Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
And jerks are everywhere, in every community, diving agency and so on.

you mean me, don't yoU!??!?

(this is the SECOND best thread ever!!)

H2Andy:

(this is the SECOND best thread ever!!)

Everybody knows that I'm the biggest Pro-DIR jerk on this board. So stop stealing my thunder.

amascuba:
Everybody knows that I'm the biggest Pro-DIR jerk on this board. So stop stealing my thunder.

Sorry guys, I think I got you beat... I was informed that when they talk about the "internet DIR jerks", they were referring to people like me. Sadly, I cannot even claim to be DIR.:(

fndmylove:
“Leaving me alone” was a general statement directed towards “non-solo” divers. To “leave me alone”, means that I don't want to be patronized by others who think I’m “doing it wrong” (thrown in for fun). I did not mean, to leave me alone as in end a relationship.

Yes, I did attempt to contact him on numerous occasions, but perhaps he was too busy with DIR folks to worry about a solo-peon such as myself.

I got the feeling that he wanted to drop all ties with me, but I can only be sure if I talk to him. Maybe I should try communicating with him again.
Hmmmm .... 0 to 24 dives and you're already solo diving?

Maybe his concern has less to do with DIR than it does the fact that, as your OW instructor he failed to impress upon you that maybe you should get a little experience before heading off underwater by yourself.

Did you get any solo training first?

Personally, I'd be a little concerned for any student of mine who decided to go solo with so little experience.

Probably has nothing to do with DIR ... he's probably worried that you'll hurt yourself and blame it on "poor instruction".

As for the rest of this thread ... haven't y'all got better things to argue about than a marketing slogan? I mean, isn't American Idol on or something ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

headhunter:
Do you really see this as "typical" where you dive? Maybe it's an east coast vs west coast thing, but I just don't see or hear about anyone wearing a backplate and wing (regardless of whether they are DIR or not) putting anyone down for using a jacket style BC. I'm not saying that most of do not believe that the backplate/wing combo is more adjustable, less expensive and better option, but I don't see anyone putting anyone down for wearing a jacket.
Christian

My phrase "typical of a lot, but not all, of DIR neophytes."

Have you not heard references to 'open water strokes' applied to divers choosing jacket bcds and non-DIR equipment? East and West?

I don't think it is life's greatest problem, but do sense an attitude of elitism. See p. 67 DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving: "In contrast to sloppy-fitting jacket-style BCs...", and "...a classic style open water BC is not only necessarily bulky and loose fitting, it also tends to force a diver's feet into a downward angle, a terrible swimming position...

The divers I dive with typically have jacket bcds; their swimming position is feet up, off the coral, and the bcds are not sloppy or loose fitting. They maintain excellent neutral buoyancy.

Adobo:
Sorry guys, I think I got you beat... I was informed that when they talk about the "internet DIR jerks", they were referring to people like me. Sadly, I cannot even claim to be DIR.:(

amascuba:

h2andy:

You three are all elitist buttheads. How dare you insinuate that my way of being a jerk is somehow less meaningful than your method of being a jerk. How dare you tink that only your way of being a jerk is recognizable. I am offended.

:eyebrow:

tonka97:
Have you not heard references to 'open water strokes' applied to divers choosing jacket bcds and non-DIR equipment? East and West?
Once or twice here on ScubaBoard, but it turned me off considerably.

Never IRL... as I said above, all of the local DIR divers I've met in person are quite polite and considerate, willing to inform if asked, but never preaching.

tonka97:
I don't think it is life's greatest problem, but do sense an attitude of elitism. See p. 67 DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving: "In contrast to sloppy-fitting jacket-style BCs...", and "...a classic style open water BC is not only necessarily bulky and loose fitting, it also tends to force a diver's feet into a downward angle, a terrible swimming position...

so saying A is better than B is elitist?

how PC is that...

let's not make any value judgments anymore ... we might offend someone and be called elitist

oh .. you know what? big deal

:wink:

tonka97:

The term 'stroke' refers to a diver with unsafe diving practices.

Bill51:
This may be way off topic, but your comment does point out something I’ve seen from the limited number of DIR divers I’ve known or even interacted with here or in real life. I finish a dive with my friends and dive buddies and everyone is talking about what they saw (or shot) on the dive with almost no discussions about the mechanics of the dive unless we specifically were doing some training. I can’t recall ever seeing DIR divers excited about what they saw on the dive, but only on what they did or how their equipment performed on the dive. It’s as though the process of the dive is the sole purpose for the dive rather than diving being a way to experience being underwater with nature. That just might be an oversimplification due to my lack of experience, but I could see how it would cause outsiders to think of DIR divers as more interested in themselves and the dive than the environment diving is allowing them to participate in.
Some of the comments in this thread just floor me ...

Went out on a boat dive with a bunch of friends yesterday ... most of 'em have some level of GUE traininig ... up through level 2 Tech and Cave classes. Some ... like my dive buddy ... have no interest in ever taking a DIR class. We had a blast, and everybody was really friendly to everybody else.

I just finished reading this e-mail from one of the DIR guys to the trip organizer ...

What amazing dives! GPO's, wolf eels and all sorts of tiny critters. Thank you for settling up the New Year's Dive. It was a good time with a terrific bunch of people. What a wonderful way to start the new year!
Gee ... he got off looking at critters and having fun ... even sharing a boat with non-DIR divers! What a revelation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom