Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who's mentioning these locations & dive shops :)

Just a bystander who'd like to dream of nice places to dive and there's nothing better to hear from than people who've been there.

For example, I'm damned if I'd want to be hearded onto a boat with dozens of people. It's bad enough diving to 10m/33ft with 24 other people on a Billy Sheils boat in the Farne Islands to play with seals. Sod diving with 50+ novice divers on a reef!
Big Blue, Crystal Dive, Bans.

More amenable Master Divers, Davy Jones Locker. This year I’m going to give Hydronauts Diving Resort a try.

They probably can’t find paid labor because nobody is stupid enough to work for next to free.

As a long time volunteer firefighter and EMT, I call BS. There are lots of experiwmces you can't get paid fornthat are still worth having. Not everything needs to be defined bybwhat you get paid for doing it.

In my area there are 2 local dive operations practically begging for a DM candidate because they can't find paid labor.
They can't find paid labor because they can't comptete with entry level jobs starting at $20 or more an hour.

The loss-leader training model that shops have used for decades doesn't allow for instructors and DMs to be properly compensated for their time and expertise.

It's even more of a problem these days with rising insurance rates and online sales competition.

What are they paying, and what are the hours?
It's not a paid position. Its a trade- time and labor for the DM course and all the prequisite courses that go with it. They expected the course to last 3-4 months, 4 days per week. I'd guess that in reality it doesn't take nearly that long however it gives them unpaid labor for the entire dive season. And of course it gives the DM candidate free diving.

It's not a paid position. Its a trade- time and labor for the DM course and all the prequisite courses that go with it. They expected the course to last 3-4 months, 4 days per week. I'd guess that in reality it doesn't take nearly that long however it gives them unpaid labor for the entire dive season. And of course it gives the DM candidate free diving.
How can a DM course possibly need 4+ months?

Seems that model is broken…. Free labour for someone rich enough to afford the time off from generating an income

As a long time volunteer firefighter and EMT, I call BS. There are lots of experiwmces you can't get paid fornthat are still worth having.

To equate doing a public service for your community to paying for DM training and having to work for months in a shop for free is laughable, because that's how it's done around here.

As a long time volunteer firefighter and EMT, I call BS. There are lots of experiwmces you can't get paid fornthat are still worth having. Not everything needs to be defined bybwhat you get paid for doing it.
It is if you live in a high cost of living area.
There are only so many hours in a day to make the money you need to survive.
And I’m talking about people who are completely self sufficient, not some trust fund baby that gets to do whatever they want.
And being a volunteer fire fighter and EMT is different from a for profit private business taking advantage of cheap labor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom