Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
to suggest that anyone involved should "Change the name or admit you're arrogant elitists" is DEFINITELY crossing a line
You're right. I apologize. What I'm trying to get across is the inherent elitism in the "DIR" acronym itself, and the bullheaded inability of so many adherents to see that it is inherently confrontational, and controversial because it is confrontational.
I never tell another diver "you're not doing it right." Never. (well, except in jest... "that's not 'doing it right,' you know" :) with a grin) It simply isn't a polite way to help or to get a better way or idea across. The "DIR" acronym is sand in the gears of Scuba discourse.
Rick

I think PADI is confrontational, they insist on a snorkel and they won't bend their standards or teach me without one. Damn snorkel elitists.

cmalinowski:
It sounds leaving you alone is exactly what that person did and it seems that you indeed do give a crap.

“Leaving me alone” was a general statement directed towards “non-solo” divers. To “leave me alone”, means that I don't want to be patronized by others who think I’m “doing it wrong” (thrown in for fun). I did not mean, to leave me alone as in end a relationship.

cmalinowski:
Just out of curiosity, did you try and initiate any contact with him, or is it up to his elitist self to do it?

Yes, I did attempt to contact him on numerous occasions, but perhaps he was too busy with DIR folks to worry about a solo-peon such as myself.

cmalinowski:
And, if you did make up your mind, should he have begged you to move foward with DIR?

No, you are blowing my comments out of proportion. I made a simple statement about my first experience with a DIR member.

cmalinowski:
Would that have made him less elitist?

See previous response.

cmalinowski:
So if he would have begged you by arguing the pros of DIR, he would have been an elitist.

See previous previous response.

cmalinowski:
Instead, he chose to not go that route and that made him... an elitist. You people crack me up.

Chris

You really do love that word don’t you? Are you DIR (j/k, I had to)?

I got the feeling that he wanted to drop all ties with me, but I can only be sure if I talk to him. Maybe I should try communicating with him again.

Yeah, but only for open water. Then you can cast the hated snorkel off for all eternity if that's your wish.

But if you want to argue about trying to get the herd in the same configuration, take my last instance in Cozumel. I was diving with the resort operator, which teaches PADI, and I dive with a different configuration. Specifically, I move my BC further down the tank, so that the tank valves are at the back of my head. I do this for buoyancy purposes, so the weight of the tank plus my weights doesn't drag my hips down. Anyhoo, I spent 3 days keeping the deck crew/divemasters away from moving this back to the "proper" way, since all the other tourist divers were diving with standard configuration. It was with reluctance that I was allowed to go with my desired configuration.

So that was PADI-trained people. I guess the difference is, though, that I was allowed to stay different while retaining my status as a PADI-trained diver. It sounds, though, that DIR is more structured, and if you deviate then you can't remain as a DIR diver. Not saying this in a negative sense, just an observatory one. If I am wrong, someone please correct me so I don't get the wrong perceptions.

rjack321:
I think PADI is confrontational, they insist on a snorkel and they won't bend their standards or teach me without one. Damn snorkel elitists.

rjack321:

The PADI DIVE NAZIs also won't let you put your mask on your forehead. I can't stand them telling everyone else how to dive.

fndmylove:
“Leaving me alone” was a general statement directed towards “non-solo” divers. To “leave me alone”, means that I don't want to be patronized by others who think I’m “doing it wrong” (thrown in for fun). I did not mean, to leave me alone as in end a relationship.

Yes, I did attempt to contact him on numerous occasions, but perhaps he was too busy with DIR folks to worry about a solo-peon such as myself.

No, you are blowing my comments out of proportion. I made a simple statement about my first experience with a DIR member.

See previous response.

See previous previous response.

You really do love that word don’t you? Are you DIR (j/k, I had to)?

I got the feeling that he wanted to drop all ties with me, but I can only be sure if I talk to him. Maybe I should try communicating with him again.
I probably should have made it all tongue-in-cheak. It was easy fodder :) But we've all blown comments out of proportion. These threads tend to bring out the... er... "best" in people.

Maybe he wasn't interested because of your dive style. His loss if that's the way he runs his life. But, don't get someone who claims to be DIR and an instructor confused with a DIR instructor (and you didn't indicate that). Heck, he may not have even been GUE/DIR trained, but rather an instructor who picked up DIR from the net and wove it into his processes. Not saying that's the case, but...

Chris

lamont:
The PADI DIVE NAZIs also won't let you put your mask on your forehead. I can't stand them telling everyone else how to dive.

But the mask on forehead is a sign of stress and your pending death.

namabiru:
...I guess the difference is, though, that I was allowed to stay different while retaining my status as a PADI-trained diver.
Correct. Because PADI doesn't hold tank position as a standard to which you need to dive (nor does GUE for that matter). You would more than likely be praised for thinking about how to maintain better trim from the GUE crowd along with putting your valves where they are reachable for a shutdown if necessary. Those PADI people are gonna kill ya:eyebrow:
namabiru:
It sounds, though, that DIR is more structured, and if you deviate then you can't remain as a DIR diver. Not saying this in a negative sense, just an observatory one. If I am wrong, someone please correct me so I don't get the wrong perceptions.
True enough. But why would you want to be? If you don't believe in the tenets behind it, then you have no desire to be a GUE or DIR diver. If that works for you, then that's cool. There are those of us who choose to follow the tenets. That's our choice. I don't care whether you do or not.

Chris

It is apparent that this thread has gone beyond the ruiles for this forum. Name calling agency bashing, civility etc etc. I think it is time to shut it down.

cmalinowski:
But, don't get someone who claims to be DIR and an instructor confused with a DIR instructor (and you didn't indicate that). Heck, he may not have even been GUE/DIR trained, but rather an instructor who picked up DIR from the net and wove it into his processes. Not saying that's the case, but...

Chris

I won't, I'm not sure what his position is, so I won't speculate. Good points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom