Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s great, but I don’t want to dive in GUE standardised kit or with standardised procedures. I did want to do something I enjoyed, and I enjoyed DM.
You wouldn't even dive with a BP/W and long-hose setup just for the course and then go back to your old rig if you wished to afterward?

The gear is only "standardized" in the sense that certain key bits of gear will be the same for all students in the course. And as I mentioned, a BP/W and long-hose reg setup are not specific to GUE; divers who trained through various other agencies, both tech divers and rec-only divers, even some who profess to dislike GUE, are using essentially the same configuration.

And although GUE teaches specific procedures, such as the step-by-step way they teach you to deploy a DSMB or share gas, I would imagine instructors with other agencies teach a specific way to do such things as well. What instructor teaches five different ways to do a task in the same class? It would confuse the student and not be an efficient use of time. For purposes of a course, I would imagine every instructor has some way they would like to see you do something, regardless of agency.

I'm getting a vibe here of some sort of (please excuse me) "standardization" paranoia, which I don't think is based on the reality of what is required of a student in a course. After the course is over, you can dive in any gear you want, in any way you want, with whomever you want, and yet your improved skills will stay with you if you continue to practice them. But nevermind GUE and Fundies--the larger point I was trying to make was that similar instruction can be found through instructors with other agencies as well.

I can't argue with, and in fact completely agree with, the desire to do something "enjoyable," and I'm sure the DM course can be enjoyable. So can other courses. My wife and I, who had hardly heard of tech diving at the time, both had a blast in Fundies. It was challenging, yet a lot of fun. Nevertheless, one thing that these intro-to-tech type courses do not attempt to do is to teach how to lead and look after other divers, and if that is the gist of what makes the DM course enjoyable to someone, then the DM course seems like an excellent route.

Also, not that it’s the be all and end all, but Fundies costs £799 in the U.K. (approx) plus kit rental and included four dives. DM cost £920 and I got around 20 dives for that, plus the opportunity to DM for my LDS and defray the cost of diving in the future.
Just a guess, but could the "four dives" reflect the cost of a boat or admission to a quarry dive site? In Fundies a student will do many more dives than four. My guess would be that in the particular class you looked into, four of the many dives involve some extra cost. My Fundies class did not involve a boat; we did it all in the Florida springs. There was one spring that charged a significant admission fee, though. I'm sure costs can differ depending on where one takes the course.

But another point that is beyond argument is that a student will do more dives in the DM course than in the Fundies course or other intro-to-tech type course. I have heard divers remark that they saw the DM course as a way to get in a lot of dives for a low per-dive cost. I considered it myself at one time for that reason.

Hello!
I just recently fell in love with diving, like I've never liked anything in my life before, and I was thinking about getting my DM.
I know the reasons to do it change if from person to person but I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.

My position is that I quit my job to travel last year and I am not ready to go back to normal life yet. I am considering doing DM for the following reasons:
- I want to become a better diver and I want to challenge myself and learn more
- I want to spend a few months diving and volunteering at a dive shop. I do not exclude the idea of actually working in the field if I love it so much after the course, I am open and right now I don't know where life will take me
- I've got prices from a few places I've been diving at and doing the DM course is significantly cheaper (like half the cost) than just doing fun dives for the same amount of time

But apart from that, especially as it works out cheaper this way, why is everyone so against it?

Your opinion is welcome, thank you! :)
I agree with many of the folks here. Dive master course is about leading trips, not skill development. If you are serious about being a dive master, it is Best to do your dive master course where you plan to lead trips. A divemaster course may help you become a better diver because you do a fair amount of dives to familiarize yourself with the places you are leading trips. Also in places like Utila and in areas of Thailand, Dive Master courses are cheap you are with a lot of nice folks having fun in a tropical location.. If you want skill development, I would look more towards tech diving or even Master diver to begin with. A GUE course would be a starter in tech diving but you are dealing with a lot of $$ on equipment.

I agree with many of the folks here. Dive master course is about leading trips, not skill development. If you are serious about being a dive master, it is Best to do your dive master course where you plan to lead trips. A divemaster course may help you become a better diver because you do a fair amount of dives to familiarize yourself with the places you are leading trips. Also in places like Utila and in areas of Thailand, Dive Master courses are cheap you are with a lot of nice folks having fun in a tropical location.. If you want skill development, I would look more towards tech diving or even Master diver to begin with. A GUE course would be a starter in tech diving but you are dealing with a lot of $$ on equipment.
Agree. As well if you intend to assist with courses doing DM at that shop is a big plus.

I can safely say it MASSIVELY improved my diving skills and I don't understand people that say it doesn't.

That's great!

Now that you’ve developed some proficiency, you’re all set to be the face of a charter with a deck full of tourists and seasoned divers. I bet the tips are just going to roll in like pennies from Heaven.

Did you ever buy your first set of fins? I know the color pink was an important selection criteria.

I was just thinking to update this thread as I am now close to finish my DM, after 1 and half month. I can safely say it MASSIVELY improved my diving skills and I don't understand people that say it doesn't.
My buoyancy, my trip, my kicking are so much better. I'd say the skills is the last thing as it's the thing I've done the least 😂 I will have to work on them before being certified, but it definitely made me become a better diver.
The route someone takes to further their knowledge and skills is entirely up to the individual. Well done on making your choice. Just because it doesn’t fit with others training model doesn’t make it wrong.

Some forget we do this activity because it’s fun. Now go and enjoy your diving.

When you eventually return to the U.K. look up a BSAC club to go diving with in British waters.

Seems we've dropped into the rec vs. tec hole.

Tech diving isn't always doing 4 hour 90m/300ft dives. I technical dive off of a cattle boat in the Caribbean for the same depth and dive time as all the others. I just happen to use a backplate & wing with long(ish) hose and backup, correct weighting, plus dive in flat trim and can back fin against the current whilst enjoying the flora and fauna.

Both rec & tec have a lot in common; excellence in core skills (buoyancy, trim, finning) plus that awareness of things happening around you. Excellence is learned in the early phase of technical diving as it's utterly essential for doing challenging dives, recovering from problems, or even just holding deco stops for hours on end.

Doing a GUE Fundamentals course is superb value for money in the long run. It sets the bar to a much higher level that you'd ever aim to attain when diving with people with just adequate skills. If you think Fundies is over when the course finishes, think again. You've months ahead of you to practice and perfect those skills.

Tech diving isn't always doing a 4 hour 90m/300ft dives. I technical dive off of a cattle boat in the Caribbean for the same depth and dive time as all the others. I just happen to use a backplate & wing with long(ish) hose and backup, correct weighting, plus dive in flat trim and can back fin against the current whilst enjoying the flora and fauna.
I just hope your wry comment is understood as such. Stated more boringly, "a backplate & wing with long(ish) hose and backup" is considered by an increasing number of divers to be perfectly normal recreational dive gear. And Fundies can be taken as a recreational course, for the recreational diver.

Hello!
I just recently fell in love with diving, like I've never liked anything in my life before, and I was thinking about getting my DM.
I know the reasons to do it change if from person to person but I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.

My position is that I quit my job to travel last year and I am not ready to go back to normal life yet. I am considering doing DM for the following reasons:
- I want to become a better diver and I want to challenge myself and learn more
- I want to spend a few months diving and volunteering at a dive shop. I do not exclude the idea of actually working in the field if I love it so much after the course, I am open and right now I don't know where life will take me
- I've got prices from a few places I've been diving at and doing the DM course is significantly cheaper (like half the cost) than just doing fun dives for the same amount of time

But apart from that, especially as it works out cheaper this way, why is everyone so against it?

Your opinion is welcome, thank you! :)
Go for it. I have met several divers that have taken a career break to do DM.

I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.
They say that because it's not a "skills" driven course. It's a course on how to guide dives and be responsible for customers, etc. and most people aren't going to go pro. If you want to take it so you get in the water more, that's different and not typical. For most people it's not "worth it". Also, be careful at a shop around pro divers and your willingness ot do the job as a "volunteer". They could see you as decreasing their value and not appreciate it very much. Just some insight.....have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom