Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sincerely disagree. When there are no reasons to assume a specific orientation, there is not necessarily a default position; most tech divers I know do whatever they want just for the fun of it (including me). It's a different topic, I mentioned it just because I find it unfair to give a new diver like the OP an incorrect picture of what to expect.
Why would you assume a default position in which any propulsion, forward or backwards, tends to change your depth, because that's what will happen if you aren't horizontal.

Why would you assume a default position in any which any propulsion, forward or backwards, tends to change your depth, because that's what will happen if you aren't horizontal.
For fun, to look at a wall, to look up, to relax, etc. :) and if I don't want to change depth, or I want to minimize drag/effort, or whatever other efficiency reason, I will adapt the trim to the topology, the environment, and my trajectory

I dunno, man...I like being horizontal because of the physical ease that fosters more efficient breathing.

If I want to look up vertically at a massive wall, I just roll on my side.

I'm not afraid to go vertical. In fact, on Florida drift dives, I go head down and feet up (IOW, a head stand) to see under ledges because my buoyancy control is greater. But, yeah, default postion for me is horizontal.

I dunno, man...I like being horizontal because of the physical ease that fosters more efficient breathing.

If I want to look up vertically at a massive wall, I just roll on my side.

I'm not afraid to go vertical. In fact, on Florida drift dives, I go head down and feet up (IOW, a head stand) to see under ledges because my buoyancy control is greater. But, yeah, default postion for me is horizontal.
This is actually similar to me, but the thing is that you like it, so you use it. The fact that you like it is actually a reason the way I see it, and a valuable one. In other words, you don't stay horizontal "just because", you stay horizontal because you choose it. This is a massive difference.

Hello!
I just recently fell in love with diving, like I've never liked anything in my life before, and I was thinking about getting my DM.
I know the reasons to do it change if from person to person but I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.

My position is that I quit my job to travel last year and I am not ready to go back to normal life yet. I am considering doing DM for the following reasons:
- I want to become a better diver and I want to challenge myself and learn more
- I want to spend a few months diving and volunteering at a dive shop. I do not exclude the idea of actually working in the field if I love it so much after the course, I am open and right now I don't know where life will take me
- I've got prices from a few places I've been diving at and doing the DM course is significantly cheaper (like half the cost) than just doing fun dives for the same amount of time

But apart from that, especially as it works out cheaper this way, why is everyone so against it?

Your opinion is welcome, thank you! :)
It’s a first step to instructor or go for Master Diver

Staying horizontal is NOT that critical in open water dive as long as one is NOT kicking up silt etc.
Overhead environment is another story.

But apart from that, especially as it works out cheaper this way, why is everyone so against it?

Your opinion is welcome, thank you! :)
NOT everyone is against it!
I certainly don't but don't understand why so many in SB are against the idea.
Many graduates are taking a yr or two off to see the world or doing something they really want before settling into a job.
Good luck.
BTW, just remember the cost of living is lower in Philippines than Thailand.

It’s a first step to instructor or go for Master Diver
Master Diver, as in Master Scuba Diver?

PADI marketing gimp says...:
Join the best of the best in recreational scuba diving and live the dive life as a PADI Master Scuba Diver. The Master Scuba Diver rating places you in an elite group of respected divers who have earned this rating through both significant experience and scuba training. Fewer than two percent of divers ever achieve this rating. When you flash your Master Scuba Diver card, people know that you've spent time underwater in a variety of environments and had your share of dive adventures.

Oh, that's the one where you pay PADI for another card; no additional training required beyond the OW, AOW, RD and 5 "specialities". If ever there was a pointless non-"certification" it's that one.

Sheesh…it really does say all that.

What a load of manure.

Repulsive.

DM will not make you a better diver. It is not for that as others have said.
The other consideration is have you considered how many people you will piss off volunteering to work at a shop and dive with people?
Those are jobs that people should be paid to do. You volunteering may mean the difference between a local being able to eat or not.
In some areas it will be illegal to work without a work permit or visa.
It is true that there are segments of the industry that seem to encourage taking advantage of people and using them as free labor under the false pretense of being an "internship" that is really more like indentured servitude.
Working for free or "volunteering" devalues the professional ratings that many of us worked hard for.
It is also why in some areas you can swing a dead rat and hit half a dozen dive "professionals" who have been used, abused, and are now burned out working as bartenders, wait staff, housekeepers, and selling blood and other body fluids to make rent.
Take some tech classes if you want to become a better diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom