Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! beaverdivers! You jumped on my response quickly. It was a take-off on the bumper sticker phrase "My <substitute your favorite person/pet here> can beat up your honor student". I changed it because it wouldn't resonate with our international friends.

My Nighthawk BCD has enough features that I don't need to customize it. It adapts to any environment I dive in. While you're busy customizing your BP/W I'll be diving. See ya!

"Customization" can include minimizing unwanted features that one might perceive as getting in the way or otherwise being undesirable.

(Yes, I know you limited your statement to the environments YOU dive in. Just drawing a generalization.)

Everyone has different skill levels and does different types of diving. Each device has it's purpose depending on the user.

Standalone engine managment is awesome, it can me used for a bone stock car to a "the only thing stock is the frame" car. The stock ecu or a reflash or chip might be all that some people need for their desired activity.

Most people with a BCD have no intention of hanging lights or SMBs off of them and many with a BP/W want to have what they want on it and nothing else. Different strokes for different folks...

I can hang all kinds of stuff off my BCD. SMB included, plus shears, trilobite, whistle. In the pockets a mirror and strobe with room for other goodies should something be found on the bottom.

Tell us about that. I have a knight hawk BC that has failed...
Is the problem in the wing or air cell part? Does the air cell have a way to access it like a zipper so you can throw a patch on the bladder (DIY) and go diving?
Oh wait, that's right, most jackets are single walled and you can't do that, silly me.

Is the problem in the wing or air cell part? Does the air cell have a way to access it like a zipper so you can throw a patch on the bladder (DIY) and go diving?
Oh wait, that's right, most jackets are single walled and you can't do that, silly me.

you are silly! I have patched the air cell quite effectively with a piece of nylon material and some shoe goo. Actually it is probably easier than patching the bladder of a wing, but the wing will look better because you can't see the patch or easily inspect it for longevity...like you can on a BC.. :coffee:

Last edited:
You sir are worse than Charles Manson :wink:

Well, that depends on what cut of meat he's calling "steak."

you are silly! I have patched the air cell quite effectively with a piece of nylon material and some shoe goo. Actually it is probably easier than patching the bladder of a wing, but the wing will look better because you can't see the patch or easily inspect it for longevity...like you can on a BC.. :coffee:
Easier? I doubt it.
I got a pinch flat once on a bladder. I unzipped the wing and found it, wiped the area with a little acetone to clean it, cut a self adhesive patch compatible with urethane available at any West Marine store, pressed the patch on with firm pressure, zipped up the wing and was done in less than 5 minutes, ready to dive. That was 5 years ago and it has worked perfectly enough that I forget it was ever done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom