Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago I was assigned to do a swimming pool refresher course for someone with well over 100 dives. She was about to take her annual dve vacation. She had all her own gear, and it was high end. It included a hose-connected AI computer. As she turned on her air, she noted that her computer had read the contents of the tank and determined it was EANx 32. When I told her that her tank had air, and the computer was just reading the nitrox setting she had put in previously, she refused to believe it. She insisted her air integrated computer always analyzed the contents of her tank. I told her the dive shop did not have the ability to make nitrox, and she finally believed me.

I remember when you posted this story a while back, and it's one of my favorites. Perfect combination of humor and cautionary tale (because no doubt there are plenty of divers like this among us.)

Like the old Sunnto in which the user cannot readily change from air mode to nitrox mode or vice versa. The only solution was to set air dive to nitrox 21.

Current Suuntos (and probably old also):

Can be switched from air mode to nitrox after a dive

Cannot be switched from nitrox to air after a dive (must wait 24 hours for the dive "series" to reset)

And you're correct: when I do first dive nitrox, second dive air I simply set the nitrox to 21%. In fact, sometimes I leave my D4 or D6 in nitrox mode for months and simply set the percentage to 21 for an air dive. It reminds me to always check the percentage, and it includes the percentage in the display (only does this when in nitrox mode.)

There's no way it could have been staten island. except for being the anus of the 5 boroughs, there is no way it is a significant bracket for our beautiful country.

To give credit where it's due... Staten Island does offer a unique minor league ballpark experience. With the Manhattan skyline behind the centerfield fence, it's the only ballpark in the country where you have a view of the Statue of Liberty during the national anthem. Makes a viable candidate for one bracket of the country.

Current Suuntos (and probably old also):

Can be switched from air mode to nitrox after a dive

Cannot be switched from nitrox to air after a dive (must wait 24 hours for the dive "series" to reset)

And you're correct: when I do first dive nitrox, second dive air I simply set the nitrox to 21%. In fact, sometimes I leave my D4 or D6 in nitrox mode for months and simply set the percentage to 21 for an air dive. It reminds me to always check the percentage, and it includes the percentage in the display (only does this when in nitrox mode.)
I can change it during a dive with Shearwater Teric.

I can change it during a dive with Shearwater Teric.

Yes... yes you can. My D6 can change mixes during the dive also. Difficult as it might be to believe, I've never had occasion to use that functionality. (And the ability to switch mixes during a dive with my D6 is a separate issue from being able to switch from "nitrox mode" back to "air mode" after a dive.)

I will continue to use my Suuntos until they no longer provide me with the function I require (although that hasn't happened since I started with them over a decade ago.) I've seen many people post on SB about how my Suuntos don't work properly for me, but I can only assume that either they know more about me and my diving than I do, or there has been some kind of misunderstanding.

And I freely admit that other dive computers are also good for the people that choose to use them.

To give credit where it's due... Staten Island does offer a unique minor league ballpark experience. With the Manhattan skyline behind the centerfield fence, it's the only ballpark in the country where you have a view of the Statue of Liberty during the national anthem. Makes a viable candidate for one bracket of the country.

True. So there's that.

:rofl3: Roll in to the ER with a Double Double in one hand, animal-style fries in the other.

And when it comes right down to it:

Hospital food, or;

Rocken Java?

I think at International Hospital it was included.

And when it comes right down to it:

Hospital food, or;

Rocken Java?

I think at International Hospital it was included.
Ha! I got Kinta and Pie de Carbon at Medica San Miguel!

349 posts to this silly thread. You beat these two...

upload_2021-6-7_22-33-28.png

Back
Top Bottom