why Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
PF - Fins are like golf clubs. A different fin for each condition. You should dive with a half dozen pairs with you and change them out during a dive depending on which direction the current runs. Make sure you don't put the left fin on the right foot otherwise you'll go in circles.

... or you can do like my wife has been known to do... dive with just one fin! :D

Wayward Son:
I know scuba divers that have switched to long blades & that's all they'll use. They don't do caves, nor penetrate wrecks. They spear fish, and they find that the right long blades will power them & their gear through the water like nothing else.

I have Jetfins and a Cressi long fins. Both have their place. The long fins can actually have very precise movement by only using your ankles. The are also good for fast power.

Long fins also entangle more easily and I've lost a fin before.

Jetfins are heavy, and I find the pocket to be initially uncomfortable, the are great for more confined areas and you can do any kick with them.

Also, I've found descending with long fins to be more difficult. They are so long that they litterally push upwards in front of me and I'll tend to roll backwards. I normally just roll over backwards into a horizontal position when wearing them.

I haven't tried splits, but since most of my diving is fine movement they probably wouldn't be the best tool for me.

OE2X:
PF - Fins are like golf clubs.

That's just evil. I kinda like that. :D

Xanthro or other LF guys,

How are those long fins on shore entries? Do they get a little awkward on boats? Any travel issues?

I used to think of jet fins as totally travelling back in time for no apparent reason, until I tried them with some new gear I got. -Switched from BIG-BULKY to Eclipse. And there it was, all the reasons for sticking with jets! No need to say more, as it is probably well explained through this loooong thread.

But I have to admit I don't really use Jet Fins, I use Nordic Fins (1976 mod...). From Scubapro also. And now "modernized" with some heavy duty Agir springstraps. And "DIR" they are! Don't say otherwise, or I'll have my computer tell your computer to :lam: :D

I still haven't quite managed to find the production history on the Scubapro Nordic Fin, so if anybody could fill me in it will be much appreciated.

OE2X:
PF - Fins are like golf clubs. A different fin for each condition. You should dive with a half dozen pairs with you and change them out during a dive depending on which direction the current runs. Make sure you don't put the left fin on the right foot otherwise you'll go in circles.

If you really don't want problems with current and kicking you could take an Apollo or Gaving scooter with you. Fire one of those up and hear the water gurgle around you.

This is serious? Travel with a few sets of fins? You do that? eeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooo, I lug enough crapola. I just want to use one set of fins. I think it's me, my kick, not the fin

A scooter would be a hooter. I'll bet they would not let you use one. How would you take that with you on the plane anyway?

dherbman:
Xanthro or other LF guys,

How are those long fins on shore entries? Do they get a little awkward on boats? Any travel issues?

I don't put the fins on until I'm past the break so length of fin doesn't matter to me on shore dives.

No difference on boats either, since the fins are put on right before the giant stride.

I don't find the LF hard to walk in, but it's what I started with.

They are so long they barely fit in my Akona bag, and quite frankly they've taken a good bit of wearing from limited travelling. I can see stress lines in the long fins. Some of it is caused by being bent in the bag while travelling and some by my house cleaner who set them up on their tips when they were drying in the bathroom.

It's really for travelling and confined spaces that I purchased jet fins. Gives me more room in my bag and they can take much more of a beating.

For normal reef work I actually prefer the long fins, but I also have more dives on them so it could just be I'm more comfortable with the at this point.

pilot fish:
How about reaching the back of the boat with your sun glasses on?

2:30AM night dive in a wierd location, backwards sitting entry off the gunall (name for that?). Forget to put my reg in my mouth... thankfully I did remember to properly inflate my BC :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom