Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! I got Kinta and Pie de Carbon at Medica San Miguel!

Well that's pretty good too. BUT was in included with your stay or an additional charge? Susan basically got Blue Cross to pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner at Rocken Java. That's kinda awesome.

68644729.jpg

349 posts to this silly thread. You beat these two...

View attachment 664035

I believe many of us like Cozumel because it feels just foreign enough to feed our yearning for the exotic yet doesn't feel totally alien--not REALLY a foreign country, not TOO far from home. And then we complain when something about it strikes us as TOO foreign. This conundrum provides never-ending fodder for this forum.

Well that's pretty good too. BUT was in included with your stay or an additional charge? Susan basically got Blue Cross to pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner at Rocken Java. That's kinda awesome.

View attachment 664081
All went on the bill that whatever insurance we had at the time reimbursed us for after months of debate! They asked what restaurant I wanted to deliver each day! Not too shabby!

I believe many of us like Cozumel because it feels just foreign enough to feed our yearning for the exotic yet doesn't feel totally alien--not REALLY a foreign country, not TOO far from home. And then we complain when something about it strikes us as TOO foreign. This conundrum provides never-ending fodder for this forum.
A man my mom knew once remarked that Cozumel would be a great place if it weren't for all the Mexicans there, and he was not joking. Whenever he went to Cozumel he always ate at KFC, Domino's, McDonald's, etc. It made me wonder why he bothered to go there.

A man my mom knew once remarked that Cozumel would be a great place if it weren't for all the Mexicans there, and he was not joking. Whenever he went to Cozumel he always ate at KFC, Domino's, McDonald's, etc. It made me wonder why he bothered to go there.

Your comment reminded me of this article from The Onion that is over 20 years old.

Current Suuntos (and probably old also):

Can be switched from air mode to nitrox after a dive

Cannot be switched from nitrox to air after a dive (must wait 24 hours for the dive "series" to reset)

And you're correct: when I do first dive nitrox, second dive air I simply set the nitrox to 21%. In fact, sometimes I leave my D4 or D6 in nitrox mode for months and simply set the percentage to 21 for an air dive. It reminds me to always check the percentage, and it includes the percentage in the display (only does this when in nitrox mode.)

A dive ops in Grand Cayman told me setting my Zoop to nitrox 21 was a different algorithm than air, and made the computer a little less conservative.

A dive ops in Grand Cayman told me setting my Zoop to nitrox 21 was a different algorithm than air, and made the computer a little less conservative.

And what does Zoop say? Perhaps N21 calculates a MOD (which would exceed rec limits anyway) and tracks O2 accumulation which should never be an issue.

This is directly from Suunto app. Look at bottom by red arrow. Suunto says that Nitrox 21 is the same as air. No need to change between air and nitrox settings. Just change the O2 %
20210611_133138.jpg

Reactions: yle
This is directly from Suunto app. Look at bottom by red arrow. Suunto says that Nitrox 21 is the same as air. No need to change between air and nitrox settings. Just change the O2 %
View attachment 664763

That's what I do.

Just checked my Zoop in "plan mode" for both 21% nitrox and air. For 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130 feet I got times of:

Set to 21% nitrox: 69, 50, 36, 28, 22, 17, 13, 10, 9 minutes NDL

In normal air mode: 69, 50, 36, 28, 22, 17, 13, 10, 9 minutes NDL

My Zoop doesn't seem to think there's a difference.

I have experienced this kind of behavior on occasion from dive op employees, i.e. making up nonsense in an effort to impress the customers with their superior knowledge of all things related to diving. I'll make an effort to chat with the nonsenser, swap IDC stories, try to find out how long they've been working as a dive pro.

My research suggests a strong inverse correlation between the time the person has been working and the amount of nonsense they're willing to generate and share with unsuspecting customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom