Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did Palancar Bricks and Palancar Shallows this morning. Bricks is and remains one of my favorite dives. Simply spectacular. OTOH, the amount of yellow nuisance growth (algae/weed) on the shallow reefs is stupendously bad. Still searching for the elusive brain coral and Lion fish.

Thank you for this report. I was considering going there next month but scratched it off my list of possibles. I have been to many primo dives areas of the world to dive and I do not want to dive in coral rubble.
Suit yourself, but that report was, at the most charitable, a gross exaggeration. I am on the island now and have gone on 10 two tank boat dives in the last 13 days. There is the occasional pile of dead finger coral that may have been there since Wilma, and live brain corals are not plentiful, but everything else looks very good. Palancar Bricks this morning was spectacular.

Did Palancar Bricks and Palancar Shallows this morning. Bricks is and remains one of my favorite dives. Simply spectacular. OTOH, the amount of yellow nuisance growth (algae/weed) on the shallow reefs is stupendously bad. Still searching for the elusive brain coral and Lion fish.

Hmm... I think I saw that nice little unaffected brain at Bolones? Maybe? There was good sized lion at Brick, but I think it is 'missing' now....

I saw quite a few nice but small brain coral on Villa Blanca yesterday.

Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO)

TEE test is simple enough. They give you a little versed to calm you down and slide a camera/probe down your esophagus. You dont even get put to sleep.
You're basically right, but to be fair it's a thick tube that inserted into your esophagus and Versed sedation is not quite enough. You need moderate to deep sedation to blunt airway reflexes for a few minutes, so we usually use small doses of propofol.

An under rated dive imho, but recognize that it's not everyone's cup of tea.
We dove Villablanca twice this trip; one of the dives was a night dive. They were both cool, but the night dive was outstanding, although the current was a bit of an issue. We saw (at night) at least 5 octopus (my wife got some great video), a very large lionfish (the only one we saw in 11 days of diving), and we had a close encounter with a big loggerhead.

We dove Villablanca twice this trip; one of the dives was a night dive. They were both cool, but the night dive was outstanding, although the current was a bit of an issue. We saw (at night) at least 5 octopus (my wife got some great video), a very large lionfish (the only one we saw in 11 days of diving), and we had a close encounter with a big loggerhead.
Can you tell me where the Lion was exactly? What depth and how far NE or SW?

Can you tell me where the Lion was exactly? What depth and how far NE or SW?
We got in right at La Ceiba and the lionfish was right after we got to depth at the top of the wall in about 60 FSW. The current was pretty strong, though, so I don't know how far we drifted as we descended. That's about as specific as I can say.

Back
Top Bottom