why Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the long fins are not necessarily faster, I just think they are much more efficient with regard to moving the diver though the water at a reasonable speed with the least metabolic demand. It took me 20 years to figure out that I can sprint very fast with the XL jet fins by using a super fast, small amplitude flutter kick. It does however get my heart rate up very fast also.

I've used Jet fins for 30 years - I hate them. They are exellent, and the only choice really, for confined diving profiles. But, for 90% of the diving public who blue water dives, Jets are no better than any other fin, and are worse-performing than many.

After reading this thread I find I'm as torn between twin jets, splits, and jets, single paddle, as before. I just know that swimming against current the twin jets were under powered and I achieved no acceleration at all. They let me down on one dive. Yes, I used the wrong kick, it seems, using splits, but from what I'm reading, divers using the correct fin kick ALSO have problems against current in splits.

When there is no current, or mild current, the split fins are the best. You use minimum effort to propel yourself, which has helped me save air consumption. I feel that if I'm going to be diving against current I'd like to be able to switch over to jets, instead of my splits, but I realize how impractical that is -carry two sets of fins?- switch uw to jets? I'd like to just use ONE set of fins but it apperas that one type of fin does not suit all environments or conditions. I'm feeling I need to dive with jets and make the comparison, realizing it's all subjective.

as in food for thought.

I started diving with jets, stiff, heavy, negative.... good for moving heavy gear and precise movements, short foot pocket is tough on the ankles, still have a pair I use when the need arises. i.e. doubles and need more weight on the feet

Tried a buddies apollos, heavy, easy flutter or modified flutter moves me with lots less effort, settled on a pair of (lighter) atomics, but they don't see much use

Tried and true.... Tusa blades nice and light...neutral, great for photography in light current, can back up, turn, scull, ect. ok

My favorite.... Frogs, slightly heavy, but very precise. Back kicks as good or better than the jets.

But this is just my experience, YMMV

edit> yes, I own and operate all of these fins

tony

pilot fish:
After reading this thread I find I'm as torn between twin jets, splits, and jets, single paddle, as before.

PF, use what you have. The Twin Jets will work fine for the type of diving you are doing. Work with them and perfect the proper kick. Study the videos that MDB posted and you will get an idea of the proper kick. Use that kick with the twins and you will have no problem. HONEST! If you are just cruising, pump easy. If you need to speed, pump faster. Same kick, different rate for different conditions and situations.

The links for players on the Apollo site are broke.

The Realplayer link is a link, but it isn't valid. The Quicktime button isn't even a link. I don't have a player that will handle the format of those vids. I've tried installing Quicktime before but never have been able to get the damned thing to work.

dherbman:
PF, use what you have. The Twin Jets will work fine for the type of diving you are doing. Work with them and perfect the proper kick. Study the videos that MDB posted and you will get an idea of the proper kick. Use that kick with the twins and you will have no problem. HONEST! If you are just cruising, pump easy. If you need to speed, pump faster. Same kick, different rate for different conditions and situations.

Thanks DHerb. I think you're right. Probably what I'm trying to do is fault the fin but its ME that is the problem. In all fairness, I need to try an against the current dive with the proper kick. I'll be in Coz next month and will try swim into current to see what progress I make, if Im able to do that. Be nice to buddy up with someone with jets and switch. :)

Wayward Son:
The links for players on the Apollo site are broke.

The Realplayer link is a link, but it isn't valid. The Quicktime button isn't even a link. I don't have a player that will handle the format of those vids. I've tried installing Quicktime before but never have been able to get the damned thing to work.

Wayward Son: Here are some updated links that should help
Real Player:
www.real.com/?pageid=404Page&pagere...index.html&pcode=rn&opage=404__404_index.html

Quicktime:
www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/win.html

We will get our webmaster on this and should have current updates on our site within
24 hours.

I'll have to try the Quicktime again. I just installed the free Realplayer. It works, meaning it runs & I can listen to radio stations on the net, but it doesn't seem to play your vids from the links on your page.

Maybe I can finally get Qicktime to work...

Thanks for the links.

PF - Fins are like golf clubs. A different fin for each condition. You should dive with a half dozen pairs with you and change them out during a dive depending on which direction the current runs. Make sure you don't put the left fin on the right foot otherwise you'll go in circles.

If you really don't want problems with current and kicking you could take an Apollo or Gaving scooter with you. Fire one of those up and hear the water gurgle around you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom