Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was feeling fine, just really tired.
Feeling really tired can be a sign that you aren't ok. Fatigue is a sign of subclinical DSC and the fact that you developed skin DSC backs this up. Lots of divers are fatigued after diving and blow it off but it's a hint to change the way you dive. Doing something as simple as changing your ascent rate can make a huge difference to how fatigued you feel after a dive.

All I can say in reply to the title of this thread is that I will be returning to Cozumel as long and as often as I can. DSFDF and YMMV.
I'm signed up for the scubaboard trip to Coz next summer! Can't wait!

To be honest I can't think of any dive locations we've visited that I wouldn't return to....some are just preferable to others for various reasons.

To be honest I can't think of any dive locations we've visited that I wouldn't return to....some are just preferable to others for various reasons.
So, as new to the form and recently new back into diving, I have a question. Is it better to do all diving out of Cozumel and stay there or base out of Playa or something and then explore that way? I have not been but am looking into options.

So, as new to the form and recently new back into diving, I have a question. Is it better to do all diving out of Cozumel and stay there or base out of Playa or something and then explore that way? I have not been but am looking into options.
Cozumel definitely has the better diving overall. There are some interesting dives out of PDC like a seasonal bull shark dive or whale shark snorkel as well as cenote dives. And the drift dives don't have the coral formations but are rich in marine life. But I would base in Cozumel and ferry over for those, not the other way around.

We've done a few split ticket trips where we flew into CZM and stayed in Coz 4 or 5 nights, then stayed in PDC 2 or 3 nights and flew out of CUN. That minimized ferry rides to just 1 one-way and allowed us to enjoy 5th Ave. and some nice restaurants over there.

The diving along the barrier reef next to Cozumel is far superior to any that you will find on the mainland side of the channel. My opinion: base on Cozumel. A day trip across to dive the cenotes might appeal to you, but I'd do all my open water diving from Cozumel.

The diving along the barrier reef next to Cozumel is far superior to any that you will find on the mainland side of the channel. My opinion: base on Cozumel. A day trip across to dive the cenotes might appeal to you, but I'd do all my open water diving from Cozumel.

I know a lot of people spend a week in Coz and the last dive day over doing the Cenotes to give their gear a through desalting.

Is it better to do all diving out of Cozumel and stay there
Yep. You might fly into the island do the Cozumel dives including some night dives, then plan on a day or two on the mainland for Cenote dives and flying home from Cancun, but do the ocean dives first. Since you're new, let me suggest...
  • Hiring a private DM for the first couple of Cozumel dives is money well spent, and
  • Dive insurance is important. Most use DAN for that, but Dive Assure offers it for diving outside of the US only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom