Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 09:21 PM ----------

Depends on whether you're planning to dive singles or doubles ... and with or without a scooter ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Until recently, I was diving doubles out of the passenger seat of a Volvo P1800. I suppose I could fit a scooter in the rear jump-seat. What kind of scooter should I get?

Last edited:
Lack of inherent buoyancy. Location of 2-6lbs of weight directly over your lungs. Smaller/flatter system for travel. Optimal attachment points for things like slung ponys, backup lights, drysuit inflation systems, and can lights. STAs with integrated weights for those who need more lead. Etc. ad nauseam.
Also BP/W has the option to replace just webbing, or just the wing, etc.
If you get a leak in a wing you can swap it out with a back up wing (if you have one) and go diving.
You can move d-rings around, add more, or eliminate them. You can move the waist buckle around to any side and make it right or left release.
The metal portion will never wear out.
You can use the plate with no wing (old school) if you want.
None of this can be done with a jacket

You should build one yourself. From parts.

I bought a car that I let the manufacturer/dealer put together for me with the options I selected. When I picked it up from the dealer, it had the options I wanted and didn't have the options I didn't want.

I've learned two lessons from this thread.

1) For some very good reasons, there are people who prefer a BP/W over a jacket BCD.

2) For some very good reasons, there are people who prefer a jacket BCD over a BP/W.

Last edited:
I've learned two lessons from this thread.

1) For some very good reasons, there are people who prefer a BP/W over a Jacket.

2) For some very good reasons, there are people who prefer a Jacket over a BP/W.

Fixed it for the pedants out there (me included).......but I honestly haven't seen #2 shown yet.

I will say that typical jacket BCDs have some absurdulously high markups on jackets.....THAT is why they push them. Mfgs also give dive shops huge discounts on "rental" jackets, so that they can teach and rent and promote jacket BCDs. People get it stuck in their head that they're better because that's what their instructor said. Some people have no reason to deviate from it....but there's no reason I have seen yet to choose jacket over BPW.

If I owned a dive op, I'd have a fleet full of Hollis Rides or Zeagle ETDs. Truly one-size-fits-all, simple, reliable, nothing for divers to tear up. The reason shops don't do it is because they're incentivized to do otherwise.

Also BP/W has the option to replace just webbing, or just the wing, etc.
If you get a leak in a wing you can swap it out with a back up wing (if you have one) and go diving.
You can move d-rings around, add more, or eliminate them. You can move the waist buckle around to any side and make it right or left release.
The metal portion will never wear out.
You can use the plate with no wing (old school) if you want.
None of this can be done with a jacket

My Nighthawk BCD has enough features that I don't need to customize it. It adapts to any environment I dive in. While you're busy customizing your BP/W I'll be diving. See ya!

Yeah!? Well, my Nighthawk BCD can still beat up your BP/W.
Yes, and the KnightHawk comes w/ a lifetime warranty!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom