Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Transpac's are pretty tacticool...

That's why I bought my Ranger - even the name is tacticool...:D

I may have to start using that word more...

I'd agree Transpacs are tacticool, it also reminds me I've been wanting to order the harness!

That purchase will be based entirely on "it looks cool" I don't really think there's anything wrong with that provided we are honest and upfront about why we are buying a piece of kit.

I've not dove a BP/W. I use a Sherwood Avid BCD. While it may not directly address the original questions, perhaps my perspective may be of small service. I have not yet attempted to move to a BP/W for a number of reasons.

1.) I trained in, knew how to use and own a jacket BCD.

2.) To choose it, I stood in a dive shop discussing BCD choice with the owner, tried it on, and ordered the 2x size from him. One decision; Sherwood Avid vs. other brands of very similar product.

3.) It works for what I do (rec., no tech., diving, mostly tropical Caribbean diving).

4.) I usually don't wear a wetsuit and don't dive doubles.

5.) I love weight-integration; I'm shaped like a bowling pin and spun like a top with a weight belt in an OW class dive. No more!!!

6.) I cram an SMB in one pocket, and a spare mask (when solo diving) in the other.

I'm not a technically minded person. I strongly dislike being confronted with a range of confusing decisions, and the anxiety of having to commit and the risk of making a wrong choice. If I'd walked into that LDS and discussed BP/W, it might've sounded more like this...

1.) Do you want a steel backplate or aluminum? There are different brands.

2.) Do you want that plate padded or bare?

3.) What wing you want with that? There are different brands. Do you want single or dual bladder?

4.) What about webbing? Oh, you don't know what that is? It's these straps that come across you to hold it on you. Do you want some sort of comfort straps?

5.) What's that? Oh, a crotch strap, of course. What, you don't like a strap wrapped through your crotch? Well, sorry about that...you'll get used to it.

6.) What do you want integrated weights for? You won't need as much weight as with a jacket, and can wear a weight belt. Oh, you hate weight belts. Yeah, you can buy some weight pockets. What brand?

7.) What do you want pockets for? You don't need all that fluff. Oh, your spare mask and you don't want your SMB flopping around. Yeah, okay. Do you want pockets on your webbing, or glued onto your wetsuit? Don't wear a wetsuit much? Okay, what brand of pockets? What size?

8.) Okay, we need to get this stuff on you so we can customize the webbing to fit you well.

To put this in perspective, when I take my car to Walmart for routine servicing, I want them to 'just fix it,' charge me the 30 something bucks & let me go. I get mad when the service guy insists on discussing the different oil product options and resists just recommending one. Any attempt to discuss auto mechanics with me is apt to earn a hostile glare.

Now, I get that there are substantial advantages to a BP/W, especially for some types of diving. But to get me in a BP/W, 1st you have to earn my trust in your knowledge and understanding of and loyalty to me, sell me that it'd be worth several hundred dollars for diving like I do in Bonaire, make most of the decisions for me, understand that I probably won't lift a finger to customize it myself later, choose all the brands for me, make it fit on me, make it simple to use and the one decision I might participate in would be aluminum or steel backplate.

Or, I could just keep diving the Sherwood Avid BCD, which seems to work fine for the diving I do.

Richard.

I'd agree Transpacs are tacticool, it also reminds me I've been wanting to order the harness!

That purchase will be based entirely on "it looks cool" I don't really think there's anything wrong with that provided we are honest and upfront about why we are buying a piece of kit.
Agreed, if I had seen one before I bought my Ranger I'd be diving one now. If the Ranger ever breaks I possibly will be. So far that doesn't seem too likely.

Look at this baby!

Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Complete System, Double Tank Setup at LeisurePro

I wonder who they are marketing that to?
At $919 LP price I guess it's cheaper than a penis enlargement :)
Why not just get a regular BP/W nothing fancy for half the price, which BTW will actually work for doubles.

And $779 for a SP Classic poodle jacket? are you sh_tting me!!!

I was curious to see what these things go for these days since I've been out of the poodle loop for quite a while.
When I saw those prices I almost crapped my pants! And those are Leisure Pro prices, I can't wait to see what an "authorized" dealer sells them for.
No wonder dive shops love to sell poodle jackets and they are so heavily promoted.

Back to Mike Nelson straps on a tank for me.

In the same way the 'big H' is over priced, because it's 'tacticool'.
Agree on the 1st part but definitely NO on the last part.

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 03:29 PM ----------

Look at this baby!

Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Complete System, Double Tank Setup at LeisurePro

I wonder who they are marketing that to?
At $919 LP price I guess it's cheaper than a penis enlargement :)
Why not just get a regular BP/W nothing fancy for half the price, which BTW will actually work for doubles.
A complete DR set(single) is only US$299.00 at DGX.
A complete DR set(twin) is also $299.00 at DGX.
SS plate is $55.00 extra.
So for around US$650.00 I can have TWO complete set of BP/W.
The $250.00 that I have save I can add a Hollis DG03 or Two Uwatec BT.

I was curious to see what these things go for these days since I've been out of the poodle loop for quite a while.
When I saw those prices I almost crapped my pants! And those are Leisure Pro prices, I can't wait to see what an "authorized" dealer sells them for.
No wonder dive shops love to sell poodle jackets and they are so heavily promoted.
LeisurePro is an authorized Scubapro dealer now. Oceanic and Zeagle also.

Capture.jpg

About the only major mfr. they still aren't is Aqualung. Explains why all the Suunto's are $100-200 cheaper thru them still.

Hey Bob, I'm back in the USA for the start of college for the youngest daughter-- eh, they all grow up... 104 degrees here in drought afflicted Central Texas. Ack!!

Now, you are a pro, you can pretty much use anything well and correctly. But, and you don't have to tell anyone publicly about this, try floating around in each unit (the Classic and a BP/W), and compare. Also, where did you learn sidemount, and what type of open water diving gets you to use it? In the Maya, we see a lot of gringos using that rig recreationally in the shallow cenotes; but not much use for exploration due to staging needs.

Oh, I'll readily admit that different configurations offer different benefits and drawbacks under certain situations. Stands to reason, due to the inherent differences in the gear. But they're usually not as dramatic as some people claim, and usually some experience and technique refinement can overcome those drawbacks. I've found that to be generally the case with different types of equipment I've tried over the years.

I learned sidemount in the Florida caves, and dive sidemount exclusively for cave diving now. Full disclosure ... it's more out of necessity than preference. Wear/tear and age have made it too difficult for me to manage valve drills in back-mount doubles anymore ... and if you can't manipulate your valves easily you don't belong in back-mount doubles. So, being unwilling to give up the type of diving that requires that much gas quite yet, I chose an alternative method. That said, I use my side-mount rig in all sorts of open water situations, from easy solo dives to more aggressive dives that may or may not end up putting me into deco. I'll be heading off to the Red Sea in a few weeks, and taking my sidemount rig with me ... partly because I anticipate wanting to do a couple solo dives while I'm there, and possibly some deep dives as well. But most of my dives will be simple recreational dives, which won't require that gear, but won't impose limits on it either. Granted the side-mount rig doesn't accommodate a comfortable surface wait ... and an extended wait can be a PITA ... but all gear comes with drawbacks as well as advantages, and how that affects each of us depends on both technique and personal preference.

That's why I try hard not to tell any of my students that one set of equipment or another is "best" for them ... instead I'll tell them what I know about the benefits and drawbacks of each and let them decide what's better for themselves ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 05:00 AM ----------

Question? When you are on a sinking boat, do they hand you a life vest or a metal plate with a wing?
Is that a trick question? Seems rather irrelevant since the purpose of a BCD and a life jacket are rather different ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 05:05 AM ----------

Yeah... good luck with that... :D

It's easy enough on my rig to adjust it back to the original configuration ... there's wear marks where the webbing hits the hardware. Takes about two minutes to put it back where I had it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom