Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could perhaps serve as an amazing case study in marketing how the mainstream certifying organizations are able to cast an indelible impression on junior divers that the path to proficiency is the instructor route.

I'm sincerely grateful that I had a seasoned outlook about training to sense PADI was trying to nudge the bow of my ship down the wrong channel and that I was able to change course at the first opportunity.

I agree that it isn't necessary to become a technical diver to be a proficient diver. But I wholeheartedly disagree that becoming a DM is the only way.

I concur with @Lorenzoid that finding an instructor who is an active technical diver will likely imbue your advanced recreational training with a tighter focus on planning and procedures.

If you really aim to just be an occasional resort and vacation diver, then probably best to be honest with yourself and admit that durable and advanced skills aren't really the priority.

Good luck and enjoy the journey that you choose.

I've been away so haven't read all these replies. My usual take on DM is -- It improves your skills (that is the 24 or so that are taught to OW students, not your overall diving ability) in that you must be able to do them all to "demonstration level". So yes, it is not the best route if you want to become a great diver. If you want to get into the teaching end of it great, and perhaps it's simply en route to Instructor. If you get hired, PLEASE work for a salary or don't work at all (not just for tips/perks). That devalues the "Pro" title. Despite what the agencies may call it, I don't consider anyone who works without a money salary to be a "Dive Pro".

Back
Top Bottom