Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a further comparison, and because I’ve just been reading about them - BSAC Advanced Diver and First Class Diver are really comprehensive diving certifications, but much more focused on non-diving skills such as leading trips and managing dive groups, driving boats etc.

As a further comparison, and because I’ve just been reading about them - BSAC Advanced Diver and First Class Diver are really comprehensive diving certifications, but much more focused on non-diving skills such as leading trips and managing dive groups, driving boats etc.
The BSAC model has always sounded appealing to me. You can get mentoring in a club. If you want to learn to lead dives (or even lead trips and manage groups, as you point out), there is that opportunity. I suppose the downside is finding the right club.

What was the rest of the "work" like? Long days as part of the team?

Was the training explicit, or more like continual mentoring?

Do you lead dives with customers?

Only curious as to what's involved with the course.
It really depends a lot on your dive shop.
I'm on Koh Tao, which is a massive dive factory, there are always between 12-18 DMTs at my shop.
We dive 6 days a week and it's divided between assisting courses and leading other DMs to practice navigation/leading. When you are towards the end you will be leading clients during the courses (with the instructor). Then you have some workshop (navigation, leading, skills, etc).

I have 3 main instructors but I found a mentor in another instructor and it's been super helpful to have one.

We do need to help on the boat, help with clients between dives and tidy up etc, but it's very chill.

If you end up in a smaller shop it might be a very different experience!

Also, not that it’s the be all and end all, but Fundies costs £799 in the U.K. (approx) plus kit rental and included four dives. DM cost £920 and I got around 20 dives for that, plus the opportunity to DM for my LDS and defray the cost of diving in the future.
Wait, what do you mean you got 20 dives for the DM course?

Not to mention, that one should more or less already have those skills refined before commencing the Divemaster course...the fact that one could take the course to become a Divemaster and have loads of improvement to make is not a testament to how much the the OP gained but more a general lack of standards for becoming a profesional in the dive industry.

Perhaps the amount the OP improved is directly related to their general lack of experience before taking the course. Quoted from post #1 of this discussion thread:

#sigh
#zero-to-hero
#SMH
#sigh

-Z
Yes, but a intro to tech course costs a lot of money and it's only a few days, while the DM is a little more and a lot more diving.
Obviously, I did improve because I got to dive a lot on top of having workshops, and while I also agree that standards should be higher to start the course, they are not and I will take advantage of it.
Finally, stop the sighing and zero to hero ********, it's very condescending and quite annoying.

Wait, what do you mean you got 20 dives for the DM course?
Oh, as in that was how many dives (actually 18) I took to get all the training objectives signed off. But actually that was only open water dives-I probably had about 12 pool dives as well

Let me be honest here. You are a noob and you don't have a ton of experience but I commend you for following the path you think is best. Most of the people who sh!t on being a DM are people who haven't gone through what you've gone through.

Being a DM isn't the end all, but there are things that you learn as a DM candidate and a DM that some folks will never learn.

I followed a path much like yours (I was a DM candidate with something like 40 dives IIRC) and things worked out. If I could go back and do it all again, I might not choose the same path - in a few years you may agree - but don't let the a$$hats here demoralize you.

The biggest thing I look for in a dive professional is a love of diving and and a desire to improve. You seem to have both. Hang in there!

I'd like to add here that this thread has gone really toxic, and I think if @Isa.nerwen was a guy, she wouldn't be getting treated like this. . .

Some of my female friends have shared their stories with me, and I, as a grumpy old white male conservative American, want to say that it's not cool to **** (harder) on the ladies then we sh!t on each other, guys. Not cool at all. . .

@Isa.nerwen if you want to come to the states, your next course is on me. Hang in there.

My personal view:
If you like to instruct and/or guide people go for it.
As a recreational instructor you will learn to execute all skilla perfectly. You will have lots of dives, but probably more easy ones with beginners. Its different from diving on your own.

To actually make money and a living from it, you first have to put work and money in, then you need to work quiet a lot of diving courses. But you have the freedom, lots of diving and people, different destinations, working in nature and so on. Depends on your life goals.

The other option of getting better in diving would be to pursue technical courses, find a technical dive buddy, with whom you practice frequently. In that case it woulf stay a hobby.

I think turning a hobby into a profession is difficult as the views, engagement and also dependence on it changes.

Third option would be to find a job that.combines both like marine research.

Back
Top Bottom