Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The camps in the video are much nicer than the hundreds of camps inhabited by thousands in the Portland Oregon metro area.

Gee lets highlight less than a one third of a percent of the US population, where as a significant percentage of the Mexico population lives in the conditions I describe. It is actually a big problem that Mexico is trying to deal with, but they lack the funds to do so.

You can point out strawman arguments all you like, but by all new terms that have replaced the economic definition of "third world," like developing nation, middle income nation, etc Mexico qualifies. Whether you like the term or not, or simply like Mexico, the poster that called Mexico a third world country is correct in doing do by how the term is commonly used now. The Cold War definition is not what people think of.

That does not exist (that I’m aware of) and would be somewhat expensive to do, but it’s a VERY attractive idea! Why maintain a separate gas analyzer (or two) for oxy and monoxide and laboriously check every fill when the transmitter pod on your reg could do it for you automagically?

The Ratio iX3M dive computer has an oxygen analyser (up to 100%) and an integrated gas blender. It also has a bunch of other features that probably aren't needed on a dive computer.
I do not own one or know the price of one. Ratio Dive Computers - iX3M [Pro] Easy

Apparently the Ratio iX3M dive computer has an oxygen analyser as well as an integrated gas blender. It also has a bunch of other features that probably wouldn't be needed on a dive computer. I don't own one or the cost f one. Ratio Dive Computers - iX3M [Pro] Easy
It doesn't check carbon monoxide, so it doesn't meet John's statement.

Why so many people are complaining about the DMs?!!! DMs are not diver's nannies!!! DMs are there to guide you through the dive, because they know the dive site. Each of the divers are responsible for their own life. You are supposed to be trained divers when you go out on a diving trip. I freaking hate to read about all the whining regarding DMs "responsabilities" that are not really theirs.

You dive, you setup, you plan based on the briefing, your knowledge, and your skills.

The Ratio iX3M dive computer has an oxygen analyser (up to 100%) and an integrated gas blender. It also has a bunch of other features that probably aren't needed on a dive computer.
I do not own one or know the price of one. Ratio Dive Computers - iX3M [Pro] Easy

Yeah but it isn't built into the transmitter, which I do think would be awesome.

Also deco games are totally necessary.

Very sorry to hear about your hospital experience in a Cozumel like a few other posters, my experience was much different. I spent 5 days at Clinica Medica San Miguel with Hemorrhagic Dengue. I was very sick! Care was great. Dr. Piccolo was wonderful. It may sound dramatic but I think they saved my life! MMM is right about the food...it’s not included. When I finally could eat I had them pick up dinner from Guidos! I feel the OPs pain on the IV. My nurse did hit the vein on the 2nd try, it was painful. I think the needles used are larger than needles used in the states. An IV insertion never hurt like it did in Cozumel.

Well you can't have everything lol
No, and that's what John said.
That does not exist (that I’m aware of) and would be somewhat expensive to do, but it’s a VERY attractive idea! Why maintain a separate gas analyzer (or two) for oxy and monoxide and laboriously check every fill when the transmitter pod on your reg could do it for you automagically?

Get a life dude. What do any of your comments have to do with scuba diving? Maybe reread the part that you seemed to have missed that discussed hydration, electrolytes, DCS, etc. Big miss on your end. Hmm.

I have quite a bit of experience dealing with severe dehydration with cycling. With myself and aiding others. But I didn’t feel the need to dumb it down until you asked

You sound angry man...not sure why
Most scuba divers fail to understand how people with other worldly experiences can benefit divers.

Jeez, I am slacking and late to this party.

Let me say we were back in Coz like a week ago. Reef wise, I saw what I read about in the college kids reports. SCTLD has killed a lot of hard coral and algae moved in. I guess like the lionfish, it finally made its way to Coz. We had been gone 14 month with the dumb COVID. Back them it looked like the fight was still going on. Anyway, I am a poor judge of comparison. I was just so dang happy to be back. And I will be back this week again. Yea, Moderna.

As to hospitals, the missus thought she would try out a dive accident back in 2018 and see how she liked it. Pulmonary hypertension from some pesky leaking heart valves backed fluid into her lungs. It was on a night dive with the nieces and nephews and she didn't want to ruin it by calling the dive early so she just let them fill up as much as she could. On the safety stop, I couldnt figure out why she finished hers and went up before the group. When I came up, I found her on the later mentioning she couldnt breath. Nice. Got her stripped and on the boat and I got the highflow O2. on her. We were in Paradise, so close to the marina. Stuck her in the car and rushed to International. The O2 helped alot. International could not have been nicer. They were all over her to start. Basically it was mostly a treat the symptoms and hit her with the lasix. Even the medical director came in to help the on duty doctor. He is great guy. Then they stuffed us in the ICU for while. And when I say ICU I mean 3 private rooms with one nurse out front at a desk. And there was no one else there, so it was 1:1 coverage. Find that in the States. Once she seemed mostly back, we moved to the ocean front regular room. OMG, the view was awesome. If you have to be in a hospital, that is the view to have. Funny side note, they did have a translucent film on the very lower part of the floor to ceiling window, apparently because a guy would take his shower naked on his roof top just below the hospital.

Payment wise, it was easy. Blue cross grabbed most of it. DAN caught like $6-700 in copays/deductibles on it. Never even touched our year round trip insurance policy.

As a footnote, came home and got her in for 2 new pig valves as Johns Hopkins and fixed that problem.

The view:

upload_2021-5-3_11-40-13.png
upload_2021-5-3_11-40-13.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom