Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is in a large sinkhole called Rock Lake on private property in Santa Rosa. It is NOT the more famous Blue Hole, which is only deep enough for introductory tech dives.

Ah that explains it. Blue Hole is our local practice spot and I wasn't aware of much tech diving there. Isn't there a chamber in Santa Fe ?

Ah that explains it. Blue Hole is our local practice spot and I wasn't aware of much tech diving there. Isn't there a chamber in Santa Fe ?
If so, it is brand new.

There are hyperbaric clinics in Santa Fe and Albuquerque like the one in Lubbock, but I bet that they only go to 2 ATMs.

3rd world country and you expect NYU care? We all take chances diving exotic places, COZ is no different.

Glad ur aok.
Actually care in a 3rd world country can be better than back home. I’ve been living in Colombia for several years now and am amazed of how much better the care is here IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT. I would not be satisfied if I had to use the standard obligatory insurance but I have a premium plan where I have access to the best docs and even house calls. The docs here spend more time with me and actually explain things.

Wow. I remember during basic training our drill sergeants sets would call out “canteen drill” and everyone had to pull out a canteen, drink the entire canteen and hold it over your head upside down until the entire platoon was done. One day during commo class someone wasn’t paying attention so of course the DS punished the entire platoon by making us do a number of canteen drills in a short amount of time. At one point a Soldier said he couldn’t drink anymore and of course the DS had an issue with that so the Soldier kept on drinking.

That Soldier soon started vomiting from drinking so the DS yelled at him to stop but this guy, to get back at the DS, kept on drinking g and throwing up. Didn’t realize till much later that he could have caused serious harm with this type of punishment.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
Disagree on how it’s used today. Today 3rd world means undeveloped or developing countries. In other words are they industrialized/post industrialized or are their economies Bustillos based on agriculture.

... am amazed of how much better the care is here IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

I assure you that many government employed folks in the USA can afford magnificent healthcare too. I was involved in my local town renegotiating the police/firemen benefits package. The sticking point was a reluctance by them to pay ANY part of a drug co-pay. Town wanted them to pay $5 copay for a Tier 2 or 3 drug. Unions told the town to stick it. They won.

"If you can afford it"? Then OBVIOUSLY healthcare is a non-issue. This is not Colombia specific.

I don't quite know how this thread shifted this way, but here is a 3rd world/Cozumel health care story.

Years ago my son in his early 20s was still on our family health insurance, and he got an eye infection. He was prescribed a prescription medication, for which we paid our standard $30 co-pay. Several months later the infection returned, and we again paid the standard $30 co-pay.

Several months later we were in Cozumel together, and the infection returned. He went to the local pharmacy and bought exactly the same medication over the counter for $5.

My last post is an example of what I learned after a half century of American healthcare--we are often overpaying for both medication and services with our copays alone.

I was once badly injured in an accident that was another person's fault, and it required expensive surgery, for which I paid several thousand dollars in copays. I sued, and the attorney told me ahead of time that my insurance would bill me after the suit to recover their costs for the surgery. When it was all over, I didn't pay the insurance company a dime, because they had not actually paid a thing. It was all covered by my copays. All the billing information I received was smoke and mirrors designed to hide that fact.

Not long after that, I had some work done that was not totally necessary. The copay was large, and I hesitated. To cut to the end of the story, I learned that if I had walked into the hospital and told them I did not have any insurance, they would have charged me significantly less than my copay.

maybe for you but years ago with no insurance I needed a major surgery. So went to hospital and said what kind of discount can you do if I pay cash. They just laughed.

Back
Top Bottom