they use are you?

I know scuba divers that have switched to long blades & that's all they'll use. They don't do caves, nor penetrate wrecks. They spear fish, and they find that the right long blades will power them & their gear through the water like nothing else.

I would like to try them some day to see for myself, but when I hunt usually speed is not my issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom