Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes a look of sense to be honest.
So my plan is to go to Thailand and I'm targeting dive schools that also offer tech courses so I can check directly when I'm there.
The only thing now is to see if I can afford to do both 😂 because honestly my main main goal right now is to live that lifestyle for a few months, otherwise i have to go back to "real life" and in not ready for that 😭
BigBlueTech is good on koh tao

The DM program will certainly make one a better diver because the diver will undergo additional training, and do a heck of a lot more diving, and have a better understanding of equipment and how divers think and act, especially when under pressure.

Just because a diver might not be paid, and is trading his or her time and labor for training and experience does not devalue the course.

In my area there are 2 local dive operations practically begging for a DM candidate because they can't find paid labor. So it's not always about "putting someone out of a job because you got someone to do it for nothing".

Why would someone "piss off a lot of people" by volunteering to work at a shop and dive with people?
That's my point. They want free help and the help to PAY THEM for the "privilege" of working for them. Screw that. They need to get better at running a business or just fail. Offer better working conditions and a decent wage and they'd have help.

Instead, they are looking to abuse some gullible person who has no idea of the reality of what some segments of the industry do to avoid paying a decent wage. Some sucker with dreams of exotic locations, diving all day, etc. Not the scrubbing shop toilets, rinsing gear, being expected to talk someone into buying something they don't need, and piss poor living conditions because they can't afford a decent place.

The DM program is often about more training. Training on how to help people empty their wallets by convincing them they need gear to solve skill and training issues. A good intro to tech program will teach them far more about gear, diver behavior, and how to deal with problems. It will also be more beneficial from a planning standpoint. I always thought a tech course or two would be highly beneficial before DM because it would ensure they have the dive skills a DM should have before starting the DM class.
Before someone starts DM their skills should be nailed. It's not the place to refine skills. It's where they should learn how to teach the skills they should already have.
The DM class teaches the student how to assist an instructor and anticipate the instructor's needs.
The highly abbreviated DM courses that are done in a couple of weeks are about making money for the shop offering it and, as above, getting unpaid labor.

(Any chance of some links to those operators please)

Holy crap!
That’s quite a cattle drive.
1720283050858.png

Who is the question to?
Anyone who's mentioning these locations & dive shops :)

Just a bystander who'd like to dream of nice places to dive and there's nothing better to hear from than people who've been there.

For example, I'm damned if I'd want to be hearded onto a boat with dozens of people. It's bad enough diving to 10m/33ft with 24 other people on a Billy Sheils boat in the Farne Islands to play with seals. Sod diving with 50+ novice divers on a reef!

Back
Top Bottom