Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last part of you message is interesting as I still struggle with wha you describe, stopping to look at something small 😂 I wouldn't know where to find GUE fundamentals and I prefer to stay with Padi for the moment though.
It's all good. As I tried to sum it up in a post a few days ago, I suggest you stick with your plans, go to Thailand, sign up for the DM course of your choice (perhaps with a little forethought in choosing the right instructor, as has been suggested), work hard, play hard, and see how it goes. If after the Thailand experience you still feel something is lacking, you can again get an earful of further advice right here.

I think all of us who have commented on your plans need to put this in perspective. It's not like this is some life-changing decision, and if you don't get it right there will be lasting negative consequences. You WILL have fun, and you WILL learn some things. As you know, going to Thailand to take the DM course is a well-trodden path. You will have opportunities in the years to come to try other paths if you feel a need. Good luck and have fun!

One of the best snow seasons of my life was spent working 60 hours a week for minimum wage , hitchhiking to work in blizzards, half way starving because I was poor, and living with 15 roommates in a 2 bedroom house. Would I do it now? Hell no, but at 18 with no responsibilities hell yeah.

If diving was my hobby then it would have been a dive resort and not a ski resort.

If you want to do it, do it. Who cares what anyone else says? You’ll be poor but it will be a lot of fun and you’ll do a lot of diving even if it’s baby sitting. It’s not like it’s a career change, it’s an extended vacation.

I have been away for a few days, and I see this thread is still going, which would be hard to believe except ... this is ScubaBoard, and we have so many really knowledgeable folks who are eager to share their knowledge and opinions. @Isa.nerwen , I'm impressed you have continued to listen. We do mean well!

As I see it, Thailand is where one goes to party on the beach while taking a course to justify why they are there for so long. I do not believe Thailand is the best place to get quality dive training that will make one a better diver. I am guessing in your previous trips you did the partying thing, and maybe you have gotten that out of your system. But you seem intent to do this training in Thailand, and so, I say "why not."

Instructors cannot help you reach a skill level that they themselves have not attained. Unless your instructor is a tech diver, they are unlikely to care much about perfecting skills such as horizontal trim and controlled ascents (ie, buoyancy). Their attitude would not be wrong; for most recreational divers, even divemasters, tech-level performance is simply not needed, so why waste time with that? As a recreational diver, you don't really need to ascend with such good control that you could stop every 3 meters and hold that depth in perfect horizontal trim if you wished to. Indeed, maintaining horizontal trim is often counterproductive on a recreational dive, such as when you're drifting along a wall and you want to take in the view up and down the wall in all its majesty.

See above! Your instructor, unless they are also a tech diver AND a bit obsessive in how they teach the DM course, may simply react with a shrug or tell you your trim is just fine, and that would be completely understandable.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Try to work with an instructor who (1) is trained in and does tech diving on a regular basis and (2) who is willing to work with you to help you attain a tech level of performance. I would not count on just any instructor teaching an Intro-to-Tech course in which enough time is spent on honing performance. The curriculum of an intro to tech-type course likely also includes the mechanics of tech diving--the kit, etc.--and that is perhaps less relevant if your goal is simply to become a better, higher-performing recreational diver.

I took a course that some might characterize as an intro to tech type course (GUE Fundamentals), with the express intent of simply becoming a better recreational diver, and I was pleased with the results. Just as one (useful, I think) example, I learned to move toward whatever small creature or coral head I wanted to gaze at and arrest my forward motion with a small back-kick when I arrived at the distance I wanted to be at, then maintain my orientation and position in the water, perhaps just inches above the bottom, without excessive finning or stirring up the bottom. While enjoying the viewing, divers with less well-honed skills will sometimes arrive to see what I am looking at and flail around, unable to do what I describe. I'm not bragging--I'm still hardly the most skilled diver out there--but I can say these are really great skills for a recreational diver to have in their tool kit.
I think you hit a lot of points right on here.
The difference I see with standard recreational training and tech training, especially when it comes to propulsion techniques, is in the tech world you see the divers always (almost always) in flat trim with feet up in the sky diver position doing anti silting modified frog kicks, back kicks, helicopter turns, pretty much all movement is done with finning. This was born out of caving and wreck diving where they need to be extremely careful not to upset everything and silt out the place, cause a disruption in a wreck by breaking something off or getting entangled, etc. This is where critical control and keen sense of situational awareness must be perfected and practiced.
In recreational diving you will see more from the hip alternate standard fin kicks and the diver would be flat with arms back and legs straight back cruising like a torpedo. This would be the standard in a perfect world (born out of skindiving). Unfortunately now days you see a lot of 45 degree bicycle kicking rototillers.
But for my thinking, to apply a full blown tech style technique to being a recreation dive master seems a little excessive. There could be a happy balance.
It is possible to learn and practice excellent in-water diving skills without needing to go through a whole tech program, but some tech oriented stuff would definitely be good.
There’s also the fact that not all recreational techniques are bad habits. For instance coming up, I don’t see anything wrong with getting vertical on ascent to be able to look up down all around to keep track of your flock. I other words, not all recreational techniques are bad habits in the recreational world, but they may be considered bad habits in the technical world. Technical protocols are much more rigid.
For DM’ing I think the bigger picture is learning cool headedness and stress control especially when it comes to all the drama that can be encountered, tourist freaks out and needs assistance, problems on the surface, boat drama, broken gear, etc.
Survival skills and rescue skills are very important assets for a DM and also good people skills. Situational awareness comes into play not just for yourself, but for your entire group. That’s a lot!
As a working DM you are it, the go to person, you need to be able to own it.
DM will make you a better diver when it comes to managing people for sure and all the skills needed to do that both in-water and out. There might be great technical divers with spot on skills but would absolutely suck and being a DM,
DM is a special skill set.
OP, I think it’s great you’re doing it!

I will definitely look into intro to tech, but you are right that for the time being I am not interested in all the stuff that comes with tech diving, nor I am experienced enough. I know that is something that in general interests me, and people say that intro to tech would be good to actually improve.

The good news about technical vs. recreational is that it isn’t choosing one or the other. Sure, advanced technical diving is enormously different from bimbling around the house reef, certainly in terms of the equipment, procedures and planning. However, the core skills work regardless of where you’re diving.

Working towards excellence in your core skills can very much sit alongside your time bimbling around the house reef leading novice and recreational divers. Great core skills simplifies everything from photography, through monitoring your charges, dealing with problems under pressure, teaching, rescuing, even learning new skills; all so much easier.

Wouldn’t it be great to have better skills than your instructors :cool:

BTW I think it’s great that you’re heading off to be a DM in Thailand. I wish I could do that!

The last part of you message is interesting as I still struggle with wha you describe, stopping to look at something small 😂

I do this all the time. Also I do not use a pointer stick. So for some of my macro photos or video I need to use my fins to hold my position. Some divers have commented how I seem to be like a humming bird, my arms and head staying still while the rest of my body floats around and me using my fins to control position. To get this photo I am head on into a a nice predator. Horizontal and letting the slight water movement move me around.

It just takes practice. The best way for you to practice this is to dive without a wetsuit as I do. Then go dive over an area with lots of fire corals. You'll soon learn where your limbs are and how to control your movements.

SCORPION YOU DON'T SEE.jpg

But for my thinking, to apply a full blown tech style technique to being a recreation dive master seems a little excessive. There could be a happy balance.

There was a thread on this here. Me n the right with a Korean lass instabuddy, and my friend Koz who just completed her IDC Course Director program last month.

JOY AND ME.jpg

KOZ.jpg

Thank you! I am currently trying to decide between Koh Lipe and Malaysia because I've been already diving there and I know the dive schools and instructors. I considered Koh Tao as I heard it's quite good and cheap, so I might think about going there and just see how it is before making a decision.
We did our DM on Koh Tao and had a great time.

1 of the things one learns doing the DM course is dealing with problems. As there are many OW courses starting there there are many problems to solve. So you learn.

But it is hard work though.

But after the course we left as soon as we could, but to come back for the instructor course there.

The professional courses are great there.

Doing the DM course is a cheap way of getting dives in, and building up knowledge.

I actually know a guy that did the course 3 times because of this

We did our DM on Koh Tao and had a great time.

1 of the things one learns doing the DM course is dealing with problems. As there are many OW courses starting there there are many problems to solve. So you learn.

But it is hard work though.

But after the course we left as soon as we could, but to come back for the instructor course there.

The professional courses are great there.

Doing the DM course is a cheap way of getting dives in, and building up knowledge.

I actually know a guy that did the course 3 times because of this
Hahaha I get that. It works out cheaper than doing just fun dives!
I'm ok with the hard work :wink:

I do this all the time. Also I do not use a pointer stick. So for some of my macro photos or video I need to use my fins to hold my position. Some divers have commented how I seem to be like a humming bird, my arms and head staying still while the rest of my body floats around and me using my fins to control position. To get this photo I am head on into a a nice predator. Horizontal and letting the slight water movement move me around.

It just takes practice. The best way for you to practice this is to dive without a wetsuit as I do. Then go dive over an area with lots of fire corals. You'll soon learn where your limbs are and how to control your movements.

View attachment 849327
I'll get there! All my divemasters I had were able to do that, just need more practice hehe

Back
Top Bottom