Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you will be able to sell the BP/W for a higher resale than the jacket
If they're the "perfect" solution why would he ever need to?
The plate will never wear out (there's nothing to wear out).

Bob,

We all get older, those valves just get further away. Again, I was just responding to the OP's question of: "2) in what kind of diving Jacket works better, why?" . I await his questions concerning regulator hose length for open water. :D

@Richard: You lost me when you start comparing your scuba rig with a service for your car. That is imho ridiculous.

The point of my analogy is that the price of having choice/customizability is having to make decisions, which can be very off-putting to people who just want to buy a product and go.

What BP/W product is most 'off the shelf' equivalent to a traditional brand name weight-integrated BCD with pockets?

Richard.

Hi there folks!

I am doing some product reviews and am considering writing an article of buoyancy devices. Please read and comment! My purpose is not to bash Jackets or praise any kind of equipment. I simply seek deeper understanding and well-grounded, reasonable and justified opinions. I have had my bit of diving few years in jackets, then BP/W in doubles, then a lot of bpw single tank diving while teaching and now sidemount for few years. I am an experienced diver and instructor and I do know the equipment. I do know that jackets are not bad and one can dive them properly and comfortably. However in my opinion the BP/W setup is superior in every aspect. The major manufacturers still develop and sell huge amounts of Jacket BC's so there must be something to it right?

1) What features are better in Jacket BC's than in BP/W

2) in what kind of diving Jacket works better, why?

3) How would one experienced and familiar with both styles end up buying&recommending a jacket. What arguments and reasons lead to the decision?

The primary reason, have heard it right here, that a buoyancy commentator is life support. The industry acceptance of and the promotion of the buoyancy compensator as a life jacket so that non swimmers can dive safely, like arm floaties on kids in kiddie pools, is the primary reason and it is ubiquitous.

The BC is not a life jacket, is not a substitute for strong swimming skills and water confidence and is not life support and is not a certified USCG rated life preserver.

That said, wing/BP, especially when (the diver and equipment) configured, trimmed and weighted improperly, will mash the face down into the water when inflated, which I assure you is most disconcerting to the typical, overweight, out of shape, elderly 50 something non swimmer SCUBA diver of today.

N

.....Four Large D-Rings on the Shoulders, Two D-Rings on the Shoulder Adjustment Strap Ends, one on each side, Two D-Rings on Sternum Strap, one on each end, Six D-Rings on Padded Back Pack, three on each side, Two D-Rings on Waist Strap, one on each side and a Two D-Rings on the 2" (5.1 cm) Crotch Strap.

:confused:

Makes the TransPlate harness seem "minimalist"....

SP Engineer: Ok, boss, here's our new X-Tek rig...we think we've managed to hybridize a Zeagle Ranger and one of our freakish Priced Like Halcyon BP&Ws pretty perfectly.

SP Supervisor: I can still see a few spots of bare fabric without some kind of metal ring on it. Get back in the shop and try it again!

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 04:31 PM ----------

What BP/W product is most 'off the shelf' equivalent to a traditional brand name weight-integrated BCD with pockets?

Halcyon's complete single tank offerings with the optional weighted side pocket and ABC installed. They're not cheap, but that's the premium you pay for having someone else do the thinking and assembly for you.

Halcyon's complete single tank offerings with the optional weighted side pocket and ABC installed. They're not cheap, but that's the premium you pay for having someone else do the thinking and assembly for you.
The times they are a-changin.
"Optional"! Back into good old day, there was only one choice!!
Money talk.

This is probably the worst item scubapro ever sell. In fact, it is the worst BC I have ever dived with ever. It combine the worst aspect of jacket and the worst aspect of BP/W together. There are way too many "bad" on this that I don't bother to type it out. Totally ridiculous.
So you have actually used one of these?
Tell us about it please, and don't hold back.
Don't worry Scubapro can't sick their blood thirsty attorneys on you, it's only opinion.
And remember, opinions are like A-holes, everybody's got one.

Well it is intuitively obvious that BCDs are infinitely better than those BP/W thingys because "I" have BCD for sale...

EOD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom