Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Oh wait, that's right, most jackets are single walled and you can't do that, silly me."

Knighthawk has 1000 denier outer bladder & a 420 denier nylon inner.........

Last edited:
Hi there folks!

I am doing some product reviews and am considering writing an article of buoyancy devices. Please read and comment! My purpose is not to bash Jackets or praise any kind of equipment. I simply seek deeper understanding and well-grounded, reasonable and justified opinions. I have had my bit of diving few years in jackets, then BP/W in doubles, then a lot of bpw single tank diving while teaching and now sidemount for few years. I am an experienced diver and instructor and I do know the equipment. I do know that jackets are not bad and one can dive them properly and comfortably. However in my opinion the BP/W setup is superior in every aspect. The major manufacturers still develop and sell huge amounts of Jacket BC's so there must be something to it right?

1) What features are better in Jacket BC's than in BP/W

2) in what kind of diving Jacket works better, why?

3) How would one experienced and familiar with both styles end up buying&recommending a jacket. What arguments and reasons lead to the decision?

1:
- I personally prefer having pockets. I pick up rubbish during dives, when there are any.
- Easy-remove clips, but then BP/W can have those too

2:
Travelling, because they are lightweight

3:
The lightweight, foldable ones, with integrated weight pockets, make for a solid proposition for the travelling diver.

1:
- I personally prefer having pockets. I pick up rubbish during dives, when there are any.
- Easy-remove clips, but then BP/W can have those too

2:
Travelling, because they are lightweight

3:
The lightweight, foldable ones, with integrated weight pockets, make for a solid proposition for the travelling diver.

An aluminium backplate weighs 0.7 kg. The bladder weighs about the same or less, then add a bit of webbing and a few D-rings and we're coming in at 2.5 kg at the most, which is the same weight as, for example, as the Cressi Air Travel BDC. It is light, yet still robust and well fitting, and packs down easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom